Looking at a 1991 73, would like ya'lls opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BLUF: I am stationed in Japan. I found a '91 73 MWB, 4200 NA, 5-speed, Factory Diffs. Was just looking for a quick look to make sure it all seems to jive look wise and get ya'lls general thoughts. Is the price alright considering the US market (~$20k USD w/ tax & shipping) if I was in a bind and needed to sell to feed the fam.

Thanks for any insight! -Brandon

Link: トヨタ ランドクルーザー70 ZX デフロック ブラットレーV16インチAW ETC

Hey all, quick intro. I am currently stationed overseas in Japan and am looking to get a 70-series to bring back to the states with me when I return. I came across one I am partial to. It's a '91 73 medium wheel base with an NA 4200 and 5-speed. It's obviously got the FRP top and has the stock lockers as well. Unfortunately, I'm in a situation similar to if I was importing where the vehicle is not feasible to go look at. The reason is I have family visiting for the next 2 weeks and I would have to fly from Okinawa up to Tokyo to see it.

In any case, the dealer it's at is part of a network that I believe to be reputable. I have a translator contacting them tomorrow to get a quote with shipping (I received a quote already, but not with shipping). Also to ask the basic questions for bigger pictures, a video, if it will pass the local inspection, any inoperable parts, etc.

My question is, what do you guys think about it? Does anything stick out to you as not jiving? With taxes and shipping it should come in around the $20k USD ballpark. If I lost my legs and had to sell it to feed my family, would I lose a ton of money in the states?

It could be heaven or hell. It really needs someone to do a visual inspection. The 1HZ engine is fairly bullet proof and so is the H55F gearbox but some people do destroy them.
I would avoid one with lots of modifications. Generally they are simple vehicles and making them right is usually fairly easy ,but the $$$ can add up.

First off, where in Japan are you?

Second, it's a Flex net truck which generally means two things, it's expensive, and it's decent quality. That said, it's expensive. $16k is about $4k too much. Also, I'm not sure where you're getting $20k from because depending on your location and the location of the truck, shipping and registration/safety inspections/etc should be around $1500.

Lastly, if you're trying to buy a cruiser in Japan pm me for the full rundown. I just left Okinawa with my 77. @NanaMaru maybe be inclined to offer advice as well.

Hello,

It is ZX grade, which explains the lockers and electric windows/locks/mirrors.

A few things I noticed:
  1. Spare tire carrier is missing. So are the ZX and Toyota badges in the back.
  2. Front grille has been replaced by the post-1999 version.
  3. The dash seems to have non-factory wiring.
  4. It appears to have been re-sprayed.
  5. Engine has rust.
  6. Steering wheels and wheels are aftermarket.
As rosco/@roscoFJ73 mentioned, it could be heaven or hell.

To me, engine rust is a concern, and so is the non-factory wiring. From my experience, dealing with the latter can be a real pain. On the other hand, rusted engine components might need replacements, and sourcing parts in the US can be complicated.

Re-spraying can hide body rust.

You may need to install a spare tire carrier and procure a wheel. As for the engine, you should get somebody, or yourself, to have it test driven.

For that amount of money, I would look for a cleaner (i. e., less modified) example. As for the resale value, the less modified the truck, the higher the price. This one has a few too many changes for me.

Summing up, have the Cruiser inspected by someone you trust or yourself. It has been modified, which can be troublesome. If resale value is important for you, it might be better to look for a cleaner unit.

Hope this helps.

Juan

The translator just sent me a few larger pictures. It looks like there is actually rust that has been painted over so def a nogo. Also, there is evidence of new paint already flaking on the engine bay at the hood support on the radiator crossmember and on the inside of the fender.

I appreciate ya'lls help. DiveMedic, I PM'd you for some of that inside knowledge.

I thought that by 91 ,the Japanese models had the roll cage and rear seat belts , like after 87?

Good luck with your search. I got my 92 from Aomori. It has been resprayed which I think may be the 3rd time. The engine and tranny are solid but the deeper I dig, the more rust I find. Every weekend Im out with the wheel, grinding off paint and putting POR15 on the spots. I now have a hole in the rear left floor that I can see daylight through. I really wanted to take it back stateside, but Im still not sure what Im looking at total when it comes to rust repair. Not to mention, good body work here on Okinawa is like finding the needle in a haystack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom