300 series rumors??? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had one in the 90's a euro 280 G with the inline 6, no frills, no gadget, was bullet proof. My guess is they loaded the new ones with way too much tech designed for road use, as opposed to how basic and awesome it was originally. Mine did not even have electric windows, just a heater and a radio.

Even the lockers in mine were hydrolic pull levers.

Why are G waggen so unreliable? I would think, given the length of production, it would be very very reliable?

Mercedes quality and reliability is in the ditch. I don't know that I'll ever own another - I've been burned too many times in the 2000s.

Here have been my MBs:

69 220D - bulletproof and vault like
71 240D - bulletproof and vault like
80 300CD - ditto
93 300E - ditto
95 C280 - pretty good but started seeing issues
97 C280 - ditto
1999 ML320 - garbage
2000 ML320 - garbage
2002 C280 - cheapening continues
2007 GL450 - in about the same class as a Dodge Durango I had once - pathetic joke of an automobile. Very little right about that car.

Had to say bye bye to MB. I can't believe people still buy those things. I never hear anything good from owners.

Mercedes quality and reliability is in the ditch. I don't know that I'll ever own another - I've been burned too many times in the 2000s.

Here have been my MBs:

69 220D - bulletproof and vault like
71 240D - bulletproof and vault like
80 300CD - ditto
93 300E - ditto
95 C280 - pretty good but started seeing issues
97 C280 - ditto
1999 ML320 - garbage
2000 ML320 - garbage
2002 C280 - cheapening continues
2007 GL450 - in about the same class as a Dodge Durango I had once - pathetic joke of an automobile. Very little right about that car.

Had to say bye bye to MB. I can't believe people still buy those things. I never hear anything good from owners.

WOW! You were like the MB KING! Sadly, that makes for super-legitimate...damning evidence of real decline.

Our 2010 GL550 was pretty solid for the two years we had it, from ~59k to ~89k. Only had an air shock fail, but that's not a big deal. I also had a 2005 E55 AMG that I loved. I think your biggest problem in that list was two MLs, which are widely known to be the worst Merc built in that era.

Our 2010 GL550 was pretty solid for the two years we had it, from ~59k to ~89k. Only had an air shock fail, but that's not a big deal. I also had a 2005 E55 AMG that I loved. I think your biggest problem in that list was two MLs, which are widely known to be the worst Merc built in that era.

While the MLs were indeed junk, our GL was far worse. It would take me an hour to recount and list all of the troubles that befell that POS.

Land Rover announced the replacement for the LR4 yesterday. The Discovery. Not available until 2017. A handful of "cute" and potentially useful new features and innovations. Which also means opportunity for issues. In a few years we'll see if they have improved their reliability. I'm glad we're into a LC now and very happy with the 200-series. The interesting thing about the Land Rover Discovery is how they have significantly shifted the design to look more like a typical SUV and have focused on MPG and soccer Mom convenience. Gone is the split tailgate to be replaced by a full size tailgate with an optional faux tailgate or something.

I wonder if Toyota would feel the need in the net LC model to shift in similar ways.

Land Rover announced the replacement for the LR4 yesterday. The Discovery. Not available until 2017. A handful of "cute" and potentially useful new features and innovations. Which also means opportunity for issues. In a few years we'll see if they have improved their reliability. I'm glad we're into a LC now and very happy with the 200-series. The interesting thing about the Land Rover Discovery is how they have significantly shifted the design to look more like a typical SUV and have focused on MPG and soccer Mom convenience. Gone is the split tailgate to be replaced by a full size tailgate with an optional faux tailgate or something.

I wonder if Toyota would feel the need in the net LC model to shift in similar ways.

Could be, although I see the Highlander filling that niche - an SUV on car running gear that translates into pretty decent MPG.

I believe the discovery chassis is more car-like, while the RR and RRS chassis or more truck-like.

Could be, although I see the Highlander filling that niche - an SUV on car running gear that translates into pretty decent MPG.

I believe the discovery chassis is more car-like, while the RR and RRS chassis or more truck-like.

Yes, though the LR4 was a truck (body on frame) like the LC, the new Discovery is different. They claimed to have dropped nearly 1K#. That's pretty significant. Only time will tell how it holds up for off pavement use.

Good point about the Highlander. Some have suggest that LR has to move to more fuel efficient vehicles because they don't have enough or sell enough of those. Toyota, on the other hand, has a lot of vehicles that are fuel efficient so their overall average is likely much better than LR will ever be. I guess I wouldn't mind them losing some weight on the LC, but not if they compromise durability, and dynamics both on and off road. But I expect we have some time before Toyota makes their next move.

I agree on the Mercedes ML being a total piece of junk. I had, well the princess had, a 2006 ML500 and it was the worst car I have ever had the pleasure to own. Great power, but never trusted it to get her where she needed to go.

The sad thing was, she went from 100 series to that...she then saw the light why LC are what they are.

I agree on the Mercedes ML being a total piece of junk. I had, well the princess had, a 2006 ML500 and it was the worst car I have ever had the pleasure to own. Great power, but never trusted it to get her where she needed to go.

The sad thing was, she went from 100 series to that...she then saw the light why LC are what they are.

And, did you make sure there was a 2F growl after she saw the light? :)

We traded a perfectly nice 01 LX470 for a 07 GL450. That was a $35,000 mistake - the GL dropped about $35K in two years and it didn't light a candle to the LX.

The best car is the one you already own.

And, did you make sure there was a 2F growl after she saw the light? :)

She's still growling... she still hasn't gone back to the light. She now is giving Infinity a try. However when the 300 series comes out...that light is going to be shining right in her face.

I offered to buy my wife a new LC and she insisted on a white Range Rover Sport.

I've always been a RR skeptic but I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with the RRS. It's built like a tank, super fast, and technologies that I haven't seen elsewhere.

So far no problems.

I offered to buy my wife a new LC and she insisted on a white Range Rover Sport.

I've always been a RR skeptic but I have to admit I'm pretty impressed with the RRS. It's built like a tank, super fast, and technologies that I haven't seen elsewhere.

So far no problems.

How many miles have you put on your RR Sport so far?

So far no problems.

Land Rover definitely makes cool vehicles. Before I bought my LC, I had a RRS, my wife has an LR4, and I had an old discovery back in the day. I got rid of the RRS at 40K miles because the roof kept leaking, the discovery left me stranded on the side of the road 3 times at less than 100K miles, and the LR4 is beginning to show signs of air suspension troubles at 50K miles (warning light keeps coming on). The major issue with Land Rover is and always has been reliability. The reason I bought the land cruiser is that it appears to be f'in bulletproof inside and out, and that's the reputation it has built over the past 50 years or so. If Land Rover could ever figure out how to build a reliable vehicle, I may eventually get another one.

I'm waiting for THIS Land Cruiser:

LC300.jpg

An armored vehicle with bling wheels?

Brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom