Monstaliner Bedliner (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm slowly getting the tub done: replaced all the panels and just primed everything using a HVLP spray gun I had a hard time getting good coverage underneath the rockers and inside the rear fender wells. I was able to do it by feathering it in from an extremely angle.
Here's my question: I was planning on lining the bottom and inside of the tub with a spray gun but now I'm not sure it would be possible at those funky angles. Has anyone attacked this yet? I wasn't sure if it would be best to roll or brush it In the corners and then spray it down? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Here's a pic of where I think there would be a problem: especially behind the gas tank pocket etc

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I may be changing my tune on Monsaliner spraying. I did it yesterday, cooler temps in the 70's, added 4oz of MEK per gallon, and it turned out really nice.

Pics to come.

I sprayed last night again, the second color, again turned out good. Temp was in the 80's so it dried faster on me; however, still looks good. I spray outside, so I can't adjust temp.

Not sure if the adding the MEK or the temps were the key; however, it seemed to go just fine.

I still like the finished product look of raptor better (only slightly) as well as the more flexible timing of the dry time, and ambient temperature.

Posted a quick pic on the FOO build. Will take some more pics later.

I'm slowly getting the tub done: replaced all the panels and just primed everything using a HVLP spray gun I had a hard time getting good coverage underneath the rockers and inside the rear fender wells. I was able to do it by feathering it in from an extremely angle.
Here's my question: I was planning on lining the bottom and inside of the tub with a spray gun but now I'm not sure it would be possible at those funky angles. Has anyone attacked this yet? I wasn't sure if it would be best to roll or brush it In the corners and then spray it down? Any suggestions would be appreciated

For anywhere you can't direct a spray gun, you typically cannot see, so I use a paint brush that I cut the handle off, so it is very short. Who cares if it is messy??? The goal is to cover or protect. I do this for primer or for liner material. Note painted with brush primer usually takes 3 coats, FYI.

So while I rolled my truck myself, I dropped my bumper off to be sprayed. The shop didn't want to screw up their spray gun so they rolled it on with normal roller, doing an absolutely terrible job. There's zero texture to the monstaliner and if you breathe on it, it scrapes off.

So now I have to buy another can of Monstaliner and roll it myself. Prep wise, what do I need to do here? Do I just lightly sand and wipe it down like I did when I painted my truck? I'm concerned it will not have a solid base to adhere to since it's already so delicate right now.

unfortunately you need to take off everything the shop did, sand with 120 or so and do it again.

Monstaliner (or anything auto paint related) is all about prepwork. To me bedliner is easy, because it will cover scratches. I typically finish my work with 80 grit, then go to primer and then Monstaliner.

I have no doubt that Monsta will stick to the bad monstaliner on your bumper; however, it sounds like the current liner has no grip to your bumper, so that will not increase the strength of the bond.

FYI, I just touched up my Monstaliner while I was doing my doors, and in the area that I wire brushed, it did great. Wire brush on a drill - quick and simple. The spots that I did no prepwork with wire brush, it blew off during washing.

Forgot to post pictures of the latest spray Quality.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks 2fpower- I already had the brushes picked out! On your 2-tone liner what did you use for tape that would contour with the texture?

I use 3m vinyl 3M 6408 - Vinyl Tape | O'Reilly Auto Parts tape. You can find it at Orielly's.

Two tricks. First lay down this tape. It is great to make a straight line. Then put a second layer of masking tape over this, leaving maybe 1/8 inch of the vinyl tape exposed. Second trick is that after spraying, I clean my gun out, then take off the tape at a 90 degree angle to the surface. likely about 10 minutes after spraying the last coat. The point is that you take the tape off when the paint is still wet, but starting to set. If you wait, it will peal, crack, and not cut without a razor.

The vinyl tape works great for the second coat also. it flexes really good. only issue I find is the inside corners. Try to use a plastic piece to work into the corner so you don't stretch the tape. I typically tape all my pieces then come back and have to cut the tape in the corners because they shrink and pull off the surface, and put a small piece of tape to cover.

Hi all. I am getting ready to shoot the exterior of my rig in Monstaliner. Has ANYONE had any success in using a ghost pearl or ice pearl in an intercoat over the liner base coat? If not, any pros/cons to shooting a pearl over the liner? Would it not work correctly? No benefit? Thoughts, thanks!

While the prep was a huge pain in the ass, I'm definitely happy with it.

The aluminum tape to cover the holes worked pretty well but not great. You can definitely see the outline for some of the holes, but most people won't notice.

1 gallon was exactly the amount I needed for the sides and rear plus some patch spots where the roof rack was. It was not enough to do the roof or front bumper as I had originally planned.

I decided to have the front bumper sprayed by a pro, there's no way I could get a consistent finish with full coverage via roller.

IMAG0889.jpg

IMAG0888.jpg

IMAG0886.jpg

IMG_20160618_184604.jpg

Do you have any picts of your tape prep? I have a black 97 that was egged below the body line and am planning to do exactly what you did and also want to maintain the original emblems on the tailgate. I have read this thread thru, but do you have any additional advice or problems you ran into? Thanks

Do you have any picts of your tape prep? I have a black 97 that was egged below the body line and am planning to do exactly what you did and also want to maintain the original emblems on the tailgate. I have read this thread thru, but do you have any additional advice or problems you ran into? Thanks

The tape job on mine isn't perfect, but unless you're looking really closely it's hard to see with black. I just used 3M masking tape and took my time. If you want to be really exact, start with really narrow tape to get the line right and then wider tape over the back edge of the narrow tape. Check out some YT videos of guys painting hood stripes, might be some good tips there.

Has anyone done a light quartz gray/pyroclastic combo? Seems like it would be close to the two tone colors that the 60 series came in.

I sprayed 2 coats of Monstaliner on Thursday evening (22nd) and it is still pretty soft. A light press with a fingernail will leave an impression on the thick parts, is this normal? It was about 50 degrees when I sprayed and it rained 12 hours later for an entire day. Will the "softness" go away in a few days or did the rain/cold screw up the cure?

I sprayed 2 coats of Monstaliner on Thursday evening (22nd) and it is still pretty soft. A light press with a fingernail will leave an impression on the thick parts, is this normal? It was about 50 degrees when I sprayed and it rained 12 hours later for an entire day. Will the "softness" go away in a few days or did the rain/cold screw up the cure?

Right in the instructions: "If working in an unheated garage or warehouse space, do not apply if temperature is expected to drop below 50°F. After the coating had been installed, do not expose to temperatures below 50°F for the first 12 hours after application.”

I’m guessing that if it was “about 50 degrees” when you did it, that it dropped below that at night and screwed things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom