Solid wheels and brake cooling issues? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hi everyone,
So I am strongly thinking of getting these Wheel Vintiques smoothies (16x7) for my FJ62 (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-670604/overview/). I love the look but was wondering about any problems with having a solid wheel. Is that problem for disc brakes needing air flow to cool down? Probably over thinking this but was curious if anyone might know of any issues with this kind of a setup. Thanks!

Not scientific in any way, but nearly all modern wheels have holes in them. Nothing is lighter than a hole, which is always good for braking, and holes allow air to move, so it must help, at least some.

Not scientific in any way, but nearly all modern wheels have holes in them. Nothing is lighter than a hole, which is always good for braking, and holes allow air to move, so it must help, at least some.
Yeah, that is kinda what I was thinking. The stock 60 wheels look like they would allow a lot more air movement compared to these wheels.

If it's that big of a deal to you, pull the dust shields off of the backside of the brake disks..

IMHO, I would not worry one second about it.

Thanks. Just curious as you don't see solid wheels on a lot of more modern vehicles, mainly old hot rods. Now I know that might be a style or weight issue but it got me thinking about sufficient venting of hot disc brakes.

The 62 (not sure about 60s) disc backing plates also have air scoops in them to funnel air flow to the discs. Obviously only works when moving.
image.jpg

They are still going to get airflow on the back side of the rotors from air diverted by the tire itself... If you are that concerned about it measure the rotor temps with an IR gun with stock wheels and your new wheels.

Yeah, I do understand they will get airflow on the backside. Just wasn't sure if that would be sufficient when say coming down a mountain pass with these heavy rigs. Always better to ask the community first. Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I overthink things sometimes.

Just wasn't sure if that would be sufficient when say coming down a mountain pass with these heavy rigs. Always better to ask the community first. Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I overthink things sometimes.

My daughter over heated my disc brakes on my FJ62 with stock wheels/tire size and vents coming down a hill . I was driving my 68 FJ40 with stock drum brakes and had no problem. She was eighteen at the time and I hadn't taught her about down shifting so was really my fault. Off road or on gearing is always the main way I use to slow down. Don't care how well you try to cool your brakes they are going to get hot if your riding them going down a hill. Last thing you want is hot brakes if you need to make a emergency stop.

:cheers:

I'd use vented rotors for solid wheels and solid rotors for vented wheels.

If you are looking for a more academic answer, read some of the master thesis for discussion on aerodynamic effects on disc cooling. Many engineering studies have been done on the subject. Here's one:
https://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:6207/Stephens.pdf

Interesting read, thanks for sharing that!

My daughter over heated my disc brakes on my FJ62 with stock wheels/tire size and vents coming down a hill . I was driving my 68 FJ40 with stock drum brakes and had no problem. She was eighteen at the time and I hadn't taught her about down shifting so was really my fault. Off road or on gearing is always the main way I use to slow down. Don't care how well you try to cool your brakes they are going to get hot if your riding them going down a hill. Last thing you want is hot brakes if you need to make a emergency stop.

:cheers:

Totally agree that how you use the brakes makes a big difference as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom