Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We saw my surgeon's PA yesterday (surgeon was called to the ER) and he was vey pleased... He said, "this is what we expected last week. Very sorry you had to go thru all the pain. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen". :doh:

Anyway, I'm now on track... Just a week behind. We started weaning me off of OxyContin and I was released to walk my dogs again!! This surprised me, but we were up at 4am and out for a cool, pre-dawn walk... Just like old times!! :bounce:

I also started cutting back on the muscle relaxers and finished the steroids... Now I'm anxious to see if the various sensations (needles and pins, tickles, aches, pain, numb toes, etc.) return... I can live with most of them, but hope they're gone after I'm off OxyContin... We'll see... :clap:

Excellent news Danny! Since you were released to walk with daboise, now is the time to start rebuilding the stamina, very carefully. I know you aren't cleared to drive 44 for a while yet, but it sure doesn't hurt to dream, and plan ahead.

Don

Excellent news Danny! Since you were released to walk with daboise, now is the time to start rebuilding the stamina, very carefully. I know you aren't cleared to drive 44 for a while yet, but it sure doesn't hurt to dream, and plan ahead.

Don

Oh, I'm working in it, Don!!

...and you're correct... 44's suspension is too stiff for me right now... But, I'm gonna start her up today and let her run in the garage for a bit... I've been dreaming for a while.

I wish you well. Pain free (or close) without drugs is a wonderful thing.

Thanks!!

We saw my surgeon's PA yesterday (surgeon was called to the ER) and he was vey pleased... He said, "this is what we expected last week. Very sorry you had to go thru all the pain. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen". :doh:

Anyway, I'm now on track... Just a week behind. We started weaning me off of OxyContin and I was released to walk my dogs again!! This surprised me, but we were up at 4am and out for a cool, pre-dawn walk... Just like old times!! :bounce:

I also started cutting back on the muscle relaxers and finished the steroids... Now I'm anxious to see if the various sensations (needles and pins, tickles, aches, pain, numb toes, etc.) return... I can live with most of them, but hope they're gone after I'm off OxyContin... We'll see... :clap:

Hey Danny great news on your progress, a laparoscopic miracle! Look forward to seeing you on the trails real soon bro!

Hey Danny great news on your progress, a laparoscopic miracle! Look forward to seeing you on the trails real soon bro!

Thanks Mike!!

Dr Dianna won't be allowing me on the trails until 2017... At least not with 44's stiff suspension... But, I'll take a XMas trip with my SIL, in his T4R, weather permitting.

With my non-laparoscopic surgery I was in bed for a month so comparatively you are doing very well, however, no need to push yourself just hang in there till 2017, it's just around the corner. When you do get out again on the trails just deflate the bags a bit and you should do OK.

With my non-laparoscopic surgery I was in bed for a month so comparatively you are doing very well, however, no need to push yourself just hang in there till 2017, it's just around the corner. When you do get out again on the trails just deflate the bags a bit and you should do OK.

Yeah the bags and the tires... I'll air them both down... Need that soft ride!!

During brief periods of lucidity, I'm try to document 44's fuel delivery system.

The system is comprised of two tanks, two filters, two electric fuel pumps, a Pollak 6-port switching valve and a DPDT switch.

The DPDT switch selects the tank, via the Pollak... The Pollak selects the associated fuel sender and the appropriate fuel pump. The Oil Pressure Safety Switch controls whether the fuel pump is allowed to pump.

Would y'all tell me if this sufficiently describes it, or should I draw it out?

Edit: IGNORE the following drug-degraded fuel system doc... I can't delete it. Posting drug-free version, with drawing in a later post.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
During brief periods of lucidity, I'm try to document 44's fuel delivery system.

The system is comprised of two tanks, two filters, two electric fuel pumps, a Pollak 6-port switching valve and a DPDT switch.

The DPDT switch selects the tank, via the Pollak... The Pollak selects the associated fuel sender and the appropriate fuel pump. The Oil Pressure Safety Switch controls whether the fuel pump is allowed to pump.

Would y'all tell me if this sufficiently describes it, or should I draw it out?

View attachment 1321550
Danny it looks well thought out but I am horrible at this. I bet it's exactly as you planned

Danny it looks well thought out but I am horrible at this. I bet it's exactly as you planned

Thanks... But, to be honest... I don't recall doing this :confused:

I think I'll look at it when I'm de-drugged and will probably draw it out as well. :idea:

Hey Ryan,

I'm sure your "Wow" is directed at my TMI, but I just learned that Dianna had the forethought (and lack of empathy) to document my personal "journey through the hallway of hell"... She says its so she can prove to the doctor, just how painful this was..

I would take her at her word, but she has already shared this photo with her friends and yet, I only learned of the existence of the photo moments ago.

Not the best quality, but you can make out the headless hulk slowly making his way to the throne... Get the picture?
View attachment 1319128

Just catching up here Danny. In the frat house, they call that bowing to the porcelain throne!

How did I miss that photo? I have not been in that much pain before but I know how debilitating a bad back can be since I went through 3 years of different PT sessions, multiple injections, etc for bulging and degenerating discs. There had been times it was nearly impossible to get up and/or stand still for longer than a couple of minutes. Glad to hear things are trending positively!

How did I miss that photo? I have not been in that much pain before but I know how debilitating a bad back can be since I went through 3 years of different PT sessions, multiple injections, etc for bulging and degenerating discs. There had been times it was nearly impossible to get up and/or stand still for longer than a couple of minutes. Glad to hear things are trending positively!

Me too, Mike!! :)

Ok... I'm off all meds, except Tylenol, as needed... Completely pain free... I don't even have any of the pain I had before surgery!!

I have to be very careful not to bend, twist or lift anything until the vertebraes fuse...should be fully baked by Xmas.

DaBoise and I are walking an average of 3 miles per day, in one mile increments... Dianna joins us when she's home.

So, I'm very happy with the decision to have the surgery... I worked way too hard, for 43 years, to not be able to enjoy retirement!!

Anyway, here's my drug-free version of 44's fuel system... I know... It doesn't look drug-free :rolleyes: but, it's the best I could do... I don't do drawrings...

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

My RedLineTuning gas struts arrived last evening... I'm going to have help lifting my hood, once I'm able to install them!!

Today started uneventfully, until daBoise and I made the last turn toward home, in our first 1/4 mile lap... Then a 16 year old boy opened his front door and two pit bulls came flying down the driveway... A pair of torpedoes... Right for Gunner... He was closest to them.

This was my first walk sans walking stick... From now on, I'll carry my homemade, axe handle cane!!

I don't know what I would have done if the Mom and the boy hadn't pulled them off of Gunner... I was trying to help him, but also trying to save my semi-fused vertebrae...

Poor Gunner was crying and pleading with me... He also crapped all over them and himself.

Animal Control took the main culprit... He was the one who broke the skin in several places... Quarantine... Gunner is quarantined for 10 days at home.

I had to wake Dianna, even though she didn't get to sleep until 4am, so she could bathe Gunner's rear end and run him to the vet... They kept him all day and X-rays proved he has no bone damage... The worst is the soft tissue crushing to his left foreleg elbow joint... Very painful, but he should be ok.

Stitches on two of the 5 open wound.

The lady followed us to the vet this afternoon, to pick him up, and paid the $852 bill in full.

Between the eyes and his elbow...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ouch, I'm glad it didn't turn out any worse than that Danny. Hopefully those wounds heal quick!

And don't try any of Gunners meds, stick to your own!

I don't understand how people don't control their dogs - that is your responsibility as an owner. :mad: I'm sure that has "never" happened before.

Thankfully all are reasonably okay. Guess Gunner was feeling sympathy for you Danny and didn't want you going through recovery by yourself. Thanks for taking one for the team Gunner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom