front wheel bearing adjustment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

curtislow

Third fj40
Threads
I'm in the middle of doing my front knuckles,calipers, tie rod ends and brakes. I just put my tie rod end on and put the tires back on checking for clearance and any other issues. My question is , is there supposed to be any side to side movement with the truck up on stands and grasping the tire in the 3 o'clock and nine o'clock position?
When I set the wheel bearings I tightened them to 49 Lbs spun the tire, loosened, repeated and then torqued to 21 lbs from some where I read to do this.Should they be tighter? Thanks. I did do a guick search but hoped someone might chime in and give me an answer,I'm no mechanic I just play one in my garage.

I'm in the middle of doing my front knuckles,calipers, tie rod ends and brakes. I just put my tie rod end on and put the tires back on checking for clearance and any other issues. My question is , is there supposed to be any side to side movement with the truck up on stands and grasping the tire in the 3 o'clock and nine o'clock position?
When I set the wheel bearings I tightened them to 49 Lbs spun the tire, loosened, repeated and then torqued to 21 lbs from some where I read to do this.Should they be tighter? Thanks. I did do a guick search but hoped someone might chime in and give me an answer,I'm no mechanic I just play one in my garage.
I also failed to mention I do not have the tie rods tightened into position yet,Maybe I should wait and see if that could be causing the movement but I don't think so.

the word on the street in these parts is:
these are large bearings, they can deal with being over tightened much better than being under tightened. they are not small car bearings that will/can fail very quickly from being too tight. so it is better error on the tight side.
over tight will create heat.
under tight will allow the inner bearing race to spin on the spindle....ruining the spindle.
side to side movement that you can feel, is loose enough to allow the inner race to spin.

rotational movement only.
no side to side movement at all.
so yes, yours are not tight enough.
Should I just tighten by
the word on the street in these parts is:
these are large bearings, they can deal with being over tightened much better than being under tightened. they are not small car bearings that will/can fail very quickly from being too tight. so it is better error on the tight side.
over tight will create heat.
under tight will allow the inner bearing race to spin on the spindle....ruining the spindle.
side to side movement that you can feel, is loose enough to allow the inner race to spin.
Thanks Brian, I'm reading as I wait for replies and I get what your saying,I never really did them before and followed a procedure found in the faq section. I think ther're loose,but I'm going to wait until I get all the other tie rod ends tightened up and re check for side to side movement.I don't know if it makes any difference , maybe thats the wrong thing to do but I did'nt notice the movement when I first did the drivers side knucle rebuild a short time ago.
Thanks and sorry for the novice questions.

Tie rods have nothing to do with this. Your wheel should not move like this. It generally means your bearings are bad, but in this case you might want to think about going over your work. Better to get it right now. Sometimes people's responses/posts aren't perfectly accurate. Refer to the factory service manual for correct torque specs, procedures, etc...

Tie rods have nothing to do with this. Your wheel should not move like this. It generally means your bearings are bad, but in this case you might want to think about going over your work. Better to get it right now. Sometimes people's responses/posts aren't perfectly accurate. Refer to the factory service manual for correct torque specs, procedures, etc...
Thanks ,I tightened up my new tie rod ends and alot of movement side to side went away,but I agree,tomorrow I'm going to take off my locking hub and re seat and tighten up the axle bearing nut and take out the play. Do you think it's ok to reuse the paper gaskets for the locking hubs?

Maybe check your trunion bearings also. Connecting the tie rods only lessened your ability to perceive the movement. Not an area for mistakes. I'm sure it will come together with some double checking. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom