'96 Catalytic Converter Delete Mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've seen two shops around here - one muffler, one general - that have statements on their website and/or counter saying that bypassing emissions equipment is illegal, they won't do it, don't ask. No emissions inspections here for several years now. YMMV

Isn't Colorado a CARB state like California?

I think Colorado ( and Arizona) are similar to California smog requirements, but only in the major metropolitan areas, and a bit more practical.

AFAIK, only Denver & Boulder have emissions testing now. Used to be state wide, but that stopped a number of years ago.

Each state follows the EPA rules a bit differently. Colorado follows many of the same rules when it comes to test standards, but Colorado does not have a list of approved replacement equipment like california does.

Also, whomever said CARB cats are 3x the price is also off base. For the 1FZFE, the CARB cats are like $30-$35 more expensive per cat. So, the non-Carb is ~$100 and the CARB version is ~$130. So 30% more expensive, not 300% - what's a magnitude of 10 between friends? Looking at the walker cats. The carb cats also usually come with a warranty that is significantly better, it's a wonder where the mud mantra of replacing things before they wear out and overpaying for the "Best" is in the presence of catalytic converters?

As a guy who's wife has an over-sensitive nose, I can say a good reason not to remove the cats would be not to offend your fellow motorist's senses. Or cause marital strife. She makes me change lanes and hang back several blocks whenever we end up behind a smelly clunker. On the same token, the argument of adding to the already bad reputation of the offroad community is very valid.

And I might get flamed for being a liberal hippie douche (to quote southpark), but I actually care if I'm contributing more than my fair share of hazardous crap into the air.

AFAIK, only Denver & Boulder have emissions testing now. Used to be state wide, but that stopped a number of years ago.

Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and surrounding front range metro counties. The majority of the state's population falls into this group. It was never state-wide, but they are aiming to make it that way--probably will never happen due to funding/resources in rural counties.

Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, and surrounding front range metro counties. The majority of the state's population falls into this group. It was never state-wide, but they are aiming to make it that way--probably will never happen due to funding/resources in rural counties.

Also, if you live outside of the Air Care Co "zone" but regularly commute into the zone, you are supposed to be subject to emissions testing for the vehicle you are commuting with. Not sure how they enforce it, but rules are rules....

Dropped the money on a magnaflow downpipe with cat, second cat (CARB compliant), 2.5" pipe, stainless flow through muffler and had a reputable shop do the work, not a single complaint. The power gained is so minimal, ditching the cats just looks (and smells) bad. Guess it's that motto, "do it right or don't do it" I learned long ago stuck well.

Dropped the money on a magnaflow downpipe with cat, second cat (CARB compliant), 2.5" pipe, stainless flow through muffler and had a reputable shop do the work, not a single complaint. The power gained is so minimal, ditching the cats just looks (and smells) bad. Guess it's that motto, "do it right or don't do it" I learned long ago stuck well.
How much for that?

You can't tell me you have never sat behind a 60's muscle car at an intersection and enjoyed the exhilarating sensation of stinging eyes and nostrils from the pure unfiltered awesomeness of an un-catted American V8.:steer:

In all seriousness, don't stink up the joint people.:yuck:

When I ran test pipes on my Mustang during a dyno run, I picked up a whopping 4hp and lost 2 lb.ft......well within the margin of error.

I went to a 3-way single cat which made it much easier to run the exhaust over the frame like the earlier 93/94/setup.

I don't think that switch cats makes any difference. I've seen a few trucks which just rotate the stock cats so they're more out of the way and then run the 93-94 pipe which goes over the frame.

It does make a smaller target for rocks, though.

Yeah, just ease for the exhaust guy, straightens out the Y pipe/better flow, little boost in HP/TQ. Plus it takes something that will inevitably fail at some point out of the equation.

It's not a must do. It's pretty typical in other car communities. I'm kind of surprised it's not big here, actually?
Me too because they are in the way. Every bit of clearance helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom