Welding bumper kit question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sleepycruiser

I will get by….I will survive -Touch of Grey LC200
Threads
I searched but didn't see any definite answer. How much would a welder typically charge to weld a front and/or rear bumper kit? I have seen in some of the build threads that it takes some time. I know nothing about welding so I have no idea. Would it be worth it to just learn myself and put a kit together or is it way too involved for someone that has never done it?

Only one way to learn....:)

That said i started somewhere less visible lol

I think you will find it will vary from region/profession/skill set. Might try and find some local fab or better just welding shops and inquire.

A member here just paid 150 for a family cage to be welded up for his 40 .....but the welds werent all that great so just remember good price isnt always the good deal.

I searched but didn't see any definite answer. How much would a welder typically charge to weld a front and/or rear bumper kit? I have seen in some of the build threads that it takes some time. I know nothing about welding so I have no idea. Would it be worth it to just learn myself and put a kit together or is it way too involved for someone that has never done it?

There's welder out near my house that is fairly cheap I had him weld the seat in my BMW he only charged $10 he is older and really retired I think he just welds to keep himself busy now. I don't know if he would be willing to take on a bumper but I don't see why not he is always tinkering with a really nice VW Thing he is restoring.

If you have a local community college look and see if they have a welding class.
If you have the time to learn, it's a lifelong skill and quite satisfying.

I wouldn't tackle a bumper as my first project, as mentioned get some scrap and practice. I sold my Hobart to a friend, still have access to it, but wouldn't trust my abilities on a bumper kit. Or anything visible for that matter...

I know for work we will call a mobile welding service from time to time when something breaks around the shop. There's a couple that we use that do a wonderful job and their rates are surprisingly much less than I thought they would be considering the truck/setup that they pull up in.

Thanks for the info. I am in the very early stages of pricing, etc. I have a lot of PM that I need to get done first, but I have seen a lot of kits and trying to align my brain with everything that goes into LCs!

Mobil welders are about 70-120/he here. At that rate your better off investing in a welder and some steel. I started with my sliders then did my bumper. You would also need a grinder with cutoff and flap disks, face shield, welding gloves and sleeves, gas bottle and wire. That whole shebang would set you back about 1200-1500 depending on quality. And I wouldn't buy a cheap welder.

I suggest a Lincoln mp210 110/220 switchable (awesome welder for the price).

Best thing about getting all that gear is you can use it for so many other projects.

I bought a used lincoln mig with some accessories on craigslist and shared the cost with a few like-minded friends--initial investment $100 after we split it up and then you have to go shopping for consumables (wire & gas) every so often. WAY cheaper than hiring a welder if you've got someplace to plug it in. I'd say all-in we've spent about $500 on the setup (cart, tank, valves, etc). You can also weld with good quality leather work gloves, don't need the full-on welding gloves for most projects.

Some of the welds on a bumper, like the ones on the spare tire carrier are critical welds because they could kill someone if they fail and the tire falls off and crashes through someone's windshield. You need a professional welder to make those welds, so find a professional and pay them. I image it would take 4 - 8 hours to weld up a bumper depending on how complex it is, so the cost could be anywhere from $200 - $800 depending on the going rate in your area.

I bought a used lincoln mig with some accessories on craigslist and shared the cost with a few like-minded friends--initial investment $100 after we split it up and then you have to go shopping for consumables (wire & gas) every so often. WAY cheaper than hiring a welder if you've got someplace to plug it in. I'd say all-in we've spent about $500 on the setup (cart, tank, valves, etc). You can also weld with good quality leather work gloves, don't need the full-on welding gloves for most projects.

It really hurts my eyes looking at that bright light!

I love an auto darkening helmet unless you can do good work in the dark.
Most go Flux Core before getting Valve, Tank, Solid Wire.... but it's Well worth it

Helmet came with the welder (I think it's HF, but it works great) Just remember no short sleeves unless you want the skin to peel off your arms!

I worked at Pacific metal Fab when Road Armor first came out. We were the soul manufacturers. I was an assembler making server cabinets but I got pulled away to work in every other department except The CNC laser and water jet. I know from experience it takes an professional welder about 3 hours to weld a road armor the first few times. Less than half that time after several bumpers...unless they're dragging their feet like many of ours did....which is why the bought a robotic welder. So an intricate bumper with a lot of welds will take at least 3 hours.

Another option if there is a local club nearby see anybody has a welder and wants to help. You get to possible meet new cruiser heads and maybe learn a little welding along the way. Going rate for this is typical some beer, pizza and consumables for their welder. That is i how I first learned.

Harbor freight welder here, the "170". I would buy a tank of gas from the get go and skip the flux core. I too have about $500 in my mig welder setup and my 4x4 labs bumper was the first project I tackled. Just get plenty of heat and lots of grinding discs. I did burn my left eye last friday doing my exhaust. I think it came from under my helmet and reflecting off my light colored shirt. So cover up. I've always welded in short sleeves, and never gotten burned, but after my eye I am going to start covering up better everywhere.

I say get a MIG and just do it. Make sure you have the heat up high enough and those critical welds should be fine. You will be grinding most of the edges anyway so as long as you are getting good penetration your welds don't have to be beautiful. I weld in slippers, shorts and short sleeves and get burned all the time. My feet look like I have a desease from all the burn scars on them and I've had some nasty sunburn from the arc after welding for a full day but it's just too hot for me to wear all the ppe. I do wear ear plugs if I'm welding under a car. I got hot metal in my ear and it burst the ear drum a few years ago. I'm a firm believer in closing the stable door after the horse has bolted :)

it seems to me that if you have a pro welder do it for you at normal rates your final cost is going to be higher than a completely welded bumper from the factory. Cuz the factory has jigs, automated welding etc.

Where it gets less obvious is if you do it yourself and your time has little or no value, or if you have access to a pro at reduced rates.

Welding created a whole new level of satisfaction for me. Previous poster mentioned the lincoln mp210 and I bought one last year after owning a basic linclom mig - its a fabulous machine and will make learning too easy. If you bought used though, or cheaper welders, you'd probably get your money back completing your front and rear kits. Sliders would be free then.

Then you would have the machine and tools to take on anything - fab or repair. My first set of sliders were under a hundred in materials, and my most complex front bumper was about $370 in materials. I've now done four trucks but it took the first three to get fed up with paying for the fabrication and almost getting what I wanted.

If you see yourself welding as a pastime/hobby - then you can't go wrong

I used to fabricate for a living so I ordered a front and rear kit from 4x4 labs. The front was pretty easy and I wouldn't pay more than 150 to have someone weld it. Maybe 250 if they did the fitting and welding. The rear kit was a lot more technical and precise with the spindles and latches. I ran out of time so I paid a guy I know to fit and weld my rear kit. He charged me $500 for the rear. I felt that was a little much but there was a lot of grinding and fitting involved and he did a perfect job. Expect to pay at least 50 dollars an hour for labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom