Best 4runner for new driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello. I'm not well-versed in 4runners like I am with 40-series. I'm needing some assistance:

I'm buying my nephew a vehicle for his first truck. I did the same thing for his older brother a few years ago. I bought him a 1988 4runner. He totaled it and suffered a broken arm just 2 months after he got it. So, I'm thinking that the first generation might not be practical enough this time around. I'm thinking 2nd or third generation for this nephew. I want a blend of safety, better performance, reliability, cost of ownership, etc over off-road capability. It seems I've read before where the 3.0 V6 had all kinds of issues. I think the third gens introduced the 3.4? I also think a better 4 cylinder came out. Is a 5 speed available for third gens? Was a rear locker introduces too?

Anyway.... I'll let you 4Runner guys spin me up with your best all around cruiser.... And the reasons why. Thanks so much!

Third gen had a better six and four cylinder engines. Five speed available in both as well as the factory locker. These will also have front air bags. Side air bags and curtains were in the fourth gen. Fourth gen had TRAC instead of locker. They also had a bigger 4.0 V6 and 4.7 V8 but no four cylinder or five speed. Automatic only.

Thx LITP!

I've owned one of each, 1st, 2nd and 3rd generations. What you're looking for is the newest of these, with the 3.4 V-6.

Check out T4R.org for more info, I have a 3rd Gen. and love it unless you ran into a clean 2nd Gen. with 5 speed that would be nice too.

Recently traded my 3rd Gen LTD for a 200 series Land Cruiser. If not for it's lack of towing ability I would still own it. The most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Oh I'll likely chap some folks. I'd recommend a 3rd gen over a 1st or 2nd for safety and reliability. I haven't owned a 4th gen but I think you'd get traction control, more air bags as said above etc. Ive still got a 3rd gen, have owned several, love it still. Biggest safety issue I had sending the wife out was that its still a rear wheel drive vehicle. Has antilock brakes but I always see several rolled over for parts still. I just made sure to get her to pull it into 4x4 on the snowy and icy drives. If I send her out of town in crappy winter weather i load her into the big 03 Sequoia with the traction control etc. The 3.4L V6 in the 3rd gens has a timing belt but are non-interference engines. I had a 96 with the inline 2.7L 4 banger, solid engine with timing chain but yes underpowered if you need to drive highway/freeways.
3rd gen limiteds typically have the rear e locker, was an option and can be found on SR5 models. 5 speed manuals are available until 2000 I think it was. 3rd gens typically have power windows, locks and often power heated mirrors. I actually just delivered an older mid size fridge to a friend using the 3rd gen yesterday. Decent cargo room with the 2nd row seats flipped and folded. If you're a bigger person the seat width may not be comfy in a 3rd gen. Our 96 actually had a less formed seat which was wider. 3rd gens had some issues, front rotors prone to warping, timing belt or water pump just wait for one to go and then do the other while in there, brake booster check valve freezes in cold climates giving no brakes until you pump them a few times, some people bugger up the crank pulley doing belt changes, it loosens off and wipes the key off or buggers the crank, rear bumper extensions rust through, 2.7L 4's exhaust manifold prone to cracking and after plenty of miles the rear hatch window needs love to keep working, radiators sometimes failed creating the strawberry milkshake tranny fluid, after many miles alternators need a rebuild and so do the starters which suck to wiggle out of a 4x4 through the passenger wheel well typically. I think the 99's stood the tallest and they lowered them in 2000-2002. I ran 32's on my stock 96. 1 major improvement to me was that damn poor cup launcher/holder in 96-99's on the dash. 2000 up have them in the console and dash mounted the ECT and rear window buttons. Nicer stereo in the 2000 up too.
Generally though just drive a 3rd gen until you get tired of driving one, lol

Last edited:
3rd gen. Can buy very reasonable, tons of salvage / used parts out there.

Only caveat, replace lower balls joint WITH TOYOTA PARTS, if you don't know the history on that part of the vehicle.

I daily drive a 97 with 340k miles on it, runs strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom