2001 LC100 shakes and Steering wobbles on hwy, resulting in a bizarre tire explosion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I'm a new signon to this forum and have visited this site numerous times in the past before & after I purchased my 2001 LC100 - thank you for the wealth of knowledge and documentation. I'm an IT professional and have always enjoyed fixing my own cars since college years. The lc100 is a DD and for camping or fishing. I run 2 sets of tires - stock 275/70/16 for DD and 275/70/18 ltx at2 with tundra steelies for trails, etc.

The family loves the lc100 with cold ac and most reliable transportation until recently which resulted in a tire explosion on the hwy twice in this month - very scary and luckily no one got hurt.

I searched this site, there were many steering shake reports but nothing like we experienced.
Also, please note that the lc100 had no issues the day prior to these incidents and front tires are well balanced. I baselined the lc100 at 130K and has 176K at the moment.

1st incident:
Earlier this month when my wife and I drove that morning, the lc100 started to shake lightly as if the tire is off balance. As we were cruising the highway at 75mph, the shake increases and I started to slow down. The shake continues and I stopped to check if I have a flat or something - no oil leaks, tires looks fine. We continued our journey and within 10 mins the shake with wobble got worse. As I was slowing down to 50mph, the rear drivers side tire explodes (ltx at2 E rated) on the hwy and I managed to stop on the side of the hwy within 1 min. All this happened within 30 minutes. AAA towed to our home, I lost the mud flap and had to reattach the side bumper. I put the spare tire and the lc100 runs fine - no bearing or axle damage, no shakes what so ever. (I concluded that the rear tire may have been damaged in my last trip to silverton hih6, must be a tire separation issue)

After a week, I changed back to the stock 275/70/16 tires and no issues until yesterday (09/27).

2nd incident:
The lc100 started to slightly shake and I quickly jacked up the front to check if the front bearings are loose. It was a little loose but NOT significant and decided to pack the bearing later during the weekend. We started driving on the hwy and same things happened again - before you know it - the front drivers side tire explodes (falken 275/70/16 passenger h rated tire - good 90% thread) - scary s*** and all I can do is to steer the cruiser to the side as quickly as possible. We were very lucky as the other cars stayed away and avoided the lc100 - wife was shaken up but safe. AAA towed to the toyota tempe dealership and I will talk to them tomorrow and figure the root cause??

I don't understand how & why; Please advise or guide me to any known reports. THANKS!
- 1st the rear tire explodes, no cel at all , runs fine later with spare tire.
- 2nd the front tire explodes and cel appears after the explosion see pics (atrac, vsc, abs). there are lose wires result of explosion.
- pics attached and will provide more info if needed.

LC090416.jpg

LC092716.jpg

LC092716a.jpg

(1) How old were the tires? Years not miles
(2) Load ratings here: How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions
(3) Speed rating of E? H sounded familiar, E didn't. Is that an old tire? About midway down in the link above there's an explanation about speed ratings and how they are listed. They changed in 1991

Based on your description both tires failed (said Captain Obvious). To me that says:

(a) Mfg defect . The odds of having two tires with a mfg defect today are pretty low
(b) operated out of speed range (not likely)
(c) operated out of load range
(d) operated out of load and speed range
(e) Hit something that caused the tire to separate internally and ultimately fail.
(f) some combination of the above

A few years ago my daughter was pulling her horse trailer with my truck. The left rear tire exploded (Goodrich Radial TA with about 20k on it). She said that she didn't hit anything. It just started shaking and then exploded.

Wow, those are scary photos. I don't think there is anything inherent in the LC that would cause 2 different tires to explode. I'll bet those were defective, or old, or damaged tires. Go to both manufacturer's sites to look for recall info. Make sure you're not regularly hitting a curb or pothole hard on the driver's side. Is your tire shop reputable (wouldn't sell used tires or mount them improperly)? Have a good tire place look at both tires to see if they can tell what happened (sidewall failure, bead failure, tread separation, mechanical damage, etc. )

I hit a large ~3' piece of tread on HWY this past week. Vehicle in front of me hit it and it came up from under him into me. With traffic on both side of me, I had to grin and bare it:moon:.

I mention this because last time I notice this much tread along our HWY's, was when SUV's were involved in a high number of single car rollovers, all over North America. Ultimately it was found by the NTSB that a tire manufacture had bad rubber (from supplier they claimed, IIRC).

Although I've not seen as much rubber on the roads as during past issue, I've been see more than normal. You should report both these incidences to the NTSB.

I hit a large ~3' piece of tread on HWY this past week. Vehicle in front of me hit it and it came up from under him into me. With traffic on both side of me, I had to grin and bare it:moon:.

I mention this because last time I notice this much tread along our HWY's, was when SUV's were involved in a high number of single car rollovers, all over North America. Ultimately it was found by the NTSB that a tire manufacture had bad rubber (from supplier they claimed, IIRC).

Although I've not seen as much rubber on the roads as during past issue, I've been see more than normal. You should report both these incidences to the NTSB.
Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. Saw the piece of tread getting kicked around the highway, I knew it was only a matter of time til it got kicked up. Unfortunately for me, some lady in a pickup came flying by me :steer:, caught the tread, and sent it straight into my driver headlight region.

I was able to polish out the black marks, but still left a good size dimple in the front of my fender. I completely agree though, I have seen (what appears to be) a decline in manufacturers rubber quality.

Happened to my dad with Michelin tire. The tire ended up being defective and Michelin took full responsibility. Discount provided him with 4 brand new tires no cost and Michelin covered the $1500 in body damage and the $200 in mechanical damage. I could see it happening to the Michelin because of the make of the tire and I am sure the heat here in AZ played into the explosion. Do you leave the car out in the sun 100% of the time? If so it is probably dry rot.

Caught my DS tire as I veered right, dimples, scratched, black mark in metal and plastic. Fortunately I was driving Gary Bear, he's a beast that's proud of his battle scares. Had I been in the King (01LC) or The White Lady (01LX) I'd be very pissed.

A pattern is emerging.
OP I'd really like to see detail of your tires; DOT date, manufacture, make, model, etc... Full picture of good tire(s) remaining will work.

The 1st incident : 275/70/18 Michelin LTX AT2 dot 0407. This was bought used with 80% thread sometime back.
The 2nd incident : 275/70/16 Falken st-04 dot VANA. I remember buying this new a few years ago and hardly used.
Both tires were stored outside under a tree and cover. The lc100 is always parked outside.
The AZ heat may have got to the tires. I'm still waiting for the toyota dealership assessment.
Thank you for the support.

falkenst04.jpg

michelinltxat2.jpg

Between sitting outside in the heat/not getting used for periods of time, I think it's safe to say that you experienced two different tire failures.

The 1st incident : 275/70/18 Michelin LTX AT2 dot 0407. This was bought used with 80% thread sometime back.
The 2nd incident : 275/70/16 Falken st-04 dot VANA. I remember buying this new a few years ago and hardly used.
Both tires were stored outside under a tree and cover. The lc100 is always parked outside.
The AZ heat may have got to the tires. I'm still waiting for the toyota dealership assessment.
Thank you for the support.

View attachment 1328572

View attachment 1328573
The Michelin is ~9 years old, 10 is the limit. some would say 7 years. I agree with @DirtDawg that is a tire failure. I get rid of the rest of them.

The Falken I can't read date, could be on other side and should be 4 number. 1st two are the week and second two are the year.

Were these elevated off the ground or in contract while stored under the tree?

Last edited:
The set of tires are on the ground, mounted, aired and gets cleaned every month when I water & clean the yard - no different than being on the lc100 parked outside. I visually inspect my tires, personally air them and wash my cars every month. I can understand the 1st blow-out but the 2nd could be a defective falken tire - given the way it separated & fairly new less than 10K on it on a 70K mile warranty tire - Falken Tire Failure | Tire Defects Lawyer

After so many years of driving, this was my 1st tire blow-out experience. When the front tire goes, it is scary and we were very lucky. I want to learn from it, move forward and minimize the risk to my family.

The set of tires are on the ground, mounted, aired and gets cleaned every month when I water & clean the yard - no different than being on the lc100 parked outside. I visually inspect my tires, personally air them and wash my cars every month. I can understand the 1st blow-out but the 2nd could be a defective falken tire - given the way it separated & fairly new less than 10K on it on a 70K mile warranty tire - Falken Tire Failure | Tire Defects Lawyer

After so many years of driving, this was my 1st tire blow-out experience. When the front tire goes, it is scary and we were very lucky. I want to learn from it, move forward and minimize the risk to my family.
I feel you, control is near impossible. Front tire blow-outs at HWY speed is incredible dangerous.

If a tire was on it's side on the ground, that's not good. If siting on tread then not as bad. My understanding, tires stored under pressure will not last as long unless filled with nitrogen (IIRC).

I've stored un-mounted 4 year old tires wrapped in a plastic bag, in my garage for 12 years. That 16 year old tire looks good as new. Outside I set mounted tires on bricks (bricks spaced apart) keeping off ground and covered in shade, they've not fared as well. I've spoken with a used tire reseller on this. He's learned from 40 years in the business to wash and store indoors un-mounted is best practice.

I'm not saying the Falken aren't to blame. But it's not like they were on the truck until separation, this weakens your case with them.

As I said early I'm seeing to much "rubber" on HWY these days. Please keep us informed as to outcome with Falken.

Last edited:
I bought my truck from a Toyota dealership (used), tires had 70%+ tread left on them. Drove from SoCal to Sedona, AZ (did one dirt road to a trailhead), and on the way home got a bad vibration. :princess: says, it's your tire. Got off the freeway and checked tires, everything looked normal, but still vibration. Stopped at Pep Boys or something, and the tech pointed out that my tire had internal separation. I couldn't see it until it was pointed out to me. Turns out, the tire was 10 years old, but still looked new. Michelin LTX M/S (OEM). I've got 5 new tires now. America's Tire wouldn't let me leave with 10 year old tires, too much of a safety hazard.

Learned more than one lesson that day... :slap:
Glad everyone is okay, and that it was only the tires that had a blow-out.

Something that I didn't see mentioned above, and because this was 2 different brands and very different types of tire, I have to ask.

What pressures were you running in each set of tires?

(I'm reminded of when the Ford Explorer was having issues with Firestone tires. Ford said the Firestone tires were defective. Firestone said that Ford's tire inflation recommendation was too low, which was causing the tire to overheat which eventually led to tread separation and failure.)

Last edited:
I had some very similar experiences with Michelin LTX tires on my cruisers recently. Both these incidents happened not to long after I used the spares tires. Both tires had never previously been on the ground. Problems started with a slight shimmy in the steering wheel which got worse and started pulling to one side. On the first one a fairly large section of thread blistered up before I figured out the issue, but amazingly still held air. After checking the date codes it appears that they were both likely the original spares from the factory(16 yrs old). Lessons learned: 1. Get under your vehicle and check the date code on your spare before you need to use it! 2. If you experience the onset of a steering shimmy, stop and check those tires(however it can be difficult to visually identify the onset of tread separation)

I had some very similar experiences with Michelin LTX tires on my cruisers recently. Both these incidents happened not to long after I used the spares tires. Both tires had never previously been on the ground. Problems started with a slight shimmy in the steering wheel which got worse and started pulling to one side. On the first one a fairly large section of thread blistered up before I figured out the issue, but amazingly still held air. After checking the date codes it appears that they were both likely the original spares from the factory(16 yrs old). Lessons learned: 1. Get under your vehicle and check the date code on your spare before you need to use it! 2. If you experience the onset of a steering shimmy, stop and check those tires(however it can be difficult to visually identify the onset of tread separation)
Did you happen to see any signs like cracking or dry rubber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom