New to me BJ74 with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The floor pan is significantly different. In looking at the differences in vehicles here in the museum my guess it is not doable without getting a floor pan as well.

Is it possible to fit the suspension seat bases in a 74 that did not have them as standard equipment?

I hope so, cause I just got a set. Looks like some holes might need to be drilled. Have you got a set? I have them still in a donor vehicle. The floor definitely is different.
I hadn't thought of cutting out the entire floor?!
I was going to look at that next week, but I will pull them up and take some pictures in the next day or two. I'm swamped and want to get the fenders back on first.

The standard seat floor pan has a transverse crossmember that goes clear across the truck and the front mounting bolts go horizontally into the front vertical surface of that brace. The suspension seat floor pan is mostly flat, without that crossmember, and all the bolts go vertically down into the floor.

Thanks Dan. I appreciate your input.

Are you coming to Cruiserfest? If so we have examples of both seat setups side-by-side and you can eyeball it in the original Greek..:)

Well we are around anyway if you are ever in the neighborhood....:hmm:

Thank you kind sir. One day I will take you up on the offer. The same goes when you are in South Africa.

I put suspension seats in my 73 that did not come standard from factory.

First I cut the 2" towers off the floor. (4 off - 1 already cut in photo)

seatbase.JPG

Seatbase1.JPG

Ground them down to floor level and kept the towers just incase.
seatbase2.JPG

Had to cut a bit out of the rail that goes over transmission hump. I actually cut more out than in photo and I may have to cut more yet?? They fit no worries, but may bottom out under full pressure, Probs should a just cut 100mm off the ends and be done with it.
Dry fitting seats over next week or so to make sure and to check centre console sizes.

seat4.JPG

Underneath there are captive nuts Mr Yota prepared earlier and they match up with the holes in the suspension bases.
seatbase3.JPG

Then its just a straight bolt in.

Thank you Billy. That helps.

Excellent information. I'll have to look under mine to see if those plates are there. How did you cut holes through the floor pan without damaging the captive nuts in the process?

Excellent information. I'll have to look under mine to see if those plates are there. How did you cut holes through the floor pan without damaging the captive nuts in the process?

I'm planning this mod too after having found a pair of suspension bases. My BJ74 has the plates and captive nuts but am also wondering how you drill without messing up the threads?

I'm wondering if one of those spot-weld cutter thingies would work.....:hmm:

I'm wondering if one of those spot-weld cutter thingies would work.....:hmm:
Yup, but with a proper hole to start. I find they can wander pretty fast. Even a step drill bit might work, but not the same control
as a spot weld cutter.
Ok, I looked at both of my trucks. The seat donor truck has identical brackets underneath. The rollover recipient has the under body
brackets but it does not have the captive nuts. But the holes are right there but no nuts. Weird.
So looks like Billy has shown that the weld on mounts have to be removed, but the underfloor infrastructure is there. So at least
placement is known, and that's the most important part I guess.

First come up through the nut on the underside, this way you have transferred the centre of the nuts to the top side (floor area).
Use a 8mm std HSS drill as a pilot hole, not a small one that can wander off a couple of mm.
Then use a step drill from on top, the more increments the better.
Like 4mm to 13mm in 1mm increments (the one on the right), that way when you go through your material it won't penetrate through the other side too far and damage your thread.
The next size up cutting edge also deburs the hole. Hope this helps.

drills.jpg

PA090040.JPG

PA090043.JPG

PA090046.JPG

I went shopping this morning. Got a few smalls as well as a new steering wheel.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks to Billy the fitment of the suspension seats will commence today. I have also procured a set of seats that came out of a Land Cruiser V8 diesel single cab. The owner is busy changing it into a camper and hence sold the seats. So I am keeping it all Toyota original. My 74 also has the captive nuts on the under body as per pictures from Billy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom