PTO unit interchangeability - early vs late? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys

I am hunting for a PTO setup as part of my 1978 FJ40 restoration. I have been offered a complete setup off a 1982 truck, which is the 'split type transfer' style with the symmetrical mount hole pattern on the transfer case. Being pre-80, my truck has the offset hole mount pattern.

Question - are the PTO systems identical other than that mount pattern? Eg - can I use the 1982 setup as long as I swap the unit that bolts to the transfer case for a pre 80 unit?

Im just concerned about what other differences there may be, eg shaft lengths etc...

Any help much appreciated.

There were at least four different PTO boxes:

E-1960 FJ25
1961-1962 40 series (symmetrical bolt pattern)
1963-1980 (asymmetrical bolt pattern)
1981+ (Symmetrical bolt pattern)

There were also several differences with the driveshafts. 4 and 5 speed transmission equipped trucks had longer PTO shafts than the 3 speeds. FJ55's and 1981+ 40 series had the pillow block mount to the frame rail instead of the front crossmember.

I have played around with this. It's easier switching the parts from a early PTO into a later PTO. The housing is narrower on the split case
PTO. Cutting or removing spacers verses making new ones. 10/82 the shift lever moved to the front. Early PTO parts are easier to find in the US. Getting the PTO, shift lever, pillow block bearing and front shaft to fit into a small box shouldn't be hard. Longer drivelines and winch aren't to hard to modify. While not a huge number looking for split case PTOs in the US should find someone willing to do some trading. I even have a few parts myself.

Hmm ok.

Sounds like theres some fiddling around here, and I really just want a 'bolt on' correct setup, so I will wait for a better option.

Cheers

Hmm ok.

Sounds like theres some fiddling around here, and I really just want a 'bolt on' correct setup, so I will wait for a better option.

Cheers

Not really that much fiddling around. One driveline from the PTO to the short shaft with the pillow block bearing. There is no brackets supporting that driveline. If that 82 winch is complete and descent shape might be wise to purchase if you plan on going to a PTO at some point. The winch itself is the same if it's off a 4X series. A 4X series would also have the two direction PTO. I'm sure you could find someone willing to trade the earlier winch pieces you need.

is swapping to the later split transfer case an option with your restoration?

is swapping to the later split transfer case an option with your restoration?

Not really.

I am keen to source a PTO but it's a want, not a need. I don't really want to end up spending months trying to source/trade the correct parts to suit my car. It'll really just be decoration on the car, so I am happy to wait until a complete pre-80 setup becomes available.

If your planning on a possible PTO winch later I would be sure the PTO gear is in your transfer case. Every three speed imported to the US had the gear. The four speeds the gear was rarely there. If the gear is in there the hardest part of installing a PTO winch is locating the place for the shift lever and cutting the hole. Everything else is just bolted on. If the gear isn't there your pulling the transfer case to install one. Don't discount the 80 model. Change to the split case was 8/80 (81 model).

If your planning on a possible PTO winch later I would be sure the PTO gear is in your transfer case. Every three speed imported to the US had the gear. The four speeds the gear was rarely there. If the gear is in there the hardest part of installing a PTO winch is locating the place for the shift lever and cutting the hole. Everything else is just bolted on. If the gear isn't there your pulling the transfer case to install one. Don't discount the 80 model. Change to the split case was 8/80 (81 model).

I'm surprised Toyota didn't press a 'guideline' into the trans cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom