First time Lift recommendation for stock LX 450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lots of options out there. Without any information on how you plan to use the truck it's really hard to make a specific recommendation.

Start by reading the FAQs FAQ for 80/LX450 -Mar 2015 -Added Battery Information Thread

Then do some searches within the 80's series section on lifts. There's 100's if not 1000's of threads.

I came across this FJ80 Lift Kit: Old Man Emu FJ80 Lift Kit.

Wizards of 80s and LXs what do you think?

I would buy that kit and install it ASAP! Looks like you're new to the 80 / LX450. So right now you have money in your wallet buy that lift and get'er'done. Soon you'll have a line of credit with @beno or @NLXTACY but at least you'll have the lift. ;)

Worry about all the maintenance and baseline stuff later :worms:

Seriously, yea, I'd buy it.

get clear on how you intend to use your 80. mud, rock crawling heavy wheeling, or mild to moderate trails. road friendly rig or not. also do you see adding bumpers in the future. they can be heavy and require heaver springs.

Lots of options out there. Without any information on how you plan to use the truck it's really hard to make a specific recommendation.

Start by reading the FAQs FAQ for 80/LX450 -Mar 2015 -Added Battery Information Thread

Then do some searches within the 80's series section on lifts. There's 100's if not 1000's of threads.
I am aware of the ocean of ideas shared over here and very grateful for that thanks to all of you here. My question was about the specific lift and suspension shown in the link if it is a good investment for a first time installation on the truck for mild rock crawling, mudding for sure and crossing creeks. I thought the price was decent but curios of anyone has the same set up.

@super40 definitely mild to moderate trails (this will not be my DD). possibly adding front bumper w/winch in the future.

If too much height is not in the cards for you, as you mentioned mild to moderate trails, the OME stock height dual rate are very good. It also has really good manner on road. No caster correction needed. Enough room for 35" tires if you wish.

The problem is that later on you will wish for more lift. Even if you don't need it, you will want it, because it needs to "look right".
With the right armor you will be able to get through most trails mild to moderate, even the crazy ones as mine did yesterday @bhicks and @Bryanfzj80 can attest.

I will not run the Rubicon, so I will not replace my spring with higher ones. The higher you go the more problems you will get into, especially with dialing in the right caster correction, bushings, plates, drop brackets, long travel shocks, bump stops adjustment, sway bar adjustment, etc.

Pick you poison wisely, everything will be expensive, no matter what you choose, there will be more added on later. The exact definition of "addiction".

get the OME 861/862 lift. if you want to go taller then add 30mm spacers... at that point the free height of the coils will allow the longer exstension shocks that gives more travel. later if you still want more lift & added up travel then do a 1" body lift.
33s don't need added bump stops.
35s need 1.5" bump stop added front & rear. @Hitit66 sell some high quality sets cheap.

Mild to moderate trails you really don't need much lift. I would go with @GW Nugget's recommendation since he has tried and tested a lot of different suspension setups. (By the way the 861/862 combo does not appear to be an option on that site).

If you don't go with the 861/862 combo and go with the traditional OME springs, beware that the "heavy" rear springs will be a good 2" taller than the front. Unless you're hauling around a crapload of extra weight, it's generally best policy to go with a heavy front/medium rear. Or medium front/rear with a 30mm spacer in front. I would also recommend getting springs that match your current weight not your "maybe someday" weight. Springs are cheap and easy enough to change and driving a non-laden 80 with heavy springs is not a great experience.

That's the combo I have. OME stock height 861/862 with 30mm front spacer, however I got a heavy bumper in the rear with a spare tire carrier on it and ARB in the front.
I also have the heavy duty Bilsteins shocks.

Funny thing is I would still like my ride to be a bit stiffer. I drive it on road most of the time with maybe once every 3-4 months going off road.
Some people prefer a softer feel on their suspension setup. It's all a matter of taste in driving dynamics and needs.

dual rate soft unloaded, firm when loaded.... its a have cake & eat it at the same time situation.... Win, Win.

Dual rate.....

Do yourself a favor and steer clear of rocky road.

Thats the most regurgitated copy/paste bs site ive seen yet..... But it reads well and sure is pretty no? :rolleyes:

They sell sliders that suck and dont fit right and they know it and refuse to change the design, quit selling, or offer customer support.

Why support a group that screws over this community?

If its price well.... I get it but support a known and trusted vendor here that can help you find what you need. Lots to chose from and wont hurt to ask if they would match price. Slee offroad. Cruiser outfitters. Trail tailor. Metal tech. Iron pig. Etc. these guys will all help you find the right match but in order to do so you need to know what your intended build and use is.

That link is not to any one lift btw. Its a menu of pic and chose so noone knows which you are considering.

OME is a quality component. Maybe not the best of the best but we dont all need king shocks and triple bypasses that cost more than the truck itself.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) would love to help you with a suspension. When we put a suspension order into the computer we take the time to go through a customized build sheet on your vehicle and from there help you select the exact components to utilize. One-size-fits-all kits simply don't do most Cruiser owners justice as there are so many variables, different loads, different accessories, different ride expectations, etc.

We've sold and installed thousands of OME suspension kits including hundreds of 80's. There isn't a combo of OME coils we haven't tried and we can speak to that experience when we help you on the phone. Let us know if we can be of service.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) would love to help you with a suspension. When we put a suspension order into the computer we take the time to go through a customized build sheet on your vehicle and from there help you select the exact components to utilize. One-size-fits-all kits simply don't do most Cruiser owners justice as there are so many variables, different loads, different accessories, different ride expectations, etc.

We've sold and installed thousands of OME suspension kits including hundreds of 80's. There isn't a combo of OME coils we haven't tried and we can speak to that experience when we help you on the phone. Let us know if we can be of service.
Thanks. Definitely connecting with you before I put any suspensions in it.

Thanks. Definitely connecting with you before I put any suspensions in it.

You would be doing yourself a favor ordering from @cruiseroutfit if you decide to go with OME. Those guys are squared away for sure. I've ran OME heavies on my truck for several years now, and while I am ready to try something else, they have done everything and taken me everywhere I've pointed the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom