2016 TEP 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

titanpat57

Bigfoot?!...never heard of him...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'll try to document the build over here as well as T4R too.

First thing was the BFG KO2's E rated before she even left the dealer. Next was front windows 35% and yellow Laminex for the fogs. Rear LED back up bulbs are in.

Christmas break will be Airlift 1000 airbags, electrical upgrades in the rear compartment ( USB's, 12 v dedicated fridge outlets on each side, and a 6 circuit Blue Sea panel wired back to the house battery with a 100 and breaker and #6 wire). Then a Sears Platinum AGM group 31 under the hood.

Then I'll be doing a OME BP-51 upgrade in Feb./March. Aluminum skids, roof rack, and LED's in April / May

Picking up at the dealership
20151123_165735.jpg

12/18
20151218_130412.jpg

Old vs. New
20151212_162702.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try to document the build over here as well as T4R too.

First thing was the BFG KO2's E rated before she even left the dealer. Next was front windows 35% and yellow Laminex for the fogs. Rear LED back up bulbs are in.

Christmas break will be Airlift 1000 airbags, electrical upgrades in the rear compartment ( USB's, 12 v dedicated fridge outlets on each side, and a 6 circuit Blue Sea panel wired back to the house battery with a 100 and breaker and #6 wire). Then a Sears Platinum AGM group 31 under the hood.

Then I'll be doing a OME BP-51 upgrade in Feb./March. Aluminum skids, roof rack, and LED's in April / May View attachment 1178650 12/18View attachment 1178652
Old vs. New
View attachment 1178651
Congrats pat, good luck wth the "sperm whale" Hahahaha. Looking forward to seeing the build like your last 4-runner. Why didn't you keep the plates from your old truck?

Congrats pat, good luck wth the "sperm whale" Hahahaha. Looking forward to seeing the build like your last 4-runner. Why didn't you keep the plates from your old truck?

Thanks!

I kept the ROAM plates (and insurance) on the old truck so I could drive it to meet the meet the new owner (or if someone wanted to test drive).

His Dad flew into Dutchess Co. airport on Sunday morning, and meet him up there to give him the truck, which he drove back to NH. I'm going to re-register them to the Sperm Whale tomorrow or Thursday morning.

Kinda bittersweet...really liked that truck.

I had thought your rig looked different. (<----Sometimes slow on the intake) And what brand of skids?

Definitely going to do the RCI aluminum again....serves the purpose for what I use it for.

Since I tow a trailer everywhere, I will only be beating the underside up only occasionally (read a couple of times a month). So-Cal, Arizona, New Mexico, So-Utah, Nevada. I'm pretty pleased with my rig or will be when I replace the springs. After a while, you get tired of the airlifts.

Does the yellow Lamin-X film help with visibility in fog or is it just for looks and protection? Oddly, their website didn't mention anything about the impact on visibility.
We brought home a new 2016 TEP as well, so I'll be following your build with interest.
:beer:

Does the yellow Lamin-X film help with visibility in fog or is it just for looks and protection? Oddly, their website didn't mention anything about the impact on visibility.
We brought home a new 2016 TEP as well, so I'll be following your build with interest.
:beer:

I think (could be just me) the visibility is slightly better. It does cut down on the "throw" of the light outward without the lense covers, but I think it improves the overall "color" of the road in front of you, especially in lower visibility situations.

The guy charged a $100 to tint the two front windows and $25 for the fogs.

On a separate note....I was planning in switching out the battery to Sears Platinum group 31 AGM, but as of now they are discontinued, and the gal said they will not be backing them up once they're gone.

So I spent lots of time researching batteries, and with some sage advice, decided to go with a Northstar PL-AGM-31M. It is unclear at this time if the leads will reach, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

There is a group buy going on right now on Tacoma World and T4R.Org

***northstar deep cycle battery group buy*** - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

They offer pretty substantial savings.

FYI...Airlift bags are installed and hooked up

Congratulations and good luck with your truck.

Last edited:
A couple of things that will be unfolding in the next month or two....

- 275/70/17 KO2 BFG's E rated -done

-Install the Airlift 1000 airbags -done

- AGM battery upgrade -Northstar PL-AGM-31M with a Blue Sea 6 circuit box mounted at the rear of the truck, run with 6 gauge wire from the battery

- Rocky Road slider steps...this time, I'm using the OEM black covers off the original running boards (which I happen to be a huge fan of) I made a set for the old truck, but used aluminum diamond tread for the step, which looked IMO, just ok. They were extremely durable. As I'm sure you all know, anytime you modify a manufactures product, you're on your own. Here's the build thread for the original job... Rocky Road Slider Step Mod - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum. The new ones will look much better with the black skins. I will have a Sketch Up file to share in the near future for the step portion, if anyone cares to do the same thing. It's just not worth it to me to do to try and fabricate what Rocky Road does, they make a great product, for a very reasonable price.

- USB/ 12v Outlets in the rear area. Here are the units I ordered, exact location TBD, and will share install pics. Amazon.com: ISWEES Dual USB Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Splitter 12V Charger Power Adapter Outlet: Cell Phones & Accessories

- Installation of Digital Voltmeter Display Amazon.com: SMAKN® 2 Wire Green Dc 4.0-30v LED Panel Digital Display Voltage Meter Voltmeter: Home Improvement psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

- Build and install 1/2" Baltic Birch drawer system, painted black, same as old set, just 6" longer and a 1/2" deeper. Sketch Up file available soon.

- Working on designing an aluminum rack system...utilizing 80/20 type materials. I'll share design and the build as I go.

Last edited:
Got the #6 run down the drivers side door sills to the rear. Installed a 12 circuit Blue Sea box in the jack/tools area. I'll also be installing 12v / USB outlets on both sides, an LCD voltage readout , a NoCo female connecter, with an idiot light that also measures percentage of charge in the barely left.

The 100 amp breaker is installed under the hood, it will need to connected to the new battery when it comes.

There's going to be at least 4 - 12v fused plugs in the rear. ...and 2 sets of USB, so should be plenty for the power hungry goodies.

The new Northstar PL-AGM-31M was ordered last week at a group by over on T4R.org....saved about 75$ plus free delivery

I always get a little antsy cutting holes in a new truck...but it's kind of passed. The jack tools will get a new home in the drawer system, which I think I'm going to build on Monday. The new drawers will be about 6"-7" longer then the last set, so I should have a little extra room. They'll also set about 3" lower because I purposely didn't order the slide out tray....so fridge aces will be better.

Last edited:
and some more progress from today. .

I ran 2-#12 lines to the passenger side rear...it worked out they fit into the existing piece that houses the 110v inverter plug, and a key only 12v outlet

Finished passenger side..

Finished driver side...

Start the drawers tomorrow

The new 4Runners have a little extra storage which is kind of cool. Are you keeping your rear seats installed or taking them out? I only have the front seats and that means a lot more room.
Nice neat electrical work what size was the main leads and did you crimp them yourself?

The new 4Runners have a little extra storage which is kind of cool. Are you keeping your rear seats installed or taking them out? I only have the front seats and that means a lot more room.
Nice neat electrical work what size was the main leads and did you crimp them yourself?

Thanks...I bought a crimper from Harbour Frieght that works surprisingly well. I used a 6 gauge from a 100 amp Buss breaker in the engine bay, down the door sills, up over the back wheel well.

I definitely plan on keeping the seats in, although once the drawers go in and are secured, they stay down most the time.

What are you doing with this truck that you need all these outlets and solar power?

I run a small Dometic in the truck 24/7 ( except Dec. thru March) and my Engel while camping....and basically anything else that requires USB/12V.....also some ancillary flashlights, radio for work, etc.

Ok...been awhile since an update...but here we go!

Started figuring out what I wanted the truck to look like, and after working closely with Pete and Matt down at Main Line Overland we were finally able to iron it all out, and assemble everything for the build. It was a breeze working with both of them, and I kinda, sorta knew where I wanted to go, but their product expertise, attention to detail, and fair pricing, made this a natural choice. I don't wheel hard enough to warrant BP-51's...but maybe in the future.

Here's what went on the truck...

ARB Summit Bar
Quadretec 9500 SI winch, synthetic line
MLO Hawse Fairlead
Factor 55 Prolink
@sleeoffroad Slee Slider/steps....beautifully made
Full RCI aluminum skids with A-arm skids
OME Nitrocharger Suspension
SPC adjustable UCA's
Spidertrax spacers
ARB new aluminum cased awning with the new matching awning room

Special thanks to Pete, Matt and Tom Henwood at Main Line Overland...good old fashioned service and commitment to customer satisfaction. Thanks as well to Steve and Jason for their hard work...they all make a great team, with a real air of professionalism, and would highly recommend them for all your off road needs.

roam 4.jpg

roam 1.jpg
roam 3.jpg

roam 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom