What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unbolt the shocks and the fronts fall out too. No spring compressor needed.

Ok. So, I have an evening of time on my hands. How difficult is it to install springs for a 2" lift. If it didn't get done tonight it isn't end of the world because I can drive my 92 tomorrow. I hear the back springs will basically just fall out when I lift it by the frame. And the front I need a spring compressor or something. I've never done this but am feeling up to a challenge!

Ok. So, I have an evening of time on my hands. How difficult is it to install springs for a 2" lift. If it didn't get done tonight it isn't end of the world because I can drive my 92 tomorrow. I hear the back springs will basically just fall out when I lift it by the frame. And the front I need a spring compressor or something. I've never done this but am feeling up to a challenge!
Easy peasy. Fronts: Disconnect the lower shocks, jack up from the axle with floor jack and put 2 jack stands on the frame. Remove tires. Remove floor jack. Should give you enough droop on each side to get the old out and new in without compressing the spring. REAR: same thing but the bottom shock bolts can be a bit of a pain and if they snap, in for for some more work.

That's the jest of it at least. Done my 3 times solo without to much headache.

I find the rear lower shocks are easier to get back on if you pound them with a 2x4 and a hammer. Unless your bushings are fried, in which case, they will slide right on :D

I have sometimes had someone stand on the brake to fully droop out each corner.

It's easy. Just unbolt bottom of shock and sway bar then put a small 4x4 block on the jack :p

I think it took me 4 hours to do springs and shocks, didnt need a spring compressor for a 2.5" lift. Remove sway bar brackets and let them drop. The rear was simple as you mentioned, the front may need to loosen the shocks, and using the bottle jack to push the axle down made it easier.
Rear sway brackets (To frame) bolts shear easily, so careful there.

Picked up this little love bug last week. His name's Jasper, a 15-week old border collie. It's amazing how smart these dogs are! He's already bored with all the standard dog toys, time to step up to more cognitive problem solving and agility. Either way, thought I'd share!

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-2.jpg

looks like he's got some aussie in him.

You will love them. Great product. I solo installed mine also! I never appreciated my jack stands until that install!

Yes, I have a fondness for my jack stands now too!!

The kicker for my purchase is that I'd emailed MT quite a few times about them and never heard back, and I tried calling quite a few times and never could reach anyone. All I was trying to do was find out an accurate shipping cost. In the end I saved myself a good chunk of change on sliders that only have a few scuffs.

Yes, I have a fondness for my jack stands now too!!

The kicker for my purchase is that I'd emailed MT quite a few times about them and never heard back, and I tried calling quite a few times and never could reach anyone. All I was trying to do was find out an accurate shipping cost. In the end I saved myself a good chunk of change on sliders that only have a few scuffs.
:( on MT, they are typically pretty good about that stuff. But in the end you got a nice product. I love mine.

I jack mine up only a few inches then support the frame with cement blocks topped with scraps of lumber and then remove the tires doing only one axle at a time for the sake of safety. Then, like others said, once the shocks and swaybar are disconnected, the axle will drop far enough. Removing the tires eliminates the need to raise the cruiser much. Post pics.... And of course a Tough Dog review. :)

Unbolt the shocks and the fronts fall out too. No spring compressor needed.

Easy peasy. Fronts: Disconnect the lower shocks, jack up from the axle with floor jack and put 2 jack stands on the frame. Remove tires. Remove floor jack. Should give you enough droop on each side to get the old out and new in without compressing the spring. REAR: same thing but the bottom shock bolts can be a bit of a pain and if they snap, in for for some more work.

That's the jest of it at least. Done my 3 times solo without to much headache.

I find the rear lower shocks are easier to get back on if you pound them with a 2x4 and a hammer. Unless your bushings are fried, in which case, they will slide right on :D

I have sometimes had someone stand on the brake to fully droop out each corner.

It's easy. Just unbolt bottom of shock and sway bar then put a small 4x4 block on the jack :p

I think it took me 4 hours to do springs and shocks, didnt need a spring compressor for a 2.5" lift. Remove sway bar brackets and let them drop. The rear was simple as you mentioned, the front may need to loosen the shocks, and using the bottle jack to push the axle down made it easier.
Rear sway brackets (To frame) bolts shear easily, so careful there.

Thanks! Shocks should come out with ease. I just replaced the shocks with OEM Tokico shocks about 4-6 weeks ago.

I'll try to find a good home for them for someone that is strapped for cash.

I jack mine up only a few inches then support the frame with cement blocks topped with scraps of lumber and then remove the tires doing only one axle at a time for the sake of safety. Then, like others said, once the shocks and swaybar are disconnected, the axle will drop far enough. Removing the tires eliminates the need to raise the cruiser much. Post pics.... And of course a Tough Dog review. :)

I will post pics and a review for sure!

looks like he's got some aussie in him.

Yea so, you're not the first one to say this haha. He's registered with the American Border Collie Association who favor working skills over coat color, hence the merle coat. They do look strikingly similar though, biggest difference being an undocked tail. I ended up with this guy cause his temperament matches my family's lifestyle well.

Yea so, you're not the first one to say this haha. He's registered with the American Border Collie Association who favor working skills over coat color, hence the merle coat. They do look strikingly similar though, biggest difference being an undocked tail. I ended up with this guy cause his temperament matches my family's lifestyle well.

Red Merle Border Collie is the appropriate naming IIRC...

450-450485303-red-merle-border-collie-dog.jpg

I like those working dogs and want to get one for my next dog. My Lab is 12 and, although she is doing very well, I'm thinking about the new puppy already. The other day I had my dog at a huge park exercising her and a guy showed up with an Austrailian Sheperd puppy who was fearless and sort of crazy. This puppy looked like a border collie but was 100% Austrailian sheperd.

huh, I'll be damned, I never saw a red border collie :cool: I have fostered for the local Aussie rescue and we took in a border collie/corgi mix-- border collie brain and body on little stump legs. I'm still sad we didn't keep that one :eek:

I like those working dogs and want to get one for my next dog. My Lab is 12 and, although she is doing very well, I'm thinking about the new puppy already. The other day I had my dog at a huge park exercising her and a guy showed up with an Austrailian Sheperd puppy who was fearless and sort of crazy. This puppy looked like a border collie but was 100% Austrailian sheperd.

Back in my rig welding days I always had Queensland Red Heelers AKA "strawberries" They are MORE calm in comparison. Borders need LOTS OF ROOM and LOTS OF EXERCISE! My grandparents had many Borders growing up on the ranch.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom