Prado Rear Brakes Not Working on El Troque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First let me say this forum is great, and I SO MUCH appreciate the help I've received here. The small town in Florida I live in seems to be collectively mystified by my right hand drive diesel Cruiser with Japanese writing all over the engine compartment.

I was having a couple of issues and took it to a mechanic. He checked some things and then noted that when he put it on the lift to check the 4x4 function he noticed that the rear brakes were not engaging at all. Wheels just kept spinning.

I'm guessing it has to do with the load sensor between the rear brakes, but do any of you folks have experience with this? Is that the likely problem? Someone told me it can just be removed and replaced with a tee but I don't want wonky braking. And I want to do things right. Might it be something else?

Advice please! Thanks a bunch.

You are correct. It has everything to do with the rear proportioning valve. After my lift there was a extended arm that was made but I still had the same issue. I ended up disconnecting that arm all together and attaching it up to the frame. I'm running larger tires so I appreciated the extra stopping power. Its not a permanent fix, I do plan on re running some lines and deleting that rear valve all together some day so it does not look so booty fabbed. I've done it on other toyotas I've had in the past with success.

Thanks Postoy. There are no problems that come from eliminating the proportioning valve? If not then that sounds like the easiest fix.

First let me say this forum is great, and I SO MUCH appreciate the help I've received here. The small town in Florida I live in seems to be collectively mystified by my right hand drive diesel Cruiser with Japanese writing all over the engine compartment.

I was having a couple of issues and took it to a mechanic. He checked some things and then noted that when he put it on the lift to check the 4x4 function he noticed that the rear brakes were not engaging at all. Wheels just kept spinning.

I'm guessing it has to do with the load sensor between the rear brakes, but do any of you folks have experience with this? Is that the likely problem? Someone told me it can just be removed and replaced with a tee but I don't want wonky braking. And I want to do things right. Might it be something else?

Advice please! Thanks a bunch.
Where in Florida?

Both my rear calipers had seized pistons when I went to rebuild them after I bought my Prado. They cross over to one of the 80 series that are also well known to have problems with rear seized calipers.

Regarding that load sensing proportioning valve...it just plain sucks. Would be nice to buy an aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve and just set it for good. I've been meaning to do this and just have not got to it yet. Maybe something like this would work: Wilwood Disc Brakes - Porportioning Valves & Pressure Valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom