Is searching broken? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Were you working on cruiser parts in the kitchen again?
that would have been more fun than staring at search indexing scripts as they updated...uugh...

Blame it on the waning moon.

Looks like it's playing up for me too woody. It's refusing to find posts, I tested it by copying and pasting thread titles into the search bar, but no luck there.

Also, thanks for the last 10 years of helping me waste my life and a significant portion of my wage on this hobby!:flipoff2:

Worked fine for me this morning, sunspots, waning moon and all, Safari infected ipad....

But now my irrigation water is shutoff, and there's a forest fire over yon ridge.
Correlation does not imply causation...

Yeah the search crapped out again. When searching for threads that I started I either get threads that I thought were looooong gone and/or I get "not found" even they the thread is as fresh as this week.

Examples help.... words you searched for specifically, thread you expected to see...

I just searched "searching broken" and this thread came up first.

Examples help.... words you searched for specifically, thread you expected to see...

I just searched "searching broken" and this thread came up first.

The other day when typing this in it wouldn't bring up anything, now it will only bring up the thread (possibly because I edited the first post the other day) and one other post I typed but nothing else of the 3 page thread.

Doing that search which should bring up heaps of results only brings up 9 and other than my thread none are newer than 2013.
image.png

I just searched "1hz ct26" and got 7 pages of results. It searches ALL words, so if a few aren't present, results won't show. Change your terms to be less specific...

The upgraded search used on the forum is better than the base setup, but still far from great. I've reindexed a dozen times, and the algorithm used just isn't perfect...but never is :)

I know my old work boss 10 years back couldn't find a thing on Google, and would stop by my office...never more than 30 seconds to find exactly what he wanted.

I tried a variety of words in my search the other day even copied and pasted the title of the thread once I finally found it and it still couldn't find it. Dunno, maybe it just had a hiccup and quit doing its thing for a bit.

Or maybe it's me that's going crazy... Been home for 4 days out of the last 60 and it's starting to tell.:confused:

I'm re-indexing...again...and made an adjustment to how date-weighted results are. Might make a difference. Might be a waste of 4 hours of staring at my screen watching it update :p

I'm still getting odd search results. For example, searching for "kurt" and selecting to sort by most recent. I get two results from today/yesterday and then it starts at April 24th and works backwards for 30 pages. Nothing from April 24th-yesterday.

Mud_search.JPG

great....we need to update to the most recent Elastisearch, but have been stalling for a few other things to get handled first. Either way, that shouldn't effect results.

I'm still getting odd search results. For example, searching for "kurt" and selecting to sort by most recent. I get two results from today/yesterday and then it starts at April 24th and works backwards for 30 pages. Nothing from April 24th-yesterday.

View attachment 1327919

Do you search again as you did in the above screen shot, do you get the same results? If you do, go to advanced search and click on the "Search Threads and Posts" tab, then do the same search? Different results? The results from April in your list, are actually conversations, not post/thread results. Since the search engine will extract X number of results, if a word your searching for is in your conversations, it will impact the results you get vs what others will get. For example, "kurt" is not in my conversations, so all I get is posts in my search results when I search everything.

Do you search again as you did in the above screen shot, do you get the same results? If you do, go to advanced search and click on the "Search Threads and Posts" tab, then do the same search? Different results? The results from April in your list, are actually conversations, not post/thread results. Since the search engine will extract X number of results, if a word your searching for is in your conversations, it will impact the results you get vs what others will get. For example, "kurt" is not in my conversations, so all I get is posts in my search results when I search everything.

Bingo, that totally works for posts. I was actually searching for a part number in a conversation and couldn't get any results so I tried my name. So partial success :D

Bump, anyone else having issues with the search? I can't get replies to show up in a common search that are less than a week old? Anyone getting similar results?

Example search words??

Even your username, nothing newer than 11/13 when searching via "Search Threads and Posts" and your username.

IMG_4653.PNG

Have been testing a updated XF install, found a conflict in the search indexing. Should be corrected later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom