New to Me 01 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, figured I might as well introduce myself instead of just lurking and awkwardly posting out of nowhere on people's threads. Anyways, my name is JP, and I just picked up my first Land Cruiser, an 01 UZJ100.

I've primarily been driving Miatas for the past few years and was up to four this summer; got rid of two and drove one cross country from VA to CA to gift to my dad. The other was my daily driver/autocross car, and I got rear ended by a semi in it pulling off the interstate to pick up my moving truck/trailer, the day before I was supposed to move to Colorado. Still dealing with insurance on that one, but needed something I could drive in the winter here and while that situation is resolved...

Found this LC in California, had my dad check it out for me, and the seller was willing to pull the listing so I could check it out myself as I was going to be going out to Cali for Thanksgiving. Got a one way ticket, made it happen, drove it back to Colorado a few days later. The seller was the original owner and had bought it for his wife to drive the kids around to sports and whatnot... From the condition, I don't doubt it was used for that for half a second. The seller wasn't sure when the timing was last done, and according to the records he was able to dig up it had been done once at 120k and hadn't been done since then (235k when I went to look at it). I preemptively bought everything to do a timing/water pump/fan bracket service and was able to negotiate price because of this. Ended up paying $5800.

Get it back to my parents house and tear into it to look at the condition of the belt, removing the left cover and decide it looks pretty good. Have my dad come out to look, and he points out a Continental timing sticker on the right cover that I somehow completely missed, which indicates it was done at 194k. Sweet. Return the parts as it's not due for another 40k, and I have no idea when that will be (longest I've owned any vehicle was for 47k miles, shortest for ~1k miles), call it good to go.

Anyways, picture:

8EP4b8p.jpg

Full album: 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser UZJ100

The pictures are of it in the condition I got it in, before making any changes to it at all. Obviously it's got a long way to go, but it's just a matter of time before it gets done.

I've started cleaning it up, and spent several hours working on the leather so far. I realize it's a bit of a lost cause, given the neglect its seen, but it's already much better all things considered (will post pics later). I've ordered a set of tires, 285/75-16 :)bang: yes, I can read and not ask those questions again haha), and will post updated exterior pics when I get them mounted... should have the running boards off by that point too.

The truck was in a front end collision at some point, which is why the front end condition is crap (paint not properly matched and flaking on the fender, not original hood or from the wrong year, headlight tabs broken and "fixed", no fog lights). I got a nice Christmas present from Jeff :santa:(perrobravo) for the front bumper, a set of OEM fogs to fill in the holes... go to put them in, only to find out that the harness has been cut on both sides. Ordered a set of pigtail harnesses for the bulbs, which came in yesterday and still need to get soldered in.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and share original condition pics of my LC... I'm in the Fort Collins CO area and will be checking out Horsetooth 4 Wheelers next time they have a meeting, definitely interested in meeting people out here as well!

Can't wait to see the transformation. That back seat! Yikes! Awesome value tho if your up to a little TLC

Haven't taken updated pictures of the seats yet because I don't quite have them as clean as I'd like, but here's some cell phone pics from the cleaning... Started with the third row since I didn't have much to lose, but obviously the two front rows are a lot dirtier and will require some additional work beyond what I've already done.

Before:
BT072CK.jpg

One done:
ibC2td2.jpg

Both done:
IDFKNuf.jpg

Passenger seat (back done, bottom before and after):
2W7SlmL.jpg

fTevvhD.jpg

Obviously there's only so much you can do with leather that has likely never been cleaned or conditioned :( It'll be better, but I'm not expecting 100%, and still happy at the price point I paid.

Welcome! Looks like a good deal. Also check out rockymountainoverland.com if you're into the Overlanding thing. Good group.

Obviously there's only so much you can do with leather that has likely never been cleaned or conditioned :( It'll be better, but I'm not expecting 100%, and still happy at the price point I paid.

Wow... you did a great job! May I ask what you use for cleaning and conditioning?

Wow... you did a great job! May I ask what you use for cleaning and conditioning?

Best practice is to use the mildest cleaner possible and go up to something more powerful only if necessary... In my case, I knew my leather was already shot and milder cleaners didn't do anything, so I went all out and used an especially harsh cleaner (Scrubbing Bubbles, original green top, and no I'm not kidding) and a medium stiffness brush to open up the pores and really get the crap out/off the leather. I followed this up by water and then multiple applications of leather conditioner, Meguire's in this case, as it was all I could find locally on short notice.

Welcome! Before I saw your location, I saw that photo and said to myself, that looks like the northern Front Range. Nice to see another FoCo resident on here!

Welcome! Before I saw your location, I saw that photo and said to myself, that looks like the northern Front Range. Nice to see another FoCo resident on here!

Crazy how many northern CO folk are in the 100 section. Do you ever go to Cruise Moab?

I have never, but would love to. Would also love to attend HIH as well. I've been to Moab a number of times, but for mountain biking.

Ah yes, now that I have a 100 (470), I should check out the Hundreds in the Hills event!

@PabloCruise BTW I moved to Windsor a few months ago... haha. If you drive down Main Street while I'm home, you'll see my 100 right across the street from the middle school :D

@PabloCruise BTW I moved to Windsor a few months ago... haha. If you drive down Main Street while I'm home, you'll see my 100 right across the street from the middle school :D

I think I saw it! Looking like a few more mods than the original pictures now?
Nice! We will have to get together. Maybe go to the May meeting for Horsetooth 4 Wheelers...

I think I saw it! Looking like a few more mods than the original pictures now?
Nice! We will have to get together. Maybe go to the May meeting for Horsetooth 4 Wheelers...
Still stock height, took off the running boards, added a roof basket and went up to 285/75-16s, so nothing crazy. Just enjoying having it as a reliable daily, giving me the time to work on and finish my project vehicles :) Could definitely stand to have stiffer rear springs and maybe an inch or two of lift over stock so my girlfriend struggles a bit more to get up into the cruiser lol

Side note, I need to do some maintenance items on the 100 sooner rather than later;
- Hand brake hasn't worked since I've had it, need to reread the service manual and figure out how to adjust it properly to where it does work, since what I've read online suggests it rarely wears out (but is often improperly adjusted)
- Brakes were replaced fairly recently before my getting it, but I hate how they feel. Thinking I'll likely pick up a set of Hawk LTS pads when I find the time
- Power steering fluid is leaking onto my header and giving a wonderful smell, need to clean and clamp the lines to see if that fixes it otherwise replace the lines (per this thread)
- Tune up? I want to do new spark plugs, clean the MAF, and see if that leaves it running a bit smoother because it's running a little rough right now and I'm not sure exactly why.

Still stock height, took off the running boards, added a roof basket and went up to 285/75-16s, so nothing crazy. Just enjoying having it as a reliable daily, giving me the time to work on and finish my project vehicles :) Could definitely stand to have stiffer rear springs and maybe an inch or two of lift over stock so my girlfriend struggles a bit more to get up into the cruiser lol

Yep, I think I've peeped you! Horsetooth 4 Wheelers are meeting next week... May 2016 Club Meeting and Other Information

Side note, I need to do some maintenance items on the 100 sooner rather than later;
- Hand brake hasn't worked since I've had it, need to reread the service manual and figure out how to adjust it properly to where it does work, since what I've read online suggests it rarely wears out (but is often improperly adjusted)
- Brakes were replaced fairly recently before my getting it, but I hate how they feel. Thinking I'll likely pick up a set of Hawk LTS pads when I find the time
- Power steering fluid is leaking onto my header and giving a wonderful smell, need to clean and clamp the lines to see if that fixes it otherwise replace the lines (per this thread)
- Tune up? I want to do new spark plugs, clean the MAF, and see if that leaves it running a bit smoother because it's running a little rough right now and I'm not sure exactly why.

I can help you with the parking brake. It would be quicker to just do it together than try to type it out. Not too bad, as long as nothing is seized...

Yep, I think I've peeped you! Horsetooth 4 Wheelers are meeting next week... May 2016 Club Meeting and Other Information
Might have to coordinate cruising out to that with you...

I can help you with the parking brake. It would be quicker to just do it together than try to type it out. Not too bad, as long as nothing is seized...
With it being a CA vehicle my fingers are crossed that nothing is seized... haven't had any issues getting any bolts off to date :)

So a couple months have passed with me continuing putting off this maintenance, because I like learning the limitations of a vehicle the hard way... With that said, a few things came up which couldn't get put off any longer :(

Heater hose tee fittings; I'm assuming most people in the 100 forum have read about them and seen what they look like once they've failed (if not, here's the thread). One of mine had been replaced and the other one had been failing for a while (I was watching it carefully), and I finally decided to park my 100 and take care of these and the other stuff I'd mentioned before. I wouldn't recommend taking chances with these, but I live a mile and a half from work and wasn't driving out of town because of my brakes. Anyways, here's pics of the failing/failed tee, as well as the one someone replaced and what I'm putting in.

kkosOdI.jpg

9Dj0fUB.jpg

fEWXoXp.jpg

qPbwuD4.jpg

CUHDoQx.jpg

Factory tee's measure 17mm X 14mm X 17 MM.
Pass through; 17mm (.67 inch) OD on shaft & 18.44m (.726 inch) OD on barb, 13mm (.50 inch) ID.
Tee (smaller down hose): 14mm (.55 inch) OD on shaft & 15mm (.59 inch) OD on barb, 10mm (.40 inch) ID.
Length of shafts are 25mm (1 inch).

The route I decided to go, based on 2001LC's specs and what I read, was with steel tees, part number 84543. The pass throughs are 5/8", and the tee is 1/2". I was able to get them locally (at O'Reilly's) same day for $12/ea before tax, but they're also available online (e.g. via Amazon). If they last for twice as long as the plastic OEM ones (and I'm sure they will), I'll have gotten my moneys worth. Scratch that, I'll have gotten my moneys worth either way, because they look better and I have more faith in them.

I have no idea if my heater hoses are original or not, but they were swollen (and stretched from the replaced fitting) so there wasn't any sense in leaving them in. My tee option opened up possibilities for hoses, because I went from metric to standard. Long story short, I don't like the idea of getting stranded somewhere and not being able to get specialty hoses; I would much rather be able to use a hose that any redneck at any shop can get me on a day's notice.

The hose I found that made me happy was Gates 19082/Dayco 87881. With a single one of these hoses, which can currently be had for <$14 on Amazon, I'm able to replace all four of the upper hoses with nearly identical angles/lengths. Placed my original hoses onto the generic hose for reference:

16kQinZ.jpg

The one hose which doesn't have a perfect match in terms of bend is the 90 degree one, as you see here:

n8j0Z3a.jpg

I haven't yet decided on a hose for the two lower ones, but I intend to find something along the same lines as this. My plan is to try this out for ~28k miles until my 100 gets to 275k miles and I do the timing belt (or earlier, if it ends up needing it sooner than that), unless anyone knows of a good reason for removing the restriction caused by the 90 degree bend in this hose?

For my little "250k" tune up, I'm just doing the basics: air filter and spark plugs.

yh3SrZu.jpg

79LqfXG.jpg

The spark plugs aren't all that awful, but since I have absolutely no idea when they were last done, I figure I might as well do them and have the peace of mind knowing when they were done and with what. I picked up some Denso SK20R11 plugs to keep things simple and (knock on wood) hopefully trouble free.

My power steering leak is still present, guess that'll happen when you don't actually do anything to fix the issue... oops.

hSWaP1o.jpg

I'll finally be re-clamping the line after detailing the engine bay, so I should have a better idea of where my leaks are once that all happens.

And then of course, last but not least, there's brakes. I did end up getting Hawk LTS pads for the front and rear as well as new blank rotors all around. I've had a lot of success with this combination in other vehicles I've had and worked on, and am curious to see how it works out on a 100, since all I've seen is that a couple guys run them on their 80s. I realize they'll surely be more dusty, but I don't exactly keep my 100 shined up, so that doesn't much bother me. If we're being honest, I probably haven't washed it in the past 8-9 months. I'm not really looking forward to having to do a brake job all around, but it'll be nice finally having brakes that work properly (read: better than stock) and a functional handbrake. Major props to TJ (PabloCruise) for helping me out and lending me his 54mm socket for the fronts :beer:

Anyhow, just a little update for today, figured it had been long enough to warrant one :p:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom