Ok, so talk me IN to gull wing back windows (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I am considering new runs and gaskets for my rear sliding wondows, but if the gull wing swing out windows (or panels) are so much better, I'll save my pennies and wait.

Currently, I can slide the half window open from outside and grab stuff from there, saving screwing with the PITA swingout. I don't have a fridge (yet) but have acessed my cooler from the slider. I also like being able to put a screen over it (via gorilla tape) for the Michigan UP 's occasional bugs :lol:.

Basically, I see the factory slider as pretty damn versatile, so, am I missing something?

Please enlighten me, all ye current enlightened ones.

can we make gull wings that have an opening in them that does something like what the factory sliders do?

can we make gull wings that have an opening in them that does something like what the factory sliders do?
You mean like slide and swing out?

@junior80 , love your avatar, by the way. The beautiful 80, the pretty trees in the background. You know.

I've seen sliding gull wing windows in the rear cap of a tundra.

IMG_20160926_210718_01.jpg
Where there is a will there is a way. And if someone makes some of these I will want them!

I am considering new runs and gaskets for my rear sliding wondows, but if the gull wing swing out windows (or panels) are so much better, I'll save my pennies and wait.

Currently, I can slide the half window open from outside and grab stuff from there, saving screwing with the PITA swingout. I don't have a fridge (yet) but have acessed my cooler from the slider. I also like being able to put a screen over it (via gorilla tape) for the Michigan UP 's occasional bugs :lol:.

Basically, I see the factory slider as pretty damn versatile, so, am I missing something?

If you don't have that s***, you're not cool. You wouldn't want to be uncool, would you?

If you don't have that s***, you're not cool. You wouldn't want to be uncool, would you?
Oh man! I hate to say it, but I am soooo guilty of doing stuff just for that reason! It's a constant inner struggle every day.
In my defense, my town has next to zero Toyota/Cruisers in it (besides mine) and it is full of Heeps with Mall Crawler mods, so the influence is all around.

That said though, the gull wing window looks pretty useful.

my town has next to zero Toyota/Cruisers in it (besides mine) and it is full of Heeps with Mall Crawler mods

I feel your pain, here it's the same 20 newish heeps in the same color, with the same lightbar, and the same bumper. Bland and meh IMO.

One of the most used items on my 80 I cant imagine traveling without having them. A customer just returned from 8+ months in South America and found them an asset with rear tire carrier.

IMG_2070.JPG

Getting ready for a flight into Johns Canyon

img_3487-jpg.1146485

Last edited:

I have used window gaskets in great condition available from flip up window installs if interested.

Who is supplying these hatch windows?

Ive seen yotateq but not sure what the options are beyond that.

I have one of Phil's flip up windows. If you are at all hesitant because of some concern that it is difficult to install, put that fear aside. I installed mine by myself without issue. It took me about 10-15 minutes to remove the factory window and about a 30 minutes to install the new panel. It's functional, sturdy, lockable and looks clean. It gives me easy access to my fridge and water storage bricks without fussing with the rear hatch. It's also completely reversible if for some reason you wanted to remove it.

Somebody attempted to pry into one of my sliding windows and would have been succesful if not for being startled. It appears to me that the gullwings can be more secure, even though I realize nothing is fool proof when it comes to a determined thief, and since I needed to take straighten/repair the window frame anyways I purchased the steel Yodateq ones with molle panels. I sleep in the back on a drawer/sleeping platform and I find having those wings open is very nice. Sliding windows can do the same but I like the overall size of the opening on both sides and tremendous open air feeling it affords. I also like being able to access the side storage areas that are built into the drawer system and having the ability to strap things to the molle panels for quick access.
Mods I need to do to them: 1st is they need a screen system at times. I am going to make a collapsible screen/mesh for them that attaches easily and can be stowed quickly. 2nd thing is I am going to attach a couple handles to the insides of the wings so that I can pull them closed from the inside, in case of rain, etc. I tested closing the latches from the inside and they work fine but just need a handle to pull them down. The lift strut is pretty strong and makes it a challenge without a handle.
I also like the looks of them and am not quite sure why that gets pooed on as for a reason to buy something for the truck. It isn't the only reason I got them or even the primary or secondary reason I bought them but I have to say I like the look of them.

Somebody attempted to pry into one of my sliding windows and would have been succesful if not for being startled. It appears to me that the gullwings can be more secure, even though I realize nothing is fool proof when it comes to a determined thief, and since I needed to take straighten/repair the window frame anyways I purchased the steel Yodateq ones with molle panels. I sleep in the back on a drawer/sleeping platform and I find having those wings open is very nice. Sliding windows can do the same but I like the overall size of the opening on both sides and tremendous open air feeling it affords. I also like being able to access the side storage areas that are built into the drawer system and having the ability to strap things to the molle panels for quick access.
Mods I need to do to them: 1st is they need a screen system at times. I am going to make a collapsible screen/mesh for them that attaches easily and can be stowed quickly. 2nd thing is I am going to attach a couple handles to the insides of the wings so that I can pull them closed from the inside, in case of rain, etc. I tested closing the latches from the inside and they work fine but just need a handle to pull them down. The lift strut is pretty strong and makes it a challenge without a handle.
I also like the looks of them and am not quite sure why that gets pooed on as for a reason to buy something for the truck. It isn't the only reason I got them or even the primary or secondary reason I bought them but I have to say I like the look of them.

I dont see any flip up windows more or less secure than glass. I dont know if you can consider your lucky that your thieves were rookies because an experienced one would take the simple fast approach and take out a glass window.

As for flip up window screens a couple of my customers use 2nd row window socks <link with my window mod <link to solve your ventilation issue for sleeping.

I'm guessing they didn't bust glass because of noise it would cause. Truck was sitting about 15-20 ft from 4 apartments with the windows open. The night they stole my Lightforce lights, I actually heard the tools hit the bumper once but didn"t go look. I thought it was someone coming in late. Maybe just as well I didn't see them as I can see a lot of bad outcomes from that encounter.
Thanks for the link on the screens. Will give them a look.

I'm guessing they didn't bust glass because of noise it would cause. Truck was sitting about 15-20 ft from 4 apartments with the windows open. The night they stole my Lightforce lights, I actually heard the tools hit the bumper once but didn"t go look. I thought it was someone coming in late. Maybe just as well I didn't see them as I can see a lot of bad outcomes from that encounter.
Thanks for the link on the screens. Will give them a look.

The manufacture change the design of my screens and they no longer meet my specs and I will no longer sell them:( I have heard they are available from Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom