Need Advice: How to get parts and/or fixed in the mountains? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just sheared my knuckle studs on the Red Lake/Coyote Lake Trail near Shaver Lake. Unfortunately when the studs sheared, it took out the upper knuckle bearing and knuckle seal and felt. The rig is undrivable. And I am a few miles up what is likely a green circle/blue square trail.

I'm seeking to reach out to Marlin Crawler to get the parts I need and get them up the mountain and fix it on the trail.

At this point it looks like I need a way to remove the 4 broken studs, need 4 new studs, 4 nuts for studs, upper and probably lower knuckle bearings and possibly the knuckle seals as well as diff fluid and bearing grease. Does anybody have thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to spend any longer than I need to camping out here.

FYI, a few guys in my party will be coming by tomorrow (Monday) late in the day on their way out. We probably have all the tools we need, but the problem is the parts.

My wife is typing this for me. Fortunately, I have cell reception. I am also available on my ham radio via the Shaver Lake repeater at 146.820 and simplex at 146.500

thanks for your help.

If you could get them to bring ya used knuckle it would be easier for ya depending on how deep the studs that broke are, if not too deep get steering arm out the way and either double nut, or you can use stud remover maybe if ya have one or grab them with vice grips and turn out, but if ya get hold some one I'd get a used knuckle that you can just swap, you might have buggered the holes too. Sorry for your luck if you were in colo I'd drive one up to ya, hopefully some Cali guys will get ya fixed up. I guess you could try jacking the truck up and tie some logs under it and drag it out. Do you have another vehicle there? Can you leave it and come back or will it get vandalized? Knuckles get righted to 71 ft lbs on the nuts do the studs to 25 , new studs have a torx head on them also so maybe torx socket for that, do new cones also or when you get home

Does anybody in Fresno have a complete knuckle for sale??
I definitely have spare studs and bearings and nuts but unfortunately no way to get them to you unless your buddies are driving through the bay area tomorrow. You cant mcgyver a fix just to get home?

Thank you. My dad is coming up with supplies and a way to get my truck towed out of here late this afternoon.

Fast and dirty is a used Knuckle and axle.
Pull the upper trunion, leave the lower, disconnect brake line to caliper, pull the tre's.
Everything drops down and out, slap in the used unit, button it up and home you go.

Thank you all!

Here's some follow up in pictures:
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

Turns out a trailer is a great option if you've got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom