Wheel swap. Considerations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
NOOB here...I fixed my bezel so I think I a am allowed to post again now. I am thinking about putting some BF Goodrich 30/9.5/15 (OEM gray rims/hubs) to be able to trade out on occasion my current white wagon wheel rims and tires P235/70R15 and want to know if the bigger tires will cause any trouble for my 1970 FJ40 that has no power steering and has stock drum breaks. My assumption is that the steering would not be an issue because the tires are the same width. I know the added weight (currently unknown) will affect braking, acceleration and MPG. Given that I want to keep the FJ40 as close to original as possible but also want to do some upgrades to enhance safety and reliability....Should I consider a front disc conversion? If so, any recommendations? and is this something I could attempt myself?
What about a possible power steering upgrade? Will the speedometer be off? and lastly, will this necessitate a modification to the gear ratio to compensate for the added weight and size?
Thanks everyone!
full

full

full

I also have a 1970 with no power steering and original drums all around. My steering is in good shape and my brakes are adjusted properly. I have no problem turning or stopping 33x10.5x15 tires. Power steering/brakes would be nice upgrades but certainly aren't necessary.

image.jpeg

If you want power steering but want the option to remove consider @Racer65's bolt on electric power steering. Too rich for my blood at this time but if you don't know how to fab/weld you're going to probably end up spending as much if not more on having someone install the Saginaw power steering setup. And you have the option to remove should you decide you want to go back to stock. Nothing was welded in or cut.

I find that at anything other than say parallel parking the standard steering and 33x10.5 setup is easy for me. Now wheeling is a different story and I don't have any experience with that at this time.

Your not really pushing it very much. Most 40's can run 31 inch tires with no lift. 30's should be no problem for you.

The biggest issue most people have with older fj40 drum brakes is adjustment. They have to be manually adjusted and there's 2 slave cylinders and 2 points of adjustment at each wheel. They work awesome when they are properly adjusted and not leaking and can handle bigger tires no problem but they need a lot of attention. Just like any modification, disc conversions (and power steering conversions especially) are all more expensive than you think they will be once you start opening things up and changing parts so if everything is working well now and you don't mind spending some time under your truck every once in a while adjusting brakes then leave the drums. If all your slave cylinders are leaking and your drums and shoes are worn out then it's worth considering swapping to discs. You will notice a big improvement in braking with the disc conversion and power steering is one of the best off road driveability upgrades you can do but they aren't a necessity and will cost you a lot of time and money. My new motto I'm trying to live by is if it still works, drive it! There's nothing worse than taking a running, driving vehicle offline for a big upgrade then running out of money/time/motivation/parts half way through and having it sit in your garage or driveway for x amount of time so you cant enjoy driving it.

I ran those tires (A/T) for years on a '71 with stock springs and steering and had no problems, on or off road.

Re brakes, I agree with the others. If the front (and rear) drums are kept in adjustment and the shoes are not worn, they work fine and will stop you from any speed a stock FJ40 can reach. And adjustment is not as big a deal as some would have you believe, jut takes time and patience. I have no idea what a front disk conversion would cost but I know there are other things I would spend my $ on before doing front disks. Disks are obviously an improvement over drums - why else would Toyota and virtually every other manufacturer have gone to disks front or front and rear both? Whether they are a necessity is another matter.

Good luck,
Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom