Options for removing stuck EGR valve nut? (Pic) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

My EGR is fairly rusted and the nut only moves the slightest bit. Which way do I turn it to unscrew the valve? Facing the valve standing at the front of the truck, is it clockwise or counterclockwise?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-- Beej

This dang thing will NOT come off. Tried some penetrating oil. Tried the torch. The valve turns freely; that is the nut and valve turn together on the hard line but the valve won't separate from the nut...
:bang::bang:

How badly is leaving this problem alone going to bite me in the butt latero_O

Is it worth cutting it off and getting another nut and EGR? (If getting another nut is even an option???)

Get a bigger wrench and more penetrating oil.
You need about a 3 foot pipe wrench and a matching wrench or SST to hold the EGR valve still. It is your standard lefty loosey, righty tighty nut.

Last edited:
Alright, this will probably necessitate more tools. What a pain!

I'll remove RTH and get back at this tomorrow. :crybaby:

Get a propane torch or a heat gun. Get a chemical resistant spray bottle, acetone and some ATF. Mix 50/50
Heat the nut until hot...NOT glowing orange or even red but engine temp hot. Spray the ATF/acetone mix on the nut, it helps to roll up some paper towels and wrap around the joint and really soak it. Then when it's about warm to the touch remount it and try removing the nut using the proper sized wrench and a mallet...preferably a deadblow. And it should turn clockwise as you described. Use a nut and bolt to visualize.

Connect the EGR again, so you can get proper torque on it and not bend the pipe.

Home Depot sold the correct wrench for this for under $15.

From the angle you are showing picture, you should be turning clockwise. Last time I helped someone with this, they were turning the wrong way.

It is a lot easier if you have the egr bolted to the manifold still.

That's the ticket! Reconnect the EGR to the manifold. Holy mackerel! Wow; I need to think a little harder.

Home Depot sold the correct wrench for this for under $15.

Really? I just had to pay $35 for an 1 1/4 wrench from Lowes. Internet seemed to have the same range of price. You talking about a regular open ended wrench or something else?

It is a lot easier if you have the egr bolted to the manifold still.

Again, yes. This. Good grief. I can't believe I missed that one. I was too focused on getting it all apart.

Bypassing or Replacing?

Bypassing or Replacing?

Would be happy to bypass but mostly just trying to get to baseline. I feel like it I leave this thing stuck and don't clean it, I'm just making it worse for future me when I want to bypass or replace or whatever.

If bypassing is easier than cleaning though, sign me up! I've done the bypass or my motorcycle but it was a lot simpler of a set up.

a headset wrench for bicycles work great as well...

That's the ticket! Reconnect the EGR to the manifold. Holy mackerel! Wow; I need to think a little

Experience trumps thinking... I've been doing this for a while. Hope your nut is loose... haha

what is the update Cool hand Luke?

bypass is easy. Two block off plates and one resistor. If you have inspections, or expect to sell to inspection state, no go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom