Sudden Power Steering Failure Diagnosis help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,
I have searched the forum for similar symptoms, but haven't found anything that seems like what happened over the weekend. My 2000 LC is the daily driver for my 17 y.o. son (sigh) and yesterday he came home from church to report that the steering quit. I took it for a drive and sure enough, no PS...but I got a heck of an arm workout.

Now, here is the history and why I am stumped. Replaced all the seals in the pump less than a year ago, has been working fine. No fluid leaks anywhere. Fluid appears to be circulating, but not certain. Son says for the past week or two there has been a whine for about 10 seconds on startup. Trying to figure out if my rebuild was inadequate, if I need a new rack or what. LC has 175k miles.

Thanks all,
mwengr

If he heard a whine then I am going to guess pump. The rack and pinion system is a somewhat simple setup and if it was the rack you would likely be experiencing leaks, or some other strange issue. I'm guessing something was botched from the rebuild.

We had a similar issue in my 17yo son's 2000 LC over the summer. Power steering would go out in the middle of a turn, or if turning from lock-to-lock. A day or so later it went out altogether. Rebuilt the pump, and it quit working the next day. Replaced the pump, and it quit working the next day. Dug a little deeper, and the cause seemed to be a deteriorating PS hose, that was dropping debris into the system. It made the valve in the pump stick and accelerated the wear on the replacement pump. The rack seemed to "hold onto" the debris, so draining/flushing the system wasn't getting it out. The "filter" on the reservoir was gone too.

So, we ended up replacing the reservoir, had a new (pressure) hose made, rebuilt the pump and rebuilt/cleaned out the rack. It was not cheap, but had my kid grinning from ear to ear afterwards.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, looks like I'll either be redoing a rebuild this weekend or putting a new pump and hoses in.

Sounds like pressure issue, but you've not said:

What type of fluid have you been using?
How the Serpentine belt look?
Is the S. belt tensioner within range?

Also take a look at the screen inside the fluid reservoir. You'll find tons of crap on top of it if the hose is damaged. Make sure to get an OEM hose othewise it make make a whining sound when making turns,

If the serp belt were bad it would squeal more than not. If the tensioner were bad...same thing.
Using the wrong fluid would burn up the pump.

I replaced the pulley when I rebuilt the pump less than a year ago.
I just did the timing belt 3 months ago and replaced the s-belt and tensioner when I did that, so they are good.
Fluid is ATF + some of the Lucas Power Steering fluid leftover in the system.

New pump is on order, I'll check the screen tonight.

Even a little Power steering fluid in system causes issues. The issues take time before the appear. Most notable very hard steering when cold and noise (whine). I learned this the hard way ~25 years ago on a Camry. I'm not familiar with Lucas power steering but if it's actually "power steering fluid" I'll bet that's your issue.

It may be to late, but I'd try flushing with 1qt M1 full synthetic MV AFT, three time (3qts), running pump & turning steering wheel in-between flushes (driving a minimum of one hour if possible). Make sure to clean out reservoir & screen in bottom of reservoir first.

It's worth a shot.;)

The only additive I'll use is APT AP-205 re-seal and only if seals are leaking just a bit.

Hey All,
I have searched the forum for similar symptoms, but haven't found anything that seems like what happened over the weekend. My 2000 LC is the daily driver for my 17 y.o. son (sigh) and yesterday he came home from church to report that the steering quit. I took it for a drive and sure enough, no PS...but I got a heck of an arm workout.

Now, here is the history and why I am stumped. Replaced all the seals in the pump less than a year ago, has been working fine. No fluid leaks anywhere. Fluid appears to be circulating, but not certain. Son says for the past week or two there has been a whine for about 10 seconds on startup. Trying to figure out if my rebuild was inadequate, if I need a new rack or what. LC has 175k miles.

Thanks all,
mwengr
Foot note this was not "sudden" you where notified.... "whine" ... Sound is one of our best indicators in any moving parts, on any vehicle.

Just to make sure we are doing our due diligence, but the serpentine belt is in OK condition, correct?

Foot note this was not "sudden" you where notified.... "whine" ... Sound is one of our best indicators in any moving parts, on any vehicle.

Sudden to me, but not to my son...he helped repair the old pump, you would think he'd know that he needed to tell me that there was a steering whine...

I've used the Lucas Power Steering additive stuff before on my wifes Volvo...it made the power steering fluid to thick and fried the power steering pump.
That car also took ATF for power steering fluid.

I've used the Lucas Power Steering additive stuff before on my wifes Volvo...it made the power steering fluid to thick and fried the power steering pump.
That car also took ATF for power steering fluid.
I've used Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak on several toyotas with no ill effect. It's great stuff, but I only believe in small doses. Have yet to experience "thickening" in any of my systems.

Sudden to me, but not to my son...he helped repair the old pump, you would think he'd know that he needed to tell me that there was a steering whine...
Now he'll know.

Thanks for the input guys, got the pump replaced yesterday and some of the hoses. The HP hose I ordered had the banjo fitting 90 degrees wrong, so ended up just putting the OE one back. It was in good shape. Got it flushed and will button up and road test later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom