Engine Starting Short? / SNAFU (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Flank

American by Birth, Texan by the grace of God.
Threads
Website
www.staltimber.com
I've recently had an engine SNAFU while starting that I'm guessing is a short. Background: About 3 weeks ago, I started my 95 and felt that it ran very rough. I looked down at the dash, and had ATF, Oil, and a couple other indicator lights on while the engine ran. I immediately shut it down. Tried a restart, engine ran fine and dash lights were normal.

About a week ago, I had all three kids loaded up in the truck to get to a summer day camp, of course we were running late, and it did this again. Shut it down, but it would not shut down - the starter tried to engage with the ignition OFF! Turned the key on, and it ran immediately in the foul mode, Turn the key off and the starter kept engaging... Three attempts at this. Crap.

I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery to get the starter to quit. I dropped the hood and walked away and have not driven my freshly washed cruiser since...

It had been previously running normal, but with an intermittent starting issue that had me about to replace the starter. Previously, when turning the key, I would get a strong solenoid click with no start. Sometimes would take 2 turns of the key, sometimes 20. I replaced the starter about 7 or 8 years ago with a 2.0 or 2.2w (don't remember, but know it was not a 1.4w and it was new OEM from Toyota).

I fairly sure I'm just going to have to start tearing into the engine wiring between the battery and starter and checking for fried parts, but wanted to see if anyone had a idea of where to narrow it down.

I've recently had an engine SNAFU while starting that I'm guessing is a short. Background: About 3 weeks ago, I started my 95 and felt that it ran very rough. I looked down at the dash, and had ATF, Oil, and a couple other indicator lights on while the engine ran. I immediately shut it down. Tried a restart, engine ran fine and dash lights were normal.

About a week ago, I had all three kids loaded up in the truck to get to a summer day camp, of course we were running late, and it did this again. Shut it down, but it would not shut down - the starter tried to engage with the ignition OFF! Turned the key on, and it ran immediately in the foul mode, Turn the key off and the starter kept engaging... Three attempts at this. Crap.

I had to pop the hood and disconnect the battery to get the starter to quit. I dropped the hood and walked away and have not driven my freshly washed cruiser since...

It had been previously running normal, but with an intermittent starting issue that had me about to replace the starter. Previously, when turning the key, I would get a strong solenoid click with no start. Sometimes would take 2 turns of the key, sometimes 20. I replaced the starter about 7 or 8 years ago with a 2.0 or 2.2w (don't remember, but know it was not a 1.4w and it was new OEM from Toyota).

I fairly sure I'm just going to have to start tearing into the engine wiring between the battery and starter and checking for fried parts, but wanted to see if anyone had a idea of where to narrow it down.

Can't comment on the harsh running, but the starting issue sounds like maybe an ignition switch or ignition cylinder problem. I had a starting issue recently so am fairly familiar with the ignition system, and I'd think maybe the switch is sticking on somehow? It's pretty easy to access in the plastic paneling under the steering wheel.

Starter motor sticking on is VERY common if the solenoid contacts are worn - causes the solenoid to stick and that causes the starter to keep cranking. Motor will run poorly during this 'event'.

7-8 years and lots of start/stops and I'd say your solenoid contacts are likely in need of replacing or at the very least an examination. Of course by the time you remove to check, you may as well have the contacts & plunger kit on hand and replace them...

cheers,
george.

Damn, George. Great input. I've got a backup truck, so will order parts and check it out. Thanks.

To cap the thread - I replaced the starter with a OEM reman 2.0 and all is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom