OEM Bumper Winch Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figured spacing it down wouldn't work but really couldn't tell how much cutting was needed. Since I'm going to go with a rear bumper next, I ordered one of these to install a spare HF 12k badlands winch I bought on a whim and never used
Please detail the HF 12k install. I've got a coupon sitting in the shop that makes it very tempting.

The mount I ordered should arrive tomorrow along with a steel Warn hawse (steel hawse is suitable for a wire rope). I will attempt the install this weekend with a Warn VR8000 I bought years ago and haven't used. It may be a little small for the 100 but just fine with a snatch block for the time being.

Can you post a few pics of you can?
Absolutely. I'm not great at write ups but I will share pictures and experiences!

Please detail the HF 12k install. I've got a coupon sitting in the shop that makes it very tempting.

The mount I ordered should arrive tomorrow along with a steel Warn hawse (steel hawse is suitable for a wire rope). I will attempt the install this weekend with a Warn VR8000 I bought years ago and haven't used. It may be a little small for the 100 but just fine with a snatch block for the time being.
I will. It will be a few weeks before I get to it.
I plan on running the roller fairlead. I waterproofed the winch, then sold the last 100 and never hooked it up. It's too big for my wrangler, I'd rather run it on the new 100 (04 lx470). I'll pick up a used 8274 for the old YJ later The badlands are good winches if you fix the few flaws in waterproofing.

HF Badlands 12 k DIY winch hack waterproof upgrade mod

I started the TJM winch plate install this weekend.

This is what you get:
- Winch Plate (5/16")
- Fairlead Mount (3/16")
- Support Brackets (3/16")
- Assorted Hardware (Most is SAE Grade 5)
- Poor Instructions
IMAG1233.jpg

I added the following to complete my install:
- Warn Steel Hawse
- Warn VR8000
- Black Peak Supply 80 series tow brackets
- New 10.9 and Grade 8 hardware
IMAG1234.jpg

The winch plate fits right into position without a fuss.
IMAG1236.jpg

IMAG1237.jpg

- The TJM documentation doesn't specify a winch rating for the plate. Take a look at the above pictures and notice how little metal actually links the winch plate to the frame mounts. Use your best judgment in determining if your setup will be safe.

There is about a 7 1/2"x23" space to fit a winch. My little Warn fits without an issue and with plenty of room to spare.
IMAG1238.jpg

The solenoid pack fits without any problems. The battery cable locations are not finalized yet, but there is plenty of length to reach the battery.
IMAG1240.jpg

Wired remote access is ample behind the grill.
IMAG1244.jpg

....as is the clutch, below the battery cables. I still need to finalize cable placement.
IMAG1245.jpg

Bumper cover trimmed. I had to trim a piece of the bumper cover supports to fit around the solenoid pack.
IMAG1248.jpg

IMAG1243.jpg

My next step is to trim the bumper support. I ran out of time to complete that step this weekend. Then finalize the cable routing and respool the wire rope :)

I started the TJM winch plate install this weekend.

Great write up @87warrior! Glad you were able to take pics of the install. I got laid off last week so I've been scrambling dealing with that -- I haven't had time to pull my bumper off and take pics and measurements. I should have more time next week.

Nicely detailed write up with great pics! I already have a steel bumper but if I were to go this route I would reinforce the winch plate itself as well as the mounting locations. Especially if you plan on running a larger winch. You may want to consider doing this as well if you plan on doing heavy pulls especially at hard angles. Just my 0.02 but nonetheless it looks good!

That looks reasonably strong... for straight pulls. But wow... there really is nothing supporting offset pulls - those angle braces don't appear strong enough to much more than limit the main plate from dropping under the weight of the winch.

Last edited:
That looks reasonable strong... for straight pulls. But wow... there really is nothing supporting offset pulls - those angle braces don't appear strong enough to much more than limit the main plate from dropping under the weight of the winch.
I totally agree. I think there is an opportunity to tie the fairlead to the frame rails and/or bumper support. I think the most important place that needs reinforcement is the rear cross member mounts. That cross member is pretty thin. I believe some sort of support across the bottom of the cross member is critical. This would be a good point to fasten some beefy side load support to. This is another project for me ;)

I will say that there was zero deflection in the base plate under the 70lb winch, even when mounted only with the 4 tow hook fasteners. Yet that is peanuts compared to the force a 12k winch attached to a snatch block would exert on the mount.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I think there is an opportunity to tie the fairlead to the frame rails and/or bumper support. I think the most important place that needs reinforcement is the rear cross member mounts.

I ended up tying the fairlead bolts to the bumper support for lateral support. However, I agree it could stand to be beefed up. Looking forward to what you come up with. I think this could be a good collaborative project with an eventual spot in the FAQ. --Steve

Did you have to trim any of the bumper support? I called a TJM distributor about the max size winch but have not received a response. Ill try another tomorrow.

I had to carve out most of the middle of the bumper support. I need to remove it and clean up my cuts so I will post pictures of that in about a week. It needs some added support, that is for sure.

This is perfect because I can't afford the blueberry :( Thanks for the thread!!!!

Sent an email to TJM as Summit Racing did not show any. TJM direct wants $234.32. Seems over priced at that price point.

Anyone know if the harbor freight winch plate would work with our rigs?

Sent an email to TJM as Summit Racing did not show any. TJM direct wants $234.32. Seems over priced at that price point.

Anyone know if the harbor freight winch plate would work with our rigs?

It's only like $60 but your are going to have to cut it up and drill holes for it to work. That TJM plate is very reasonably priced in my opinion.

Just measured and it won't work. Length is okay but width is no good.

Anyone have one of those winch plates lying around that they never installed and wanna off load to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom