Builds Euro 1HD-FT Turbo Diesel/H151F 5 Speed Manual LHD 96' USA Swap (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jesus, is your pyro pre turbo? I see 450f at idle let alone running 65mph. Your egts seem extremely low.

Good news about the hi range gears. Sounds like 4.10s and the hirange gears are the ticket. Too bad so much $$.

Pyro is smack-dab in the middle of the exhaust manifold junction, inches from the turbo flange.

Gears are no louder than stock in my view. I am contemplating getting a set of 3.73's if I can find them...on the long term to-do list.

Any info on how you've recalibrated your overboost dash light?

Overboost on mine is not stock, it is one of these from Coolingmist, purchased on Amazon.

full

And for those hungry, here are a few quick videos. Having too much fun driving to get any major pics yet.

45 degrees F out this morning, no glow, and started in about half a rotation of the crank.

Last edited:
Any info on how you've recalibrated your overboost dash light?

I missed this part, I loved to know how the light is adjusted.

edit. nevermind, Steve beat me to the reply:doh:

Do you have a link for that adjustable signal output boost sensor?

Nice job Steve! They are a total blast to drive!! We just got back from the Cruisin' the Woods event in Tillamook, OR this weekend and we wheeled the bone stock 80 there. The diesel ran perfect and besides scratching the powdercoat on the armor, no body damage. Here's a shot coming down the Hogsback Trail, my wife drove the whole day :)
IMG_3520.JPG

And screwing around on an RTI ramp.....
IMG_3531.JPG

It's nearly as flexible as my 40 which a buddy of mine towed down and used for the weekend, scored 1148 on the ramp :cheers:
IMG_3535.JPG

Those EGTs do seem low, though running at higher rpm than most could do it. For t record, at 105ish Km/h which would be 65ish MPH, I see about 640f (340c) an 14-16 psi with my setup

Are those EGTs in DegF?
Sounds like DegC?
My FT with stock tubo and my tune runs about 400C at 100km/h @ 6psi & 2000rpm.
I can push it past 850C under full noise if I add more fuel. In fact I'm sure it was doing just that before I added gauges and freaked out!

Are those EGTs in DegF?
Sounds like DegC?
My FT with stock tubo and my tune runs about 400C at 100km/h @ 6psi & 2000rpm.
I can push it past 850C under full noise if I add more fuel. In fact I'm sure it was doing just that before I added gauges and freaked out!

EGT Placement.

full

Definitely in F. Will take an on-the-road picture, but here is the gauge set, VDO, which I trust. Have not been able to get it past the 900 degree mark yet. What amazes me is how fast the temps drop down when off throttle going downhill.

The IP was rebuilt and tuned for this turbo, intercooler, and free flowing exhaust, plus the injectors were also brought up to factory spec. No fooling with the fueling as of yet, just keeping with the flows which were set for it on the bench.

full

I would make absolutely sure there are no issues with your EGT setup before you increase the fuel. I agree with the other posters. That is super low, like almost impossibly low.

If the readings are good, then that is pretty impressive assuming it still has decent power.

Still having fun with buttoning up some of the inevitable minor issues...and driving the truck just about every day.

What truly amazes me is that it is getting such good mileage that I have gone now over 400 miles on around 18 gallons of fuel. Won't know the real mileage until I do a complete fill-up, though. Would have gone through easily twice as much fuel with the gasser.

Just a quick video while testing the cruise and going up a slight rise in the road.

Still dont get your EGTs. Even intercooled w/gturbo seems impossibly low. I am intercooled, foreal turbine housing and compressor and at 60mph on flat ground I am 750-800f with max of 1050f under full load.

Your tune must be VERY conservative or your gauge/probe may be suspect. I dont even think it would be possible to have EGTs that low on the highway with fuel tuned way down. Never heard of them that low anyway.

I know you said you trust it, but do you have anything to compare it to? Is your ambient temp extremely low?

Sixty degrees F out and raining, plus just came off of a long descent, so starting EGT's were really cool to start with. The section where the video was the start of a one mile 1% grade. With prolonged 60 mph flat I am running max 650 F. Highest I have ever seen so far on a climb is 950 F.

The tune is definitely conservative, as we have not yet cracked the seals on the IP after it was rebuilt/serviced. We will be doing so in a few weeks when back up at Valley Hybrids. With more fuel will come higher EGT's.

Two days of hard work, and the leaky H151F and power steering pump are sealed. Thanks to Dom and Georg for their help, and more than a few hours of us working overtime. Wanted to get these both sealed up before TnS next weekend.

Top cover leaked like a sieve, while the clam shells to center carrier also weeped. O-rings in the PS pump were hard and no longer doing the job.

Still need to sort out the AC pressure shut-off issues, but glad to now be leak free.

full

All torn-down and in need of some cleaning. Definitely had some gunk inside. Running a temp mix of 1 pint of ATF in the mix, to help get any final residue out of the trans.

full

Looking much better.

full

Here are some pics...I welded an extension onto the OEM charcoal canister bracket using 3"x3/16" plate. After drilling the plate appropriately to fit the mounts, I used stainless bolts and welded them in place as "studs" to mount both the Racor filter and the coolant filter. The trick is getting the whole assembly high enough that you can easily change either filter but not so high that it contacts the hood sound proofing. I can just snake the coolant filter out along the back of the battery tray using this setup. Fittings are standard 3/8 NPT barb. Hope this helps
View attachment 1283242
View attachment 1283243 View attachment 1283244

Who makes the radiator filter? Looks stout!

I love finding the right odd bits and pieces from outside of the US to continue to convert the rig to a non-US spec rig...some parts are less than a dollar!

T-Case card for the visor pocket

full

T-Belt sticker, as mine went walkabout

full

Fender Sidemarkers (OK, these were more than a dollar), but well worth it.

full

Quick update on this truck. Did an EBC brake upgrade, rebuilt both calipers (OEM parts) and also rebuilt the entire axle knuckles. Not a small project but should be good for many miles to come.

None of this was planned but occurred when a front caliper locked up which led to finding water intrusion in the knuckles, roasted bearings, etc.
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom