Alternator help on 350 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought my alternator had gone out (no charge on battery posts when vehicle is running). Pulled the alternator and noticed the large white wire with blue stripe was not connected to the alternator. The terminal for that wire was still attached to the alternator. Could this be why I'm not getting a charge at the battery? I'd rather not shell out for a new alternator if not needed.

Thanks!

*76 FJ40 with carbed 350.

There's a very strong possibility... ;)

I'm not familiar with the white wire with blue stripe. Care to elaborate? I thought some left it unhooked when upgrading to a higher amp alternator?

When the replacement alternator is bigger than 30 Amps, most people skip the white/blue wire and hook up the +B wire from the alternator direct to the battery. This prevents a burn out Ammeter in case the charge is over 30 Amps.
Disadvantage is that you don't have a visual on the charging. The Ammeter now only shows the negative (discharge).
Image-02_crop2.jpg

Of course you put in a fusible link.

Rudi

Last edited:
So if I hook that wire back up to the alternator life should be good again? Thanks!

If there is no wire attached to the +B terminal/stud on the alternator then that is your problem. A broken wire at the terminal.
BUT...... if there is a wire connected to that terminal than the White/Blue was cut on purpose.
A picture would help.

Rudi

If there is no wire attached to the +B terminal/stud on the alternator then that is your problem. A broken wire at the terminal.
BUT...... if there is a wire connected to that terminal than the White/Blue was cut on purpose.
A picture would help.

Rudi

That must be the problem Rudi. I appreciate your help guys! I wasn't sure if the PO left that wire intentionally off when they did the 350 swap.

Any idea what gauge the white/blue wire is?

I'll trace it tonight to see if a fusible link is present. If not what amp fusible link should be in line?

IIRC the white / blue is AWG 8. The fusible link (not a fuse) is 4 AWG numbers higher so AWG 12.
A / the fusible link is a small cable about a few inches long.

Looks like this one. Copied from another thread.
The fusible link is in two pieces laying on the disconnected battery. The two quick disconnects are at the top and bottom of the photo.

photo-jpg.534900

Rudi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom