Joining the club...finally! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick update- I sold my 4runner last week and was able to order the suspension for the GX. It was bitter sweet, I have owned it for so long it was like a part of the family. My 5 year old son was sad to see it go but is happy to lift the "Land Cruiser" as he calls it. I ordered my set up from Wheelers Off Road as I used them when I lifted the 4runner and had a good experience. I decided on the old faithful OME set up like I had on the 4runner. I was considering the Ironman set up that seems to be popular with the GX's but decided to go with what I had used before and was happy with.
Front- OME N140S shocks with 2885 springs and a trim packer for the driver side to correct any lean.
Rear- OME 60004 Nitrocharger shocks with 2895 springs and metal tech Lower coil perch kit and upper coil spring seats from amazon.

I am hoping to get between 2-2.5 inches of lift in the front and a full 2 inches in the rear. I will definitely report back with some results. The parts should arrive this week and am hoping to make time this weekend to do the install.

I did a few things to the GX this week, nothing special but I will share.

I was happy the Husky floor liners from the 4runner fit well enough in GX to reuse them. Saved me some $$$

P_20160915_170810_LL.jpg
P_20160915_170826_LL.jpg

I changed all the interior bulbs to LED's. The two 48SMD panels in the dome light are flipping bright!

P_20160915_170914_LL.jpg

I ordered a set of some cheap seat covers for the front just to get by until I could afford some custom fit Cover Kings or Wet Okoles. These actually fit and look pretty nice and will probably keep them until they start falling apart. Pretty happy with them for now.

https://www.amazon.com/FH-FB083102-...F8&qid=1474301073&sr=1-1&keywords=fh+Neoprene

P_20160915_170842_LL.jpg

Finally a moment of silence for my sold 4runner..........

943427_10201180973396469_1673122902_n.jpg

I installed the suspension/lift today. Everything went pretty smooth other than the factory front coil overs being stuck in place. Took about 45 min with a sledge hammer and BF screwdriver to pop them out. Here are a few pics right after I was done, I will get some better ones after I clean her up.

14440729_10210869805971228_283097090758409424_n.jpg

14484901_10210869805851225_2026742230485247022_n.jpg

20160926_052546.jpg

I installed the suspension/lift today. Everything went pretty smooth other than the factory front coil overs being stuck in place. Took about 45 min with a sledge hammer and BF screwdriver to pop them out. Here are a few pics right after I was done, I will get some better ones after I clean her up.

View attachment 1327499

View attachment 1327500

View attachment 1327501
Looks great!, I think I am going with your exact suspension set up and tire size. Any links to where you purchased everything you needed for the suspension?

Was the installation pretty easy/self explanatory or did you use someone's write up to help you? After the suspension and tire upgrade, was there anything you needed to do (alignment, extended brake lines, castor correction, or any other adjustments)? Those are the things we had to do on my 80 after lift and tires, so just wondering if there was stuff like that for the GX470. Thanks for any advice!

Looks great!, I think I am going with your exact suspension set up and tire size. Any links to where you purchased everything you needed for the suspension?

Was the installation pretty easy/self explanatory or did you use someone's write up to help you? After the suspension and tire upgrade, was there anything you needed to do (alignment, extended brake lines, castor correction, or any other adjustments)? Those are the things we had to do on my 80 after lift and tires, so just wondering if there was stuff like that for the GX470. Thanks for any advice!

Thanks! I will post links to where I purchased all the parts for the suspension. The installation was pretty easy since I had done the suspension on my 3rd gen 4runner and a few friends 1st gen Tacoma's, so I had a little experience. There are a few things that are a little different so I watched the videos that Dan Kunz posted on his facebook page when he helped a GX owner install their suspension which helped. After the lift was done I got the alignment done right away and had to trim a little off the front wheel well liner since it was rubbing a little at full lock. I did not get upper control arms yet so the alignment was not 100% to spec but close enough for now so the tires should wear fine and it feels perfect on the highway at speed. The suspension feels great, a little stiffer and more truck like than stock but I like it better that way. That's about it, let me know if you have any other question.

Suspension parts- Quality Off Road Parts & Accessories Since 1999

Lower rear spring perch kit- GX470 Rear Coil Conversion DIY Kit

Rear upper spring seats- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GKH33N...=UTF8&colid=XNN1Y9XH68AJ&coliid=I4RHFMMZSOFP2

IMG_20161002_103913.jpg

IMG_20161002_103852.jpg

Last edited:
Did you have to deflate the spare for the stock location? I am assuming yes.

No it fits. I found a slightly used 275/70/17 BFG KO2 on EBAY and had it mounted on the factory spare wheel and it just barley fit in the stock spare location fully inflated. I don't see how some guys are getting 285's to fit under there though.

I'm glad you posted your specs that is a sharp looking rig! I'm hoping to have the stance and tire size on mine. What did the rims set you back if you don't mind?

I'm glad you posted your specs that is a sharp looking rig! I'm hoping to have the stance and tire size on mine. What did the rims set you back if you don't mind?

Thanks man! The wheels run $699 a set and they include a set of lug nuts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom