Oil Leak - Need the ih8mud experts out there for diagnosis - Photos included (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an oil leak that is near the front end of the vehicle, slightly off to the passenger side. It looks like it is running right below the front axle. I can't quite see but I think there may be a pan under there. Any help in diagnosing this and an idea of how much time it would take to replace would be awesome.

Thanks guys!!

FullSizeRender3.jpg

IMG_1255.JPG
FullSizeRender1.jpg

Have you checked the fit of your power steering hoses at the reservoir? With it being on the PS that's a good possibility.

Interesting that you say that. My steering seems to be super loose. Could this be why?

Probably not related. Loose steering is probably rack bushings. PS reservoir leaks on mine. Hoses only come as an expensive kit so I replaced the spring clamps with worm drive and it's 99% cured.

Sent from my SM-G900V

No offense man you need to take the "skid plates" off for those pics to help. What does it look like from inside the engine bay? Can you see any oil anywhere? On these engines the only oil leaks that are "common" are with the valve covers. I have seen some leak pretty bad. Good news its an easy fix, if thats the issue. Need better pics to see whats going on.

I have a similar leak but not as bad as yours. Right now, just a drop or two per day on the ground. I actually can't see anything wet underneath. I'm planning on pulling the plate covers off this weekend or next, to see if I can get a better look. Curious what your diagnosis is and if I have same problem

I have a similar leak but not as bad as yours. Right now, just a drop or two per day on the ground. I actually can't see anything wet underneath. I'm planning on pulling the plate covers off this weekend or next, to see if I can get a better look. Curious what your diagnosis is and if I have same problem

I can tell you really want to take the easy way out of this. If you really want to find the leak then you need to pull the skid plates.

Probably not related. Loose steering is probably rack bushings. PS reservoir leaks on mine. Hoses only come as an expensive kit so I replaced the spring clamps with worm drive and it's 99% cured.

Sent from my SM-G900V

This is not true. Loose steering can also be attributed to a worn steering rack. The steering rack can also leak fluild.

I'm always looking for an easier way to do things...but regardless, I'm planning on spending some wrench time underneath, pulling skid plates and everything off. Even one drop will drive me nuts.

This is not true. Loose steering can also be attributed to a worn steering rack. The steering rack can also leak fluild.

My post was addressing a leak at the reservoir not the rack.

Super old post here, but I have similar leak. Color is green. I have taken the skids off, and there is no residue in the engine area. I'm thinking it is a axle seal. Gear oil is usually green, correct?

If gear oil, smell is quit nasty, and you should find wet area around seals, fill or drain plugs of differential. Take pictures of where front drive shaft enters differential and any area you see wet. The more pictures the better, you can study, zoom and compare before and after. Then spray with degreaser and power wash. Keep #1 & #2 shielding off, and inspect before and after each days drive. Remember fluids will travel from front to back and down.

Some coolant are green, they'll all have a sweet smell.

Good idea about the pics and degreaser. I'll get some pics tomorrow.

It definitely smells like gear oil. I have the toyota pink antifreeze, so I'm pretty sure it's not coolant. I wasn't sure if maybe it could be the rack and pinon.

Rack and pinion (power steering) is Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) which smell bad, but is usually red and is a lite oil.

Gear lube is thick and will often appear green. I hate the smell of gear lube, stinks up the garage for days.

If you've seen a good amount (table spoon) on ground you may want to check differential fluid level. You can usually see a drip on the ground and one right below drive shaft seal after parked for the night. It's necessary to change gasket (washer) of drain & fill plug ever time they're removed. But until your done fixing leak I'd keep old washers in, then flush and change washer when done resealing, assuming it's gear lube.

Old post but here's my 2 cents for oil leaks in general. Always start at the top. Oil has a talent of following cracks and contours on its way down to your garage floor that can throw off your diag. If your valve covers leaking, don't replace your oil pan gasket first. Always start high, clean and recheck.

X2^ and take off skid plates for a better view

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom