Help! inconsistent Vibration at 65mph (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok here is the deal '01 lx 470 with the ome lift. I have a pretty bad vibration that starts around 60-65mph. The thing is it comes and goes. The thing is I did 3 things all at the same time getting ready for hih. I got new tires bfg ko2, rebuilt the front cv axles, and lowered the front torsion bars because they were set way to high and stiff and I was ripping Cv boots. I've had the tires balanced 3 times now because I was pretty sure it was the tires at first. The dealer even replaced one tire thinking it might be the problem. I have had the truck aligned 2 times now and replaced the steering rack and I still have the vibration. I did lose the painted mating marks while rebuilding the cv axels. Could this be my issues? Has anyone else lost the mating marks while rebuilding the cv axle and the result was vibration? Or could the axels been run to much at an extreme angle with the tb's cranked that when I lowered it down the axels are just worn out and caused the vibration? I was running worn out nitto trail grapplers with ripped cv boots and stiff suspension and my ride was smooth at interstate speeds. I am about to go crazy because of all this new stuff and the truck still shakes. Any advice? I have greased both driveshafts. My next idea is to take the front driveshaft off and see what happens. And next raise the tb's to see if that changes anything. Thanks for any help!

What do you mean by inconsistent? Does the vibration appear under load only? Or while coasting but at different speeds?

where do you feel the vibration when driving? Do you feel it everywhere or do you feel it on your butt? If it's your butt, it's a problem in the rear of the vehicle.

dont throw anymore money at it until you get checked out

How old are your brakes? My wife's car did the same thing until I put new pads and rotors all the way around, it was time for brake service so just replaced them all...some pads wore unevenly

Well it was strange at first I would get up to 65 and it would shake and then it would all of a sudden go away and I would think it was riding pretty smooth. Even under coasting or accelerating. It was just gone. Sometimes it would ride smooth for 30 minutes or more. Then it would all a sudden come back. There was no consistency with coasting or accelerating. Now it seems it is there all the time at 60-65mph. It doesn't go away anymore. It seems as it is on my butt, but the whole thing shakes. The rear tires do seem to have a lot of balance weight on them. I do know it needs new rear brake pads. It needs new front rotors. The rear brakes pads just started squealing during braking and I just noticed the front shimmy while braking so it needs new front rotors too. I've got to do brakes so I guess I'll do those and see what happens.

If the vibration started right after you did the axle work, my bet is on the CV joints. If not, then check for u-joint problems by pulling the front, then the rear, driveshafts. And of course do the brakes anyway since that has to be done.

Thanks for the help guys. I don't feel any play in the driveshafts if I twist on them by hand and pull on them. They both seem very tight. This is the second time I have rebuilt the cv axels to replace the boots. The first time everything went smooth. This time I lost my painted match marks on one of the axels. I thought I got it back right or close. I wouldn't think this would cause the problem but you might be right sandroad.

Might be your cv axles since you had them out and rebuilt them and missed the match marks. Have you checked the wheel bearings for play,& correct preload?

I guess the axles are ruined now because there is probably no way of getting them back correctly if that is the issue. Just wondering if anyone else has lost the match marks and the resulting issue?? I'll check bearings and preload. I think that is all good and hopefully my allignment shop would have caught that if there was a bearing issue.

x2 on the CV's

I removed my front driveshaft over the weekend and I still have the vibration. What kind of information does this tell me? Other than it's not the front driveshaft? Does the DS removal tell me it could still be an issue with the cv axels or front end or not? Any help appreciated.

That only rules out the driveshaft. The CVs still spin.

Ok another question before I buy new cv axels. When I bought the rig at 130,000 it had one blown Cv boot. Shortly after the other one ripped on the other side. I then rebuilt both axels at around 139,000. The truck rode smooth at interstate speed. These lasted until around 166,000 and they ripped again. It was at that point that I discovered that the hub to fender measurement was supposed to be around 20.5". If I remember right mine were set at 23"+ by the PO. I then rebuilt the axels again (when I lost the match marks), and I lowered the TB's so that the hub to fender measured 20.5". So my question is could the cv axels have just been worn out because of the extreme 23" measurement and when I lowered them down they caused the vibration? I'm trying to figure things out before I throw $1000 at new axels.

Yes that is very likely. Those cvs were run at an extreme angle and could have worn in at that angle. When you changed the cv angle again the cv no longer rides in that wear pattern that it was at when you were 23". This has caused vibration issues for many users, but it's usually due to going from stock to lifted height. I definitely think it's the CVs.

Sorry you're chasing this.

One thing to keep in mind....unbalanced tires at 65mph will cause more of a "wobbly" type shake in the seats or steering wheel or both. A driveline vibration at 65 mph will be more of an unmistakable vibration, one that doesn't necessarily feel wobbly (low speeds maybe) but more vibration, almost a humming/droning noise/feel.

Good luck!!

Thanks so much! Definitely in the seat and steering wheel. Lots of weight on both back tires

This may help. If you feel it in your seat its in the front somewhere. If you feel it in your butt the problem is in the rear of the vehicle.

Diagnosing Tire Pull

It's likely related to what you just changed (CVs) but i'd also rule out things like a sticky brake caliper piston, which could cause some super annoying vibration at highway speed, and also some degree of intermittence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom