Barn Rebuild: The family heirloom (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The acc terminal is like the ign one but will switch off whilst you crank the motor, it's to reduce the load on the battery while starting but as there is very little load anyway you don't need it.
The indicator switch won't care which bulb is connected to each pin ;)
I can't help with cable routing, all mine are too new!

It has been a long time since I updated this. I have been working with any rare free time I get on little things here and there.
20160709_133230.jpg

I have the cooling system holding pressure, so I filled it with 30/70 coolant/water mix. I'd doesn't get that cold here. Yes, I used distilled water. I'm not sure everyone knows that distilled water helps ensure your cooling system won't corrode.

20160615_141108.jpg

Ignition system is put together. I need to set the gap on the points. Before doing this, I filled the oil pan and ran the oil pump with a drill. Oil moves around where it is supposed to, so that's good.

20160615_141058.jpg

I got my manifolds to mount using a remflex gasket and put the carburetor on. Hopefully, I rebuilt the carb correctly, some of the technical drawings in the FSM I have were grainy. I still need to find the gasket that goes between the carb and the air cleaner. The Toyota part was recently discontinued.

20160610_143316.jpg

I dropped off some parts for sand blasting. They came back cleaned up with all the rust damage exposed. My biggest damage is at the bottom of the windshield frame.

My biggest concern, in terms of fixing it right and having something presentable is in the hardtop sides.
20160709_215238.jpg
20160709_215225.jpg

Also, I have to basically rebuild the rear header panel for the hardtop hatch. That was rusted so badly I chose not to send it to the blaster.

I restored a few emblems and reflectors, and ordered new emblems where restoring wasn't a sensible option.
20160604_072908.jpg
20160616_195932.jpg

At some point, I'm sure I'll be told which parts I'm painting wrong colors. The reflectors are supposed to be yellow zinc, but I just painted them with duplicolor "stainless steel" paint. That was the closest I could find to the color that matches the pewter-colored paint I found in nooks/crannies of trim pieces. I painted the 4wd emblem with white paint, since I already had it, and didn't want to buy cream colored paint just for one emblem.

I haven't been here in forever. Here's the current status:

20160925_110829_HDR.jpg

It drives, stops and turns. All lights work, but I haven't done the barn doors, and have no license light yet. That, and seat belts, are the primary things that will keep this from passing safety inspection in TX. I only need WS wipers if the vehicle is equipped with a windshield.

Eventually, of course, the WS and hardtop are planned. I have some rust repairs to do before I can paint that stuff.

Engine runs great, but idles too rich. I have the idle mixture screw all the way in, and I think I may have so much vacuum pulling gas through the primaries that it idles rich. I don't know what else will fix this. Maybe I rebuilt the carb incorrectly.

Anyway, new emblems in some spots, clean, but old emblems in others. Driver seat is from a '72. I'm leaning towards fabbing some brackets and installing grey vinyl buckets, since this is not a true restoration.

An FYI the SS spray paint I have also used in the past ... If you can give them a coating of a clear coat that will help them last longer ... I do gave a feeling your not going to be outside 24/7 DDing it like mine however lol

Great looking so far!!!

Excellent job

Looking great-I like the color

What a nice project!

:)

Great color is that Nebula Green??

Looks like Spring Green

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom