Comet needed valve stem seals but got a complete refresh. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice schedule to include family time. Don't get much of that lately. Reading everything I can get my hands on, including multiple times through the FSM for pulling the engine. Never done that before. I will update as progress and time permit.

Good thing is you will have your parts for Friday.

:)

Very nice schedule to include family time. Don't get much of that lately. Reading everything I can get my hands on, including multiple times through the FSM for pulling the engine. Never done that before. I will update as progress and time permit.

Back when I used to travel weekly, this was a typical schedule for large projects for me. No reason why it has to consume your weekend time and it should also be an enjoyable process at the same time.

Plenty of resources here so use them as needed. Beno is the man for parts and not too far from you.

* updated my original post to include more items*

Last edited:
Beno is the man. Resources to help are nice. Thanks gentleman.

please post pictures of your progress!!!

Will do. The pics will help put it back together.

so i have gotten to the drive flange hub nuts. red loctite. Heat and banging or can i use a penetrating oil over night? Geeze, this has turned into an ordeal. Fun but slow progress.

IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG
IMG_5406.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG

IMG_5533.JPG

Last edited:
IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG
IMG_5536.JPG
IMG_5537.JPG

So I have made a little progress. Following the FSM (encased in plastic sleeves), I have managed to get as far as the front and rear propeller shafts. The nuts and bolts have given me a fit. I think there's red loc-tite on the nuts and bolts so a little heat is probably in order. I was able to move one out of the eight nuts. The four bolts on the transfer case shifter will not budge. I'm hoping to get more leverage on them when I drop the engine and transmission, right before removal. My catalytic converters are welded together and not bolted. Is it necessary to remove them or can I just disconnect at the Y-pipe? Slowly making progress, hopefully I can keep this going......

Did you remember to break the harmonic balancer/crank bolt before you removed the battery and unbolted engine mounts?

was just reading up on that, no I didn't. Battery will go back in. will it work with all the electronics removed from the truck or do I just jump the starter and pray?

The prop shaft hardware does have a green loctite compound on them from the factory. If this was the first time they've been handled, I'm not surprised they're giving you fits! FWIW, I use these wrenches when working on these hardware: 8 Pc SAE Offset Box Wrench Set I highly recommend getting a set of the offset box end wrench set with six points, not 12 points, metric of course.

It's easy to round off the prop shaft hardware so go easy here. I don't use sockets for this application, rather, a box/open end wrench on the bolt head and a 14mm offset box end wrench ( with six points) on the nut.

Shafts removed, transmission bolts loosened. alia176, the green loctite was there. WIth 340K miles, I am amazed what great shape the u-joints are in. I ended up using a 345lb. electric impact gun with a regular socket (small shaft so it fit in there). THe offset wrenches look like a great alternative to put them back on. Now, on to the motor mounts and a 2 ton lift for next weekend. WTF was a :banana::banana: shade tree mechanic thinking by tearing into this! Everywhere I look, I see more opportunities to fund what ever BENO wants to do with his life. Too bad CDan's dogs are getting fed by the museum profits now!

Luckily I'm honest and my profits are for beer and pot and more Toyota part numbers.

I have no wife or kids or mortgage to finance. :)

I'm a simple sonofabitch.

Everyone who knows me personally will confirm this.

Glad to see some progress here. :cheers:

Beno, simple is good and the expenses you listed above are necessary. Progress is slow, like the owner of this cruiser.....slow! I will be in touch for bearings and incidentals for the bottom end. Thanks man!

Engine hoist I can rent is rated at 1200 pounds. Just want to make sure with you guys before I pick it up tomorrow morning. Pulling engine, transmission and transfer case as one unit. I have the one ton come along to jockey the transfer case at the end.

Progress from October to now.
IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5603.JPG
IMG_5583.JPG

Without pictures, this would be BORING. Made a custom "Steel Pigeon" to break the crank shaft nut. Threw out my back on that one.

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_5740.JPG

IMG_5746.JPG

Soaked all the cylinders with oil so it would be easier to clean. No indication of head gasket failure. Well, how did he jump in the trunk of my beater?
IMG_5765.JPG
IMG_5772.JPG
IMG_5850.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom