Anything special about "expedition" fridges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For those, like myself, that live in - I'll call them - remote rural areas, the expedition fridge has added value - beyond camping and overlanding. For me, it's a 3 hr drive to the nearest Costco or Wal-Mart type of shopping or 1.5 hrs to a Safeway or Albertsons. And local grocery prices are considerably higher than most folks take for granted. So I'll make "stock up" trips occasionally. Refridgerated and frozen items can be kept in - you guessed it - the "Ex-box" in the back of my 80 for the trip home and I have no worries or rush to get home. Sooooo - I think that's pretty special about my expedition fridge.... :hillbilly:

For those, like myself, that live in - I'll call them - remote rural areas, the expedition fridge has added value - beyond camping and overlanding. For me, it's a 3 hr drive to the nearest Costco or Wal-Mart type of shopping or 1.5 hrs to a Safeway or Albertsons. And local grocery prices are considerably higher than most folks take for granted. So I'll make "stock up" trips occasionally. Refridgerated and frozen items can be kept in - you guessed it - the "Ex-box" in the back of my 80 for the trip home and I have no worries or rush to get home. Sooooo - I think that's pretty special about my expedition fridge.... :hillbilly:

That's the primary use for our fridges. I'd like to say I spend more time outdoors, but it's probably only 1 camping / wheeling trip per month on average. Wife does most of the food shopping, she's able to go to the different stores she likes, then go do other things before returning. I'd say it's paid for itself considering the amount of ice we bought in the past for trips. I just put beer and water in mine :)

In case anyone is interested in seeing my new National Luna Weekender 50 fridge, here is the link from my build thread.
Just got done with the install a little while ago.

A few mods from 7-25-06

5.jpg

In case anyone is interested in seeing my new National Luna Weekender 50 fridge, here is the link from my build thread.
Just got done with the install a little while ago.......
Looks great! You mounted it with the same NL mount that I used with my NL 50. So much better than tie downs that I see other brands use. Your handles are different, though. Got mine in 2012. Pic shows mount & handle:
IMG_0798.JPG

Looks great! You mounted it with the same NL mount that I used with my NL 50. So much better than tie downs that I see other brands use. Your handles are different, though. Got mine in 2012. Pic shows mount & handle:
Thanks Tom.
I emailed Paul about the handles, and he said it was brand new for the latest models, and he needed to update his site with the info.
They went to this handle as it has a slot on the side closest to the fridge, and the slot is for you to thread a strap through it, hence no need to wrap a strap over the handle like in the past.

I agree, much more sanitary looking using the plate instead of tie-downs.

My EdgeStar has held up pretty darn good

KIMG0030_zpslakyrpht.jpg

@80t0ylc @Corey
What NL mounts did you use?

I got a 90l NL and wondering about these mounts...

TIA

@80t0ylc @Corey
What NL mounts did you use?

I got a 90l NL and wondering about these mounts...

TIA

Try this site and scroll down to your model. Looks like NLRBP74 is the part you want. Be careful, though. This is an Austrailian site. All the other NL sites were flagged as bad by my Norton Internet Security. Hopefully you can find a cheaper source. I got mine through Columbia Overland back in 2012 for about $80 - shows as $159 on this site now. Now they don't carry NL, just Engel. Go figure :(

^^^ thanks for the comeback....
I'll check out the website and hunt one down...
I also drop Equipt1 an email... helps to have a part #.

:beer::beer:

EDIT: I just checked equipt1 website and it looks like they carry them

Last edited:
^^^ thanks for the comeback....
I'll check out the website and hunt one down...
I also drop Equipt1 an email... helps to have a part #.

:beer::beer:

EDIT: I just checked equipt1 website and it looks like they carry them
Yes, Paul May should be able to get you anything for National Luna.
I had the link to mine in my build thread.
And, Paul ships very fast!

I only have one thing to add and that is I love a "dumb" fridge, meaning I don't want it to have a CPU inside deciding when to shut down in order to preserve the battery. Consequently, I still have an older Engel fridge with a dial knob controlling a swing compressor. Yup, analog control still rules my world, just like my watch. The fridge will run until the battery is dead and that's what I want. We all have dual batts, second batt, a buddy, solar charger, etc. if we need some battery help. It doesn't care if the wiring gauge is not optimal, cig lighter finicky, etc. It's a dumb fridge, sort of like my dumb 80 series. Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom