Drive Shafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David70FJ40

Older Than Most
Threads
This post is a little premature but it might be helpful to someone so I thought I would go ahead.

I installed, rather I had a lot of help, installing a new H55 with a split case TC into my 40. The fit was rather tight but fit it did. One last hurdle in the installation were the drive shafts. The rear shaft had to be shortened and the front shaft had to be lengthened and I wanted to have the job done locally. So I went to a local heavy duty shop that specializes in drive shafts for heavy duty vehicles, 5 weeks later I was no closer. I located another shop in a town 25 miles away and tried them. They could make two new shafts, their cost was estimated to be over $900. Remembering an ad I saw in Toyota Trails, I contacted Tom Wood's Drive Shafts.

Speaking with Josh was a pleasure. No high pressure, no why didn't you call us first, just good straight talk, like I was talking with an old friend. I measured the flanges 5 or 6 times just to double check, I surely didn't want something to arrive that wouldn't fit due to my mistake. Josh assured me they would ship the NEXT DAY. The next day I received the UPS tracking numbers and the delivery date. I received the invoice today and the measurements match a 4th design flange so my measurements must be pretty good. The front shaft is a straight shaft, what they call a Type B; the rear is a Type A double cardan due to the short length. Total for the two is $678.00, free shipping and Josh waived their $20 packing fee because I am a TLCA member.

I am still two days away from delivery and I am still a little worried about my measurements but I can speak highly of Tom Wood's Drive Shafts and the excellent customer service I received.

I know, I know, no photos or it didn't happen. Once they arrive I will post photos.

The drive shafts arrived Friday while I was out of town. The fit to the flanges is perfect and they look terrific. Money well spent I believe. As for service, Tom Wood's Drive Shafts gets my vote. I will be driving be early next week.

Drive Shafts.JPG

. . . the rear is a Type A double cardan due to the short length. . . .

Not to be too critical here but according to the picture the rear is only a single cardigan if I'm seeing things correctly.

The shop that shortened my rear shaft after the NV4500 install just used the standard U-joints and connectors. So far no problems on the street but I haven't had it out for any serious off road excursions yet.

The rear is a double cardan. During the phone call with Tom Wood's Drive Shafts, they suggested that type and I deferred to the experts. I have to trust them, my drive shaft knowledge is highly limited.

It's a double cardan rear. I am curious what your rear DS length ended up being?

The rear length is 18 1/2". I measured in the air with no weight on the wheels and again when it was on the ground. It was the short length that the double cardan joint was recommended. (I didn't have the angles measured)

To illustrate the difference, here is a photo of the 4 speed installed with the stock 3 speed TC.

IMG_0516.JPG

Here is a photo of the new H55 installed with a rebuilt split case TC. There is a noticeable difference in the overall length of the assembled unit.

IMG_0516A.JPG

Yes I had a hose made to equalize the grease levels in the tranny and TC just to be safe. Just had a friend have to replace his TC after it lost its grease.

I am looking forward to driving it again and seeing what kind of a difference a new H55 will make with the overdrive 5th gear.

The rear is a double cardan. During the phone call with Tom Wood's Drive Shafts, they suggested that type and I deferred to the experts. I have to trust them, my drive shaft knowledge is highly limited.

I stand corrected, I thought it meant two cardan joints but is really just the 2 u joints joined to an intermediate shaft. Hopefully you won't experience any high speed vibration from it once installed.

Installed the drive shafts today and I am impressed with the quality of the shafts. They fit like a stock from the factory unit and they look good. I installed new nuts and bolts with plenty of thread locker, filled the tranny and TC with grease and was able to drive it for the first time in 6 weeks. I should have called Tom Wood's Drive Shafts 5 weeks ago.

Drive Shafts 1.JPG
Drive Shafts 2.JPG

Snip...... filled the tranny and TC with grease......Snip
David, I know it's just a matter of semantics, but please tell me you actually used gear oil...?:p Looking forward to seeing it move soon!

LOL :rolleyes: Red Line oil as recommended by Rice. 6 1/2 quarts for both.

The only thing I wasn't expecting was the disc parking brake was thick and there wasn't enough threads left on the studs to tighten and make me feel safe. I will have to make a parking brake in one of the rear brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom