What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One more. I recommend everyone get tyre attendant for all your pressure dropping and checking needs.
YH8Gtrz.jpg

in75PpZ.jpg

If only that valve stem were at 6:00 instead of 11:00 :hmm:

[QUOTE="LandCruiserPhil,

---- Phil, how do you like the Kenwood 281?

J[/QUOTE]

I dont know a lot about HAM but as a licensed operator I do know its 100X better than any CB. I choose the Kenwood because it fit in the DIN slot and has a loud speaker mounted in the face for excellent clarity. Works great now that my antenna is mounted in a proper location.:rolleyes: Other local guys have installed the same radio without any complains.

Looking for better cell reception and DL speeds when out traveling
Installed a WEboost cell phone amplifier cradle and antenna that does work:clap:
Cell phone booster Ya or Nay

View attachment 1326739
One of the 4x4 mags did a install and test on one of them last year (?) I believe. They said that they actually DO work! Before install they drove an off road area where they lost about every call they made, then after the install they did same course, and didn't drop any calls. Took their reception from 0-1 bar and jumped it to 3-4 bars (4 being best). This "kit" was a hard wired deal, about the size of car radio, and they mounted it under the seat.So.......... good luck!

One of the 4x4 mags did a install and test on one of them last year (?) I believe. They said that they actually DO work! Before install they drove an off road area where they lost about every call they made, then after the install they did same course, and didn't drop any calls. Took their reception from 0-1 bar and jumped it to 3-4 bars (4 being best). This "kit" was a hard wired deal, about the size of car radio, and they mounted it under the seat.So.......... good luck!

My model is the slimmed down version for one phone at <1/2 the price. The tech said it will perform the same as the whole truck models just for one phone only. They did say many EMS, Police, and fire vehicles use them:meh:

My model is the slimmed down version for one phone at <1/2 the price. The tech said it will perform the same as the whole truck models just for one phone only. They did say many EMS, Police, and fire vehicles use them:meh:

Yea...I do remember them saying that the majority of "public service" vehicles run them now..... enjoy!

Has anyone tried this in the Joshua Tree or Death Valley areas?

The units amplify signal they can not bring it in as it was told to me. I have also been told the reason you cannot reach any ham repeaters in Death Valley is due to the area being below sea level.
There is Ham repeater coverage in Joshua Tree but I dont know if the towers has phone patch.

The units amplify signal they can not bring it in as it was told to me. I have also been told the reason you cannot reach any ham repeaters in Death Valley is due to the area being below sea level.
There is Ham repeater coverage in Joshua Tree but I dont know if the towers has phone patch.
The repeaters in JT don't have phone patch that I know of. I regularly monitor them and the national simplex 2m and 70 cm bands when I'm out there. But due to the bowl effects of the terrain in JT and DV I'm not surprised of the limited comms available. I haven't installed HF in the truck yet but might just to see what I hear out there.

For all those traveling to extreme remote locations, get a sat phone and use SPOT lto keep into with your loved ones.

The repeaters in JT don't have phone patch that I know of. I regularly monitor them and the national simplex 2m and 70 cm bands when I'm out there. But due to the bowl effects of the terrain in JT and DV I'm not surprised of the limited comms available. I haven't installed HF in the truck yet but might just to see what I hear out there.

For all those traveling to extreme remote locations, get a sat phone and use SPOT lto keep into with your loved ones.

Im no expert but I travel with a guy who is top notch with HAM. Using a ghetto di-pole? antenna and a HF mobile he talked all over the world from the middle of nowhere. My guess is with HF not being line of sight you can talk from anywhere.

Im no expert but I travel with a guy who is top notch with HAM. Using a ghetto di-pole? antenna and a HF mobile he talked all over the world from the middle of nowhere. My guess is with HF not being line of sight you can talk from anywhere.
I'm am satellite/wide band/computer communications operator by trade, so I geek out over comm stuff when ever it comes up.

Been using handheld prs for a while but there no good in when terrain gets hilly and full of trees
So finally brought a decent in cab
Heard good things about the gme so went with one of those with everything in hand piece.
Keeps the cab clutter free too which I like

No pictures this time but I came out to the truck only to find the drivers' rear view mirror completely loose.:mad:

I tore it apart and found that the shoulders on the center shaft of the pivot point had finally given way to 22 years of pressure from the spring.

What I did was rotate the shaft and file in new and hopefully bulkier shoulders that the retainer clip could slide onto. This part was easy.

Compressing the spring while keeping the washer on was next to impossible, let alone weasling in the retaining clip on top. So I wrestled stubbornly with my bench vise and c-clamps for an hour or more until I gave in and welded the washer to the spring. This made life much easier.

From there it was much easier to compress the spring and washer to get the pin in.

So far so good, wishing I was more disciplined about taking photos but here we are...

Yep, I don't envy your sandbag filling. I must say though that you were moving at a pretty good clip to be doing a sandbag every 20 seconds. Having been a professional sandbag filler for 8 years that is an unheard of pace. Hope it all turns out well and everyone and their home are safe.

We have sandbagging "stations". Two barricades with traffic cones flipped upside down. They are much more efficient than someone holding a bag open. I'm heading back to sandbag now. I'll snap a pic.

We moved 5 houses today. Five complete houses of contents in 10 hrs. 8 people. I'm on hour 14 on the day. Racing against the clock...

And my 80 hauled me, my son, and at times 4-5 other teenagers. And kept my water and Gatorade frosty!

I always have things in the works....:grinpimp:
I should have my demo set of 75mm Flexi-Coils from King Coil in the next 3 weeks with 45mm bore 9 stage adjustable shocks.
J
Lots to the word "active". @retrofive has dibs if he wants the trial set.

Jason
Are those the FLEXI coils from AUS or are these manufacturered in the USA by KING Shocks. @Delancy had the PROGRESSIVE ones from AUS & had some problems with them.

Progressive & Dual Rate are very different from each other.

Are those the FLEXI coils from AUS or are these manufacturered in the USA by KING Shocks. @Delancy had the PROGRESSIVE ones from AUS & had some problems with them.

IIRC the progressives where made for or by Dobinson and when I first inquired about an extended travel lift spring I was told the Dobinson springs were basically junk. They tested several sets and they lost up to 30% of their lift within a very short period.

King Coil in AUS is the manufacturer and he didn't have these. They are just now being made. I will have the first set and they are dual rate.

J

King shocks do not manufacture springs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom