Tundra wheels/rims on a 1994 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got a sweet deal on 4 taco/4R rims

Hopefully the picture shows up. The are 17 inches which allow great tire option especially since i have 4 new tires being given to me for free.

It has been killed on the forum but please let me know how to fix. I believe 1994's with disc brakes on all corners are still lug centric due to me cone shaped nuts. But these rims have hub centric lugs and a hub centric spacer.

How do I make them work?

00m0m_aRq6WxaIspo_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
1: those are not from a tundra they are Taco/4R wheels.

2: You should not need any spacers to use them on a FZJ, though the back spacing will make your track width a bit narrower than with 80 wheels. A 1" spacer should put them right back to factory 80 wheel backspace

3: You cant run hubcentric spacers on the front axle of the 80. T

4: To assure that you have your wheels centered on non hubcentric spacers, take 3 of you acorn nuts and install them, 1st at about 30ish ft/lbs. Then install 3 of your correct lugs for these wheels to something close to proper torque, remove the acorn nuts, and put the other 3 correct nuts on and there you have it. Yes its an extra step but it keep things correct so long as you do it every single time you take a wheel off......

I am not a expert I may have overlooked something since you have a 94 and I know the 95-97 stuff a little better

I agree that those are not tundra wheels. As far as I know tundra's are 5 lug. I'm not sure I would mess with a hub centric wheel and wheel spacers on my 80. Seems sketchy to me.

^
Lots of 80's running taco/4R wheels, on nonhubcentic spacers my self included (that same wheel infact) IIRC the 1st gen tundras and Sequoia's were 6 lug, several 80' I know of running variations of those as well. Yes you have a couple more things to check when you pull a wheel off when running spacers, but tis not that big of a deal.....

I agree that those are not tundra wheels. As far as I know tundra's are 5 lug. I'm not sure I would mess with a hub centric wheel and wheel spacers on my 80. Seems sketchy to me.

Agreed. 4rnner/fjc wheel

2008 and newer may be 5 lug but ive run plenty of sets of tundra/sequoia 6 lug wheels over the yeara. 4 sets actually.

Granted I have a 95 but have run the wheels with and without spacers for 1000's of miles each way with no issue.
image.jpeg

I wish I could have wheels that nice. The granite boulders out here would mar those up quickly. My stockers have chunks missing.
Agreed. 4rnner/fjc wheel

2008 and newer may be 5 lug but ive run plenty of sets of tundra/sequoia 6 lug wheels over the yeara. 4 sets actually.

Granted I have a 95 but have run the wheels with and without spacers for 1000's of miles each way with no issue.
View attachment 1326385

I wish I could have wheels that nice. The granite boulders out here would mar those up quickly. My stockers have chunks missing.

Notice ive run 4 sets ;)

Back to stock wheels here too. The deep dish keeps out of the rocks a little better for sure.

Sold by east coast gear supply.
Probably manufactured by another group.

Spydertrax is a well know reputible source as well if thats what you are after.

Actually never ran spacers on the 80.

Ran them on the 45 for the same wheel/tire setup. 1.25" but would choose 1" for the 80 for that wheel's backspacing.

1: those are not from a tundra they are Taco/4R wheels.

2: You should not need any spacers to use them on a FZJ, though the back spacing will make your track width a bit narrower than with 80 wheels. A 1" spacer should put them right back to factory 80 wheel backspace

3: You cant run hubcentric spacers on the front axle of the 80. T

4: To assure that you have your wheels centered on non hubcentric spacers, take 3 of you acorn nuts and install them, 1st at about 30ish ft/lbs. Then install 3 of your correct lugs for these wheels to something close to proper torque, remove the acorn nuts, and put the other 3 correct nuts on and there you have it. Yes its an extra step but it keep things correct so long as you do it every single time you take a wheel off......

I am not a expert I may have overlooked something since you have a 94 and I know the 95-97 stuff a little better

The 1" spacer is about the same as running a .25" spacer on a factory wheel. Other than that, spot on.

These spacers aren't necessary if you're running tiny tires, but with 37s, they rub something fierce on the radius arms and the inner wheel wells in the rear, so best to space them out.

The hub centric vs lug centric is dependent of the wheels themselves. Those should be a flat washer type lug (hub centric), so go get some flat washer lug nuts and you'll be fine. Go with what @mrsleeve said for centering on the truck.

^
I dont plan on running anything more than a 2-3 inch lift and "maybe" 35's tops, I really like my 255/80's, but the rig came with the 1" spacers and the factory lugs cut down to fit so I am just rolling with it and as a bonus I really like visual aspect of the nearly stock track width an slightly narrower tire....

FWIW,

I tried to run those exact wheels with 315 tires on a 3rd gen 4runner (which has more backspacing stock than an 80) and they would not clear the UCA's even with 1.25" spacers. In other words, if they fit, they will make your stance more than 2.5" narrower compared to stock wheels (assuming same tire). That's my personal experience with those wheels. Be prepared to buy spacers.

Hub centric vs. lug centric, not a big deal. Just run the lug nuts that have the washer built in:

m14x1_5-lugs-jpg.386180

Might require more thought if you get spacers in the mix.

^

Its a good thing 80's dont have UCA's then huh ;)

Your right those wheels need the hubcentric lugs period, thats what they need, adding a spacer to the mix is not going to change that. Just that you need to use a couple Acorn nuts (lugcentirc) to get the wheel centered up 1st before you install the correct nuts, since you cant us hubcentirc spacers and the fact there is a slight difference in hub bore of the wheel and diameter of the hub flange.

IIRC from when I was reaching this, @SUMMIT CRUISERS Jr is running a set of 35x12.50-17 on the same spec but different style 4R/FJC wheels with no spacers on his 92, though I dont recall what his lift specs are.

Those are what you need

Agreed. 4rnner/fjc wheel

View attachment 1326385
Is the setup in this picture without spacers? I’m looking at these wheels/tires but wondering if I will for sure need spacers. TIA

Is the setup in this picture without spacers? I’m looking at these wheels/tires but wondering if I will for sure need spacers. TIA

That pic is without spacers. Those tires had a particularly tall/square profile and rubbed a little more than others. All avoidable with the right lift or bump stop. I had 10yr old lift and no bump drops so there was some contact. Not enough to to bind or cause concern. Spacers will just push the tire out into the fender lip unless you limit the up travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom