changed the valve cover gasket but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it just me or has anyone in here gone to the trouble and hassle to take great care not to ding, dent, score scrape the valve cover especially where the sparkplug tube gaskets are you feel confident thats everything is as it should be. you start running the expensive oil instead of topping off every 200 miles. now your half moons leak when they were never an issue before?

also has anyone after replacing the throttle body gasket ( the one that mates between the intake and the throttle body) as is part of the job of fixing the valve cover gasket leak only to now have a slight slight pinging problem that wasnt there before?

am I crazy?

Crazy? yes. Most of us are to some extent.

Should have done the half-moons. Super easy with a tube of RTV, especially when you are already in there that far.

Crap, I'm in there right now. I hadn't even thought about messimg with the half moons. I didn't know they were a problem, but I guess I'm not surprised with everything else I've replaced up to this point.

FIPG for the half moons.

FIPG for the half moons.

Yup - or the grey RTV used for 3rd member to axle shell install.

The expensive oil (like the 5-30 or 0-30 like some Hondas & BMW run) - are so good they drip oil in new motors, led BMW to up the recomended viscosity when the 0-40 Mobil 1 dripped & new BMW owners were hacked their new Bimmers were leaving oil slicks.

Judging by your pic, you live in the cold & maybe run thin oil?

No way I would replace my Valve Cover Gasket (just did this last week) and NOT do the half moons...whether they were leaking before or not. Mine had been in place for almost 20 years and while they didn't leak, it is SO simple to pull them, clean them up and reseal them. Then you KNOW they aren't going to leak (anytime soon).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom