Gauging interest in a new tailgate cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys - another material choice for those who don't want the pad would be stainless. Maybe around 14 gauge. Just an option for you to think about...

This just popped up... For those of you interested in a tailgate storage solution!

Tailgate Storage Lid 100 series

I bought one for my wife's 80 and it was the worst thing ever made, IMO... so that was the straw. Finally broke down and built one due to all the emails, PMs and inquiries. I've sent a few guys here that want a composite or soft cover.

Just another material to look as well:

Seaboard Grip-X

Jason

I bought one for my wife's 80 and it was the worst thing ever made, IMO... so that was the straw. Finally broke down and built one due to all the emails, PMs and inquiries. I've sent a few guys here that want a composite or soft cover.

Just another material to look as well:

Seaboard Grip-X

Jason
Thanks Jason!

I'd be interested in something easier to keep clean than HDPE. You can add me to the list.

FWIW I've currently got a homemade HDPE tailgate lid, and what has worked really well for mounting it are rubber-sleeved expansion nuts in the trim clip holes. Still sturdy and rattle free after +5yrs.

I'd be interested in something easier to keep clean than HDPE. You can add me to the list.

FWIW I've currently got a homemade HDPE tailgate lid, and what has worked really well for mounting it are rubber-sleeved expansion nuts in the trim clip holes. Still sturdy and rattle free after +5yrs.
Thank you. Yes, they are called well nuts. They're on the short list of fasteners to test.

I agree that HDPE is not all it's cracked up to be, but I didn't think keeping it clean was an issue. Can you explain what kind of issue you're having in that regard?

Thank you. Yes, they are called well nuts. They're on the short list of fasteners to test.

I agree that HDPE is not all it's cracked up to be, but I didn't think keeping it clean was an issue. Can you explain what kind of issue you're having in that regard?

The white HDPE I used has a kind of rough surface and it is a bit of a dust magnet and requires more cleaning to not look disgusting. I initially thought it would be good to use as a cutting board/food prep but we end up using a cutting board on it anyway.

I suppose I could sand it, but with the softness of HDPE it would just scratch up again. I'm familiar with the material you're proposing and think that would be a better solution; thinner, more rigid, darker color, easier to wipe off, etc.

Interested in a hard surface for the rear tailgate. Optionally to have the carpet attach on top?
Pete

The white HDPE I used has a kind of rough surface and it is a bit of a dust magnet and requires more cleaning to not look disgusting. I initially thought it would be good to use as a cutting board/food prep but we end up using a cutting board on it anyway.

I suppose I could sand it, but with the softness of HDPE it would just scratch up again. I'm familiar with the material you're proposing and think that would be a better solution; thinner, more rigid, darker color, easier to wipe off, etc.
Gotcha.

Interested in a hard surface for the rear tailgate. Optionally to have the carpet attach on top?
Pete
Pete, I don't think the original carpet will be a design parameter for this particular build. However, I don't see why you couldn't attach it to the surface if you really wanted to. But I think once you see the options you won't want that old nasty carpet :)

I would probably lean toward the hard surface, but a seadeck type soft would have it's advantages too. Guess I am on the fence as to which one, but would like to get one or the other.

I am intrigued about the magnet attachment method (from a geek point of view), but is there any reason to have it removable? I have some rare earth magnets from old SCSI hard drives that would be tough to remove once stuck. You would probably have to build in an handle to unstick it, and you would have to have a serious glue for it to be stronger than the magnetic force.

I would probably lean toward the hard surface, but a seadeck type soft would have it's advantages too. Guess I am on the fence as to which one, but would like to get one or the other.

I am intrigued about the magnet attachment method (from a geek point of view), but is there any reason to have it removable? I have some rare earth magnets from old SCSI hard drives that would be tough to remove once stuck. You would probably have to build in an handle to unstick it, and you would have to have a serious glue for it to be stronger than the magnetic force.

The only real reason to make it with magnets would be for those that want a sort of hidden storage area. For items that you rarely access, it would be a handy thing to have. I'm sure I could figure out magnet attachment if that's what people want. They are available in all sizes and strengths, so I think it could be tuned to stay put but still easily removed.

Any progress on this?

Yes sir. I have run some CNC templates to get the hole layout down. I have hardware for testing and have finally received the Gatorstep dealer kit. I really like the colors, they should look great with the interiors. I still have to design the foam itself. Been busy with other things, but it's on the to-do list!

IMG_7621.JPG

IMG_7602.JPG

Awesome. Thanks for the update. Moving right along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom