80 Projects & Info (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice progress looking great bud (y)

Did you see this thread? FZJ80 6.5TD diesel swap build thread

After 9 years in the 80 I have to admit I rather wheel the automatic its less work but you can't go wrong with the NV4500 route either its just a preference. Nice work on the rear window rust. I had one little spot that developed on mine that started in the middle I sealed with silicone to hold back some of the rusting. The new owner took care of it first thing when he got it.

I'm going to run some silicone around the inside of the seal to make it last much longer.

Also, I think I've settled on the 4L80E. It is bullet proof, doesn't require new drive lines, and I already have everything but the adapter. First gear isn't as low as I want, but I can get 3.11 gears for the TC later down the road to compensate. I can do the part time conversion at the same time. I've heard complaints about the NV4500 being too much of a spread for a diesel making you run high RPMs before switching to the next gear. I would like this think to just lug along. I will do a manually torque converter lockup override for more control. I was about to do it on the Chevy anyway and already have the switch to do it. I was worried about the power robbing nature of the 4L80, but after reading some racing forums and seeing their testing, it is very negligible and I think well worth it for having something made to handle the torque.

BTW, the 6.5 I have is the 200hp version and I have turned it up. It should move the 80 nicely. I've had the truck that it is currently in for about 5 years and it has never given me any real trouble. It's currently moves a truck that is about 5900lbs and has little trouble when I put a 2000lb camper in the back of that truck and then hook up my car trailer behind it with the 4runner, tools, etc. People seem to hate the 6.5, but they love it in Australia. Mine is fully mechanical and the early block that is consider to be much stronger than the later engines with electronic controls.

Nice sounds like a good plan to me bud. I liked the 6.5 much improved over the 6.2 the knock I heard about it in the mechanic circles was it was never an engineered diesel just a modified 350 gasser to fit GM's needs during that time. It wasn't powerful but it seemed like I remember once you got a decent injection pump it was pretty reliable. With the information we have now on the turbos you should be able to build a pretty sweet setup. With the diesels we're after the torque anyway especially with the heavier platforms and from what I've seen in Roger and his son's rigs they work well on the trails in the 60's and 40's. His 62 would be comparable to the 80 in weight and it just idled along everywhere we went. It did look heavy with everything he had on it looked every bit 6500 - 7K.

Larry, from the history I've heard, there was a 5.7 liter diesel that was based on the 350. The 6.2 was a new design from Detroit when it was a subsidiary of GM. The 6.5 was further improvement upon it. The military still uses them today in the HMMWV. The rights were purchased to AM General when GM stopped making them. They still sell crate engines called the 6.5 Optimizer. They aren't cheap, but they are supposed to have addressed every issue the 6.2/6.5 ever had.

Most of the issues were related to the electronics in the later engines. Mine is mechanical. There's also problems with main bearing web cracks. I'm going to inspect this engine and install a girdle kit if things look alright. If they don't, it will probably throw a pretty big wrench in my plans and I would probably start looking for a 12v/NV4500 HD combo in a dying Ram.

Finally finished the rear bumper...

20160913_110113.jpg

20160913_110129.jpg

View attachment 1321099

View attachment 1321100

Last edited:
My birthday present from Nicole.

IMG_20160920_191913_zpsx0qdcxx7.jpg

Nice looking console bud.

Have you looked at trying a mini CAT for spoofing the O2 sensor?

<title>O2 Simulator Mini Cat Cel Fix best oxygen sensor simulator made. Simulator Mini Cat Big Daddies Garage

thanks for the reminder I didn't think to try it on the 80 but I raced a Mitsubishi Evo and used spark plug non-foulers for that same concept so it showed the sensor enough to keep it happy but wasn't getting the full doze to kick the cel on and put it in a limp. mode. Dorman Products 42008: Spark Plug Non-Foulers 14mm | JEGS

thanks for the reminder I didn't think to try it on the 80 but I raced a Mitsubishi Evo and used spark plug non-foulers for that same concept so it showed the sensor enough to keep it happy but wasn't getting the full doze to kick the cel on and put it in a limp. mode. Dorman Products 42008: Spark Plug Non-Foulers 14mm | JEGS

I've never tried fooling O2 Sensors before but I'm trying to learn my options so I can be ready when my exhaust needs replaced.

Sean @Footwork post up the pics and details of your TD suspension install. What most don't know they're not a new manufacturer just newly available in the states I think they offer a good product and another option to OME :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom