What is Disadvantage of Painting Outside Tub Smooth Bedliner ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the rust underneath these coatings can get pretty bad before you have visibility to it due to the thickness and strength of the coating. It's easier to see when rust is starting with just paint in my opinion. If you don't have a concern with rust forming then this probably isn't an issue for you.

Like it's been discussed, any paint job is only worth the prep. My rig is from Colorado, so I had a lot of "discovery" work to redo. Eastwood rust reformer is a must in my book.

Like it's been discussed, any paint job is only worth the prep. My rig is from Colorado, so I had a lot of "discovery" work to redo. Eastwood rust reformer is a must in my book.

Thanks, @warpdriv , for chiming-in. Your Freedom Fried rig is an attractive one (perhaps not to everyone, but I'd think to many - then again, what in life is actually attractive to everyone equally ?? :) ).

Would you mind to briefly share with us here your take on some of the simple concerns some of us here have brought to this thread regarding a finished paint job along the lines of yours ?

- what is your take on potential rust forming up underneath, that may form prior to your detecting it ? Are you confident enough with your previous prep work?
- have you contemplated needing to one day sell your Freedom Fried rig and perhaps became concerned about its resale value ? (for me, I'm wanting to forever keep mine... and I've now had mine for decades.)
- have people you've crossed out on the streets & trails made verbal note that your rig is now more impressive : or perhaps has lost its integrity ?
- is the Monstaliner coating truly doing the job you had anticipated it doing ? Has it so far exceeded your expectations : or has it fallen short ?

I concur about the Eastwood Rust Reformer - I too have made use of it in locations the grinder was not able to access - and then painted over it, once cured, with the company's Rust Encapsulator.

Thanks. Appreciate !!
Marc

Last edited:
I think the rust underneath these coatings can get pretty bad before you have visibility to it due to the thickness and strength of the coating. It's easier to see when rust is starting with just paint in my opinion. If you don't have a concern with rust forming then this probably isn't an issue for you.

@MOTOV8R : like yours, my '40 is also a '79, from March (being the more recent metal-type tub).
- Would not powder coating be of the same nature (preventing the visual observation of rust)?
- What about the Lizard Skin sound proofing & heat proofing product ? ... Of all things (because of very high floorboard heat I'd experienced previously, when driving her years & years ago), I was looking forward to coating both the inside and underside of the tub with Lizard Skin (based on the company's advice to coat both sides equally). And based on sooo many people, who've used the two Lizard Skin coatings, who seem to be universally pleased with how well the two coatings (one on top of the other) looks & functions. Would such a popular, non-bed liner product not be similar in concept - preventing one to fail to witness rust begin to form or grow (having been applied to both sides of the sheet metal - per company recommendation) ? (Simply asking...).

Again, I'm merely wanting to help prevent, or to lessen the clear coat on base/clear, or the tinted clear coat of a single stage - to become overly scratched. Once the trail ends, knowing myself, I'd likely continue to drive yet onward... provided NO cliff ... :)

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited:
Well if it's a trail vehicle, the other issue I see is if you come down on a tree or rock hard and crinkle or dent a quarter panel or something. It's going to be more difficult to straighten or weld in a patch panel.

I'll buy this, and do agree. I'd think though for any area of such body damage, that area of any type paint would need to be stripped, the body reworked, and then that entire area repainted. No?

Thanks,
Marc

@MOTOV8R : like yours, my '40 is also a '79, from March (being the more recent metal-type tub).
- Would not powder coating be of the same nature (preventing the visual observation of rust)?
- What about the Lizard Skin sound proofing & heat proofing product ? ... Of all things (because of very high floorboard heat I'd experienced previously, when driving her years & years ago), I was looking forward to coating both the inside and underside of the tub with Lizard Skin (based on the company's advice to coat both sides equally). And based on sooo many people, who've used the two Lizard Skin coatings, who seem to be universally pleased with how well the two coatings (one on top of the other) looks & functions. Would such a popular, non-bed liner product not be similar in concept - preventing one to fail to witness rust begin to form or grow (having been applied to both sides of the sheet metal - per company recommendation) ? (Simply asking...).

Again, I'm merely wanting to help prevent, or to lessen the clear coat on base/clear, or the tinted clear coat of a single stage - to become overly scratched. Once the trail ends, knowing myself, I'd likely continue to drive yet onward... provided NO cliff ... :)

Thanks,
Marc

Yeah those others have the same problem in my opinion. I am replacing what rust I can but I am not starting with a new tub so I want visibility. Just pointing out a case where covering up to well could be a problem. I also think that is why people think this stuff makes rust worse because they ended up being surprised by what is under it.

Errols FJ40 Build x4

I am just in the exact process you are describing...

Eg, wanting to paint the outside in raptor liner with a smooth texture for a durable finish.

We've had some issues along the way (will be detailed soon) but short answer is you should be able to get a fantastic finish which is durable and easy to fix.

I'll be posting a very detailed review including how to get the most from the product in about 3 weeks.

As for the whole rust issue, if the surface is prepared properly then it really shouldn't rust. To rust you need air and water, so if the surface is properly prepared I don't see how rust would form.
Cheers

I am going the rustoleum route. Primer, color, clear all in the rust prevention formula. I understand it won't be the nicest paint job, But touch up is easy and it will be helping to fight the rust demon. I will eliminate or convert what rust I can prior to paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom