Opinions on Dual Battery Systems (NL vs. IBS vs. T-Max vs. BlueSea, etc.) - Looking to get one soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a National Luna setup in my other vehicle and have been pretty happy with it. I've seen some issues reported over at Expo, but my only gripe is that it seems to draw quite a bit when not running for a while. If I don't drive the vehicle for more than a few days, I have to unplug the controller so that the car won't die.

I've seen a lot of the IBS setups and homemade BlueSea setups. I would like to have in cab controls of some kind. Doesn't have to be as fancy as NL or IBS. A simple battery switch and voltage displays would be good, which I've seen people here do on their 200s.

I just installed my second battery tray, so I need to figure out which setup to go with. I know many of you all have probably had a few setups and might have some opinions for or against a brand. I'm leaning towards NL because that's what I know, but I'd like to hear your input. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the IBS system in my 200. Very easy to install and thus far has worked very well. I looked at the BlueSea system as well and almost went that way.. I don't think you can go wrong either way..

I have the IBS. Had it in my 100 and moved it to my 200 series. Have had it for 5 years. It let me know when a battery wasnt up to snuff even when it still started the truck. I am very happy with it

Thanks for the recommendations. Do you all have to unplug the controller if not driving your vehicle for a while?

Nope. The lights stay lit for a few minutes and then shut off. I went to Australia for over 3 weeks and came back with no issues

since your in Denver happy to show you my setup. I bought it at Slee. You could go wheeling with some of the Colorado 200 owners Sunday if you want as well

since your in Denver happy to show you my setup. I bought it at Slee. You could go wheeling with some of the Colorado 200 owners Sunday if you want as well

I appreciate that. I'll PM you.

I went with the Blue Sea approach along with a battery level monitor to keep an eye on things. I think I went that direction because it was a bit cheaper but in hindsight I'm sure either approach would work just fine. The main purpose of the second battery is powering my ARB fridge but I also have HAM and an air compressor hooked up to it. I do have some draw on something even when the refrigerator isn't on... could be the battery monitor.

Question for those who have run dual setups on a 200 series: what batteries do you use?

I'm looking specifically for recommendation of a Group 31 (main) and Group 35 (secondary) battery. Exact part number/models would be super helpful, thanks.

I had DieHard Platinum in my previous vehicle for over a decade. Really liked them, but when I had to replace one recently, I went with X2Power from Batteries Plus. I understand they are rebadged Northstars and they have great warranties and national coverage through Batteries Plus. Don't have a long term review, but was thinking about them for the 200.

Anyone have the X2Power in their 200?

Got the X2Power as well. No complaints.

See few threads on the sticky section. Also search will return a few threads which will give you a lot of details.

I have a National Luna setup in my other vehicle and have been pretty happy with it. I've seen some issues reported over at Expo, but my only gripe is that it seems to draw quite a bit when not running for a while. If I don't drive the vehicle for more than a few days, I have to unplug the controller so that the car won't die.

I've seen a lot of the IBS setups and homemade BlueSea setups. I would like to have in cab controls of some kind. Doesn't have to be as fancy as NL or IBS. A simple battery switch and voltage displays would be good, which I've seen people here do on their 200s.

I just installed my second battery tray, so I need to figure out which setup to go with. I know many of you all have probably had a few setups and might have some opinions for or against a brand. I'm leaning towards NL because that's what I know, but I'd like to hear your input. Thanks.

I too needed to figure out which dual battery system to go with.

The IBS-DBR relay (14-800412) appears to have the same architecture and offer the same performance as the IBS-DBS system (except the DBS offers an in-cab monitor and has the option of a 30 min. or 2 hour link, whereas the DBR only offers a 30 min. link). Of course, if the external link switch is activated during the DBR's 30 min. manual link, the 30 min. link starts again.

The IBS-DBR relay is made for dual battery installations where in-cab feedback to the user is not needed. Moreover, there is no need to purchase the Relay Boost Module (RBM) to link the batteries with the IBS-DBR relay as the RBM function is integrated in the relay for a safe link start.

When comparing the price of the IBS-DBS system, including the optional Relay Boost Module (RBM) required for link starts, to the price of the IBS-DBR relay (Part: 14-800412) and required installation parts (including 2 AWG, 1 AWG or 0/1 AWG wire); I had to think how often the IBS in-cab monitor would actually be used.

Personally, I am interested in the performance of a dual battery system and do not think I need the feedback offered by the IBS in-cab monitor.

IBS-DBR (Dualbatt.-Relay) - IBS

http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBR_12V_e_1.pdf

If I find the need for in-cab feedback with the IBS-DBR relay, I can always add something like the Slee Dual Battery LED Indicator Circuit Board (Part: SOF1280) which allows for installation into any Toyota switch blank.

I really prefer something that can be installed into a Toyota switch blank vs. a monitor which has to be surface mounted somewhere/anywhere in the cab of my LC200.

Last edited:
CORRECTION:

The correct part number for the IBS-DBR relay is 14-800812.

The IBS-DBR relay (14-800412 14-800812) appears to have the same architecture and offer the same performance as the IBS-DBS system (except the DBS offers an in-cab monitor and has the option of a 30 min. or 2 hour link, whereas the DBR only offers a 30 min. link). Of course, if the external link switch is activated during the DBR's 30 min. manual link, the 30 min. link starts again.

The IBS-DBR relay is made for dual battery installations where in-cab feedback to the user is not needed. Moreover, there is no need to purchase the Relay Boost Module (RBM) to link the batteries with the IBS-DBR relay as the RBM function is integrated in the relay for a safe link start.

When comparing the price of the IBS-DBS system, including the optional Relay Boost Module (RBM) required for link starts, to the price of the IBS-DBR relay (Part: 14-800412 14-800812) and required installation parts (including 2 AWG, 1 AWG or 0/1 AWG wire); I had to think how often the IBS in-cab monitor would actually be used.

Personally, I was interested in the performance of a dual battery system and do not think I need the feedback offered by the IBS in-cab monitor.

IBS-DBR (Dualbatt.-Relay) - IBS

http://ibs-tech.ch/fileadmin/ibs-tech/pdf/Manuals_Pdf/English/IBS_DBR_12V_e_1.pdf

If I find the need for in-cab feedback with the IBS-DBR relay, I can always add something like the Slee Dual Battery LED Indicator Circuit Board (Part: SOF1280) which allows for installation into any Toyota switch blank.

I really preferred something that can be installed into a Toyota switch blank vs. a monitor which has to be surface mounted somewhere/anywhere in the cab of my LC200.

UPDATE:

IBS_DBR.jpg

IBS.

When the monitor is mounted where you aren't staring at it all the time...it's actually handy to have. Makes it easy to check any time you're running heavy use and are curious about charge on either battery...

This is the IBS monitor, mounted on the floor to the left of the driver's seat. Any time you want to check, you just push the red button and it shows the current status of each battery:
(This is looking in the open driver's door...step liner below...beginning of seat just above)
IMG_0029.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom