Cracking the stubborn relay rod ends loose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in a pinch and without a vice I got both relay rod ends busted loose.

I needed to replace my relay rod end links and I knew breaking the 20 years old end links loose might be a problem. So, with the steering rod stabilizer end of the relay rod still attached to the LC I used the biggest wrench in my tool box as a leverage bar on the passenger side to crack the installed (drivers side) loose. I bolted both clamps to the passenger side to keep it from breaking loose. With a little force I was able to unscrew the end.

With the drivers side unscrewed (old relay rod end still bolted to the Pittman arm) I screwed in the new relay rod end with the steering stabilizing eyelet. Now I had one new end and one the old passenger end that needed to be cracked and unscrewed.

To crack the passenger side I took off the front wheel of the truck which was off anyways because I needed more room for the pickle fork to get the drivers side old end link popped out of the Pittman arm.

I then bolted the eyelet of the steering stabilizer to the wheel hub, used a lug nut to tighten it down, cranked both clamps on the new installed end and again used a big wrench leverage to unscrew the old passenger side of the relay rod. Worked out really well for me, maybe it will help someone else out one day.

IMG_6087.JPG

IMG_6089.JPG

IMG_6094.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

Now that's "adapt and overcome" at it finest. Great job!

I discussed doing this same thing in a couple of the same posts. Unbolt one end and undo the clamp, then use a giant HF crescent wrench to undo one end, retread with a bit of oil, lock it down with the clamp and do the other end in same manner. Was the only thing that did it for me.

It's good to measure it first so you get it close to the right length and save time underneath the vehicle while doing the wheel alignment.

I just took mine off and put each end in the hot coals in the wood stove in the shop...... About 5 mins latter they turned out with ease lol

I just took mine off and put each end in the hot coals in the wood stove in the shop...... About 5 mins latter they turned out with ease lol

Are you a Blacksmith?

It's good to measure it first so you get it close to the right length and save time underneath the vehicle while doing the wheel alignment.

totally agree! I counted threads, measured and referenced the FSM... ended up taking it to the alignment shop the next morning anyways.

^

No but it gets cold in northern Montana in the Fall, Winter, and Spring (even summer sometimes) and rather than dig out the torch cart, or go searching for the mapp-gas canister, it was toss it in the stove keeping the shop warm.....

^

No but it gets cold in northern Montana in the Fall, Winter, and Spring (even summer sometimes) and rather than dig out the torch cart, or go searching for the mapp-gas canister, it was toss it in the stove keeping the shop warm.....

Nice, I live in Arizona maybe I should try just leaving it on the sidewalk next time Haha

Yeah that might work, I have family that have lived in the dirty T for 25+ years. There is a reason I dont live there, being able to cook my breakfast on the sidewalk at 5:30am is not conducive to a healthy life IMO.

Paint the new tie rod ends so they don't corrode also use little anti seize on the threads and they will come right out next time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom