Broke my front diff this weekend.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was doing some rock crawling @ dishpan springs in my 99 with stock rear e locker and Arb front locker. I got wedged in a really tough spot, I was high centered, and rocking back and forth, and then CLUNK! I know my 99 has a weak front diff, but I thought the ARB fixed that issue. As far as I can tell, the casing is not cracked. I called my diff shop and I can't get it in until next week because he is too busy. I plan to install 4:88, it was just out of my budget when I did the front locker, I am just wondering if this will be repairable or if the actual front diff housing and all will need to be replaced? I did have to drive it about 10 miles on fire road to get to a location where the tow truck can pick me up. When I got back to it this morning, there was a large puddle of diif fluid. It looks like it leaked out of the driver side axel entry? Maybe just a bad seal? I also am wondering if I may have damaged my transfercase? eek. Expectng the worst, hoping for the best. All feedback is muchly appricated!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Did you notice any grinding when you drove it the 10 miles out? I'm guessing, but maybe the side gears on the diff or the inner axle.

Did you notice any grinding when you drove it the 10 miles out? I'm guessing, but maybe the side gears on the diff or the inner axle.
yes, horrible sounds were coming from there. I really hope that its repairable.

That stinks, sorry man!

No time for you to disconnect the front driveshaft and remove the drive flanges before driving out?

I destroyed mine a couple of years ago but was able to drive home 300 miles in 2wd because of the steps performed above..

Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened, especially with the ARB in there. May I ask why you belief anything would be wrong with the transfer case?

No time for you to disconnect the front driveshaft and remove the drive flanges before driving out?

I destroyed mine a couple of years ago but was able to drive home 300 miles in 2wd because of the steps performed above..
I had some tools, but I didn't have the large wrenches needed to loosen up my UCA's, which totally sucks because I can pull an axel in like 15 minutes, this is honestly the first time I went wheeling packing "light", I wasn't expecting to hit such a difficult trail. I will probably pull the axels/ drive shaft so I can drive it to the dif shop.

You shouldn't have to pull the axles (and don't want to because it will allow all teh fluid to dump, etc), just remove the flanges.

Hub flange removal writeup

I had some tools, but I didn't have the large wrenches needed to loosen up my UCA's, which totally sucks because I can pull an axel in like 15 minutes, this is honestly the first time I went wheeling packing "light", I wasn't expecting to hit such a difficult trail. I will probably pull the axels/ drive shaft so I can drive it to the dif shop.

dishpan is no joke.

Seeing gear lube on floor makes me think you broke inner axle. If it came loose the alignment with the seal would be cockeyed allowing fluid leak. You may have gotten lucky.

update. I pulled the driver side flange and the drive shaft. I can drive around without the horrible noises now. Maybe it is just my inner axel? Although, the center diff needs to be engaged to move since I pulled the front drive shaft, is that normal?

update. I pulled the driver side flange and the drive shaft. I can drive around without the horrible noises now. Maybe it is just my inner axel? Although, the center diff needs to be engaged to move since I pulled the front drive shaft, is that normal?

With no front drive shaft you definitely require a locked center diff. Normal.
I think it's your ds axle. With the ps drive flange still connected you're still turning the diff (no noise may mean no damage), and the isolated ds axle is looking like the likely suspect.
Still sucks, but makes more sense.

You should be able to feel some looseness in CV of axles, while twisting on bench?
How are your splines (teeth) and bearing inside differential tube?

004.JPG

You should be able to feel some looseness in CV of axles, while twisting on bench?
How are your splines (teeth) and bearing inside differential tube?

View attachment 1313927
Ill need to check this out when I get home after work today. Thanks for the detailed picture.

update: I ordered a new Toyota front inner axle shaft, axle bearings and axle seal, $180 shipped thanks to @labcab and Toyotaonlineparts.com . Also ordered Nitro 4:88' gear set from @just differentials. I will be dropping off the LC @ the gear shop next Tuesday and hopefully its a quick fix! Keep you guys posted. I'm kind of bummed out I will not be able to drive my 100 on my camping trip, but at least I have a shop Tacoma I can use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom