No gear oil in the transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I gave up on it for this weekend. A big part of my problem is that I didn't have the right tools for the job. As some have pointed out, I didn't use a 6 sided socket. My impact driver doesn't fit in that space between the frame cross member and case, and I didn't have a correctly sized extension. I don't have a lift in my garage so I'm trying to do this while laying under my truck, makes for difficult chiseling. It's been pretty humid in my garage and kinda hot outside. I slept for only 8 hours the night before. I was once bitten by a garter snake when I was a kid.

I'm going to try and tackle this again later in the week, with better tools. If push comes to shove it'll give me an excuse to learn how to weld.

Thanks all.

This my be a rhetorical question, but you do have a replacement plug, right?

Good luck with getting it out.....Keep at it, perseverance will pay off!

Am I missing something about the garter snake incident biting Jr. and only 8 hours of sleep at night? I love me a good pair of vice-grips, for what it's worth.

heat it up and put a candle on top to melt the wax which will go into the threads. should pop right out without the use of a chisel.

It's finally loose. Worked on it intermittently for a week and nothing was working. Tried fire, hammers, penetrating oil, chisels, hammers, love, impact wrenches, tears, pipe wrenches... and then it just came off.

I'm getting new plugs all around.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

I replaced all my plugs with the kind that feature a hex hole for an Allen wrench. The plugs have magnets on the backside to attract shavings. Pretty sure I got them from Georg at Valley Hybrids. A worthy upgrade.

I replaced all my plugs with the kind that feature a hex hole for an Allen wrench. The plugs have magnets on the backside to attract shavings. Pretty sure I got them from Georg at Valley Hybrids. A worthy upgrade.
Do you have his contact info, and could you PM with it? I'd like to get some new plugs for my rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom