TOPO Maps - Software (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Kindle Fire HD 7" that i want to use for topo maps offline. What topo software/maps are you using? I searched but some of the posts were a bit old and not sure if the software mentioned was still current or useful.

I use Avenza PDF maps, I am on Apple but I think it's available for android also.

Edit: not sure if it's in the kindle App Store or not.

I use backcountry Navigator for maps/nav/tracking. This is a difficult program to learn and retain. However, it does work.

I am contemplating shifting to the Gaia platform as it may be much easier to learn/retain. Very positive opinions in the Expo world (mags/forums) for it. More research on my part for the possible switch.

Maplets is $3, but all the maps are free. Badass program, I like it more than anything else I've tried!!!

I am still using MotionX GPS HD. I haven't found anything better for the price. It's something like 3.99 is you want to load your own maps. Works great offline and the available maps are endless as long as they are available on the inter web. I usually stick with Google Terrain. Only downfall, which is a big one, is you have to spend a lot of time downloading maps for the area you are traveling and they take huge amounts of space. I usually spend a week before traveling making sure I have the maps I need, downloading a new map each night. I also have all other apps deleted from iPad to save space.
Another feature I haven't used yet is you can send your location to others if you have an account and have wifi/data on.

Give the new HEMA Navigator app a look, pretty cool features and owned by a Cruiserhead!

image.jpg

I looked at HEMA at EXPO and it looks to be the same as Gaia, Im I missing something?

Gaia format with HEMA maps and their ongoing commitment to mapping 4x4 routes in the U.S.

I like the HEMA app itself, and like the crowdsharing setup for sharing maps. Overall, lots of potential.

The basemaps aren't there yet....either downloading ridiculously large files, or living with limited zoom options. When you need detail due to multiple close routes, they fail. Had the opportunity at Summit to demonstrate my concerns, and it's on their list of things to figure out.

Backcountry Navigator is what I've used for years, and their downloadable basemaps (via OpenAndroMaps) is excellent with small file sizes and great detail. I have CO, UT, AZ, NV and NM all downloaded on my phone right now.

Screen shots....first is BCN, 2nd is HEMA...both from my Samsung S7 at maximum allowed zoom. MAJOR difference.

BCN:
Screenshot_20160827-082829.png

HEMA:
Screenshot_20160827-082856.png

Last edited:
I use Oruxmaps regularly. I have garmin vector maps loaded, but there are a ton of downloadable map options. It works well, does all the normal GPS functions, and is free.

Been using Gaia for about two years now (first track I recorded is dated 11/1/14) and it's been pretty darn good. Curious to check out the HEMA option, but since I already have Gaia, I've not really found the need.

I do volunteer work for Tonto National Forest, so quite a bit of it has been there (nearly 1,600 miles of dirt since April of this year alone). Maybe I need to focus on getting out more? :hillbilly:

22 months worth of tracks in AZ:
IMG_0353.PNG

Can you pick a map from inside Gaia and download the areas you plan on visiting or do you have to buy maps separately?

Can you pick a map from inside Gaia and download the areas you plan on visiting or do you have to buy maps separately?

You pick from several map formats from inside Gaia and download the areas you plan on visiting.

You pick and choose, you can also import them from outside sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom