Tacoma buying advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Longtime FJ60 owner here. Never owned a Tacoma.
My kid (28) is needing a good vehicle. I found a Tacoma with possibilities, but need some advice. Kid makes OK money in Boulder CO as a carpenter. Loves rock climbing, would use the vehicle for DD as well as possibly setting it up to sleep in while climbing.

The Basics:
1999 Tacoma extra cab
V6
4X4
5 speed
Bed cap
200,000 miles
Asking $7500

The Questions:

Seller says it's a TRD, but it has no badging to indicate that. What would have been included on a '99 TRD Tacoma?
What trouble areas should I be looking at?
KBB says this price is within reason - what say you?
How's the price?

Thanks
Richard

My 2000 TRD 5sp V6 came with the e-locker and firmer billstein shocks. I have a friend that has over 300,000 miles on his. Mine is just at 107,000. No major issues except a new starter and my ABS system is finicky so I just disconnected it. Many feel that this is the best model Tacoma. I use mine as an expo rig. Really gets me to some remote locations. I have heavily modded mine but have never touched the engine. Always have run Mobile 1 through it and Redline synthetic in the transmission and transfer case. My original clutch is still strong. Timing belt must be done every 100K. There is a reason they hold their value. There was a recall related to rust prone frames. No issues with mine in that it resides in California.

All TRD models from 98-04 that I have saw have had these options....

Bilstein shocks
Rear E-locker
V-6
Xtra cab and 4 door ONLY
Skid plates

Frame rust is the main issue with these trucks. You need to make sure the timing belt and water pump has been replaced. The water pump on mine started to weep around 160k, so I put a water pump and timing belt set on it. The belt still looked great, but the water pump weep scared me.

Adjustable coilovers, uniball UCAs, Deavers and 285s will make for a great daily driver and weekend warrior. Might want to look into re-gearing though. 285's and the stock gears (most like 4.10's) lack a little offroad. 4.88's would be my choice.

Happy Wheelin'.

Ask for the clutch and lower ball joints if they were done and when. Get a Carfax to make sure mileage and title is good.

There should definitely be TRD stickers on the bed- otherwise the truck is missing 5 HP for each sticker gone. The TRD trucks also had progressive rate coil springs in the front. Almost every TRD tacoma had front sagged springs within 100K. If you peek under there, the top few coils are most likely touching each other.

My 02 was Extra Cab TRD with a 3.4/5 speed. Rear locker, bilstein shocks, power windows/mirrors/locks, AC, etc.

The frames rot from the inside out so check very closely. They can look great one year and have holes coming through the next.
Check specifically where the front of the leafs mount to the frame on both sides of the frame rails. Also check where crossmembers and brackets are welded on- like around the sway bar brackets and steering rack. Get under there and smack those areas with ball peen hammer.
It might seem silly to do that to someones truck, but when you are looking to spend that kind of money on a 17 year old truck you have to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom