HDJ81 - HP Diesel Series 2 Intercooler Install & Review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little update: I recently completed a 2 week 2500km road trip through the mountains of British Columbia, pulling a small trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight of 3430kg (7550lbs).

The truck performed well with plenty of power but with stock 4.11 gearing and 35" tires it was necassary to drop into 3rd gear (auto trans) to keep the RPM's up and the EGT's down. I only exceeded 1200 degrees a couple of times while in 3rd and that was passing slower traffic pulling long steep hills.

The down side was wthout 3rd gear lock up the tranny temps start to rise so I was regularly shifting between 3rd and drive. At this point I will be addig a tranny cooler for towing and plan to regear in the future....

Bottom line I would not have been able to make this trip without the intercooler

Good to know. What route did you take? Curious, even down into 3rd, what speed were you able to maintain on the long steep grades?

I recently did hwy 3 to the kootenays, then back via kelowna on 97c to the Coquihalla. Without an intercooler I was down to 70 on some of the hills to maintain 1150ish degrees. Thinking an intercooler will be in my future.

With my fresh tune, 3rd gear I could carry 90km/h up the worst sections of the eastbound Coq holding EGT's at 1200F pre-turbo.

I imagine 3rd on an A443F would be close to 4th on your manual trans for comparison.

A little update: I recently completed a 2 week 2500km road trip through the mountains of British Columbia, pulling a small trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight of 3430kg (7550lbs).

The truck performed well with plenty of power but with stock 4.11 gearing and 35" tires it was necassary to drop into 3rd gear (auto trans) to keep the RPM's up and the EGT's down. I only exceeded 1200 degrees a couple of times while in 3rd and that was passing slower traffic pulling long steep hills.

The down side was wthout 3rd gear lock up the tranny temps start to rise so I was regularly shifting between 3rd and drive. At this point I will be addig a tranny cooler for towing and plan to regear in the future....

Bottom line I would not have been able to make this trip without the intercooler
Where are you going to mount the tranny cooler. I've got to do this now after buying the intercooler having read your review a few weeks ago!

Where are you going to mount the tranny cooler. I've got to do this now after buying the intercooler having read your review a few weeks ago!
I am actually just in the process of working that out. I know some people have mounted a trans cooler in the space between the rad and condensor but I dont want to do that. The only real spot left is below the intercooler, which puts it in front of the crossbeam / lower rad support, which will limit airflow. So I am looking at a trans cooler with built in fan like this:
.Remote Mount : 6 Pass Econo-Cool Remote Cooler, 11/32" Barb Inlets
I will also be using another Aubern guage and a temp sensor off the transmision and using the built in alarm feature of the Aubern guage to activate the fan.

Good to know. What route did you take? Curious, even down into 3rd, what speed were you able to maintain on the long steep grades?

I recently did hwy 3 to the kootenays, then back via kelowna on 97c to the Coquihalla. Without an intercooler I was down to 70 on some of the hills to maintain 1150ish degrees. Thinking an intercooler will be in my future.
Sorry I missed this one. I took hwy 3 & 3a from Lethbridge AB out to the Okanagan and then 97 & 97a north to Sicomous, hwy 1 east to Golden and then hwy 95 South back to hwy 3 to complete the loop.

I never needed to drop below 90kmh in 3rd gear on any hill to stay below 1200F and as mentioned that was grossing over 7500lbs!!. Just for refrence sake 3rd gear at 3000RPM is 100kmh with 4.11's and 35's

Will you please take a picture of your setup for where you run to test for boost? Unless I'm mistaken, the billet adaptor removed the location I was pulling from and also creating the vacuum for my exhaust brake.

Will you please take a picture of your setup for where you run to test for boost? Unless I'm mistaken, the billet adaptor removed the location I was pulling from and also creating the vacuum for my exhaust brake.
Boost is taken from the back of the billet adaptor and Tees off to the boost compensator before running back to the pressure sensors

20160530_114626.jpg

Hi all, just wanted to give a heads up that this kit will NOT work with the factory winch without modification. Figuring this out the hard way at the moment. Hoping i can move the whole unit up about 1/2 inch and get some clearance. I *think* the intercooler will fit, but it will likely require welding/tapping/cutting of various brackets, and hopefully nothing more. Will post updates when I figure it out.

IMG_1497.JPG

Hi all, just wanted to give a heads up that this kit will NOT work with the factory winch without modification. Figuring this out the hard way at the moment. Hoping i can move the whole unit up about 1/2 inch and get some clearance. I *think* the intercooler will fit, but it will likely require welding/tapping/cutting of various brackets, and hopefully nothing more. Will post updates when I figure it out.

View attachment 1312609
Damn. That's not good news.

Ugh!! Thats not good. Moving the intercooler up is going to cause lots of issues with the routing of the piping. As it it the clearance under the battery boxes is extremely tight and your also going to have clearance issues with the A/C lines to the condenser.
I'm not familiar with the mounting of the factory winch but wondering if it might be easier to move it??

I am actually just in the process of working that out. I know some people have mounted a trans cooler in the space between the rad and condensor but I dont want to do that. The only real spot left is below the intercooler, which puts it in front of the crossbeam / lower rad support, which will limit airflow. So I am looking at a trans cooler with built in fan like this:
.Remote Mount : 6 Pass Econo-Cool Remote Cooler, 11/32" Barb Inlets
I will also be using another Aubern guage and a temp sensor off the transmision and using the built in alarm feature of the Aubern guage to activate the fan.

I am curious as to where you will remote mount it, in a previous post I mounted it between the safari an condensor and up some hills around town I can easily get to 220 on my tranny, about 20 degrees hotter than before the intercooler install.... Which makes sense as I didn't think charged air would be THAT hot but when I touched the aluminum pipe to the cooler it's fu#%^ng hot!!!

Ugh!! Thats not good. Moving the intercooler up is going to cause lots of issues with the routing of the piping. As it it the clearance under the battery boxes is extremely tight and your also going to have clearance issues with the A/C lines to the condenser.
I'm not familiar with the mounting of the factory winch but wondering if it might be easier to move it??

Yeah that's what I was worried about. Hoping I can get some flexibility out of the silicone hoses, possibly drill the holes in the same spot but angle the pipes downward from the intercooler. Worried about rubbing/rattling though. Was it 100% necessary to remove the A/C lines in your case?

Factory winch is the biggest I've seen on a street rig and is bolted at multiple locations in the frame, and has its own crossmember underneath. No way I'm moving that thing, it's a beast!

I am curious as to where you will remote mount it, in a previous post I mounted it between the safari an condensor and up some hills around town I can easily get to 220 on my tranny, about 20 degrees hotter than before the intercooler install.... Which makes sense as I didn't think charged air would be THAT hot but when I touched the aluminum pipe to the cooler it's fu#%^ng hot!!!
That's helpful to know. I've gotta mount this thing somewhere good too. My wholesale automatics has gotten upwards of 280 and that was before intercooler as well.

There is hope... Upper brackets shortened, and drilled and tapped bottom brackets in to body. Definitely not as sturdy as drilling all the way through with the provided sleeves, but hoping locktite will keep them together. Would have welded them to the body, but brackets are stainless. Feels solid. Did not use cut factory center crossmember at all, just attached new crossmember directly to latch mechanism. Intercooler rests directly on winch electronics box, and Im hoping the contact will not cause issues. Will have to relocate winch solenoid doohickey that was below the passenger battery box. Will know more as I start to put it back together.

IMG_1513.jpg

Any of you guys have trouble with the hex head bolt? Is the adapter threaded or smoothe on yours? My bolt is way too short to bolt onto the enginr
I made it work with the original bot. Not too hard to get a wrench in there so long as you don't have the charge pipe connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom