Is there a 'best' year for FJs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just picked up a '12 FJ with 23K miles on it here in Oklahoma. I am stoked! Now I have a big brother to my '76 FJ40!

Mine is a driveway ornament now... 2013 w/13k on the clock, locked, 33s, and a 3" lift. Absolutely love it! But looking for another to play with. I turned down a 40K offer recently.

You won't regret it. Only thing I had to get used to was the feeling of driving around in a big football helmet.

J

p1020463-jpg.772738

Mine is the same color, Army Green. Just don't have all the fancy schmancy stuff on yet. But soon....very soon....

Mine is the same color, Army Green. Just don't have all the fancy schmancy stuff on yet. But soon....very soon....

The ARB (another raped buyer) rack is a 3 mpg whore and noisy! I highly recommend a low profile or flat rack up top. The lift and rack don't play nice with the Wyoming crosswinds.... The way it is pictured is the way I bought it from the dealer in Bossier City, LA. A customer ordered it and then backed out. Grill guard, ladder and steps are all looks, typical dealer add on stuff. Since I'm not going to ever wheel this rig and my window stickers show all the components I'm leaving them on.

Now if I get another one... many things will change..

J

I've also been looking at 2008s and really think I'd like the manual 6 speed. do you guys have the manual or automatic transmission, are there pros and cons? Thanks

I've also been looking at 2008s and really think I'd like the manual 6 speed. do you guys have the manual or automatic transmission, are there pros and cons? Thanks

I've heard from owners that manuals get worse MPG. Also with stock exhaust they sound more like lawnmowers than they do 4x4s.

MT's have slightly different gear ratios in the axles (3.90) vs. AT's which have 3.73. So it stands to reason that it has a little more oomph off the line and will crawl (ever-so) slightly better. If you regear your axles and go bigger tires, a moot point.
MT's are full time 4x4 with a Torsen style T-case, AT's are part time and both have a manual shifter for the tcase. Front axle is engaged by an actuated shift collar to the passenger side of the diff on the AT.

... AT's are part time and both have a manual shifter for the tcase. Front axle is engaged by an actuated shift collar to the passenger side of the diff on the AT.

A weak link in my experience (have had to repair or replace mine three times so far). Other than that, the AT is well built and easy to wheel with.

I loved my '08 Trail Teams and no regrets though it remained stock (which I recommend in your case). I considered it an off road/inclement weather sports car. Fantastic driver in snow and great fall bird hunting rig for going where most other hunters would not venture.

Just picked up a 2014 in Army Green and am in the same boat. My 2012 Iceberg was totaled in the recent flooding here in Louisiana. :crybaby:

Off Topic: Rhythmdoctor you are either cardiologist specializing in electrophysiology or really love music? :lol:

Interventional/electrophysiology RN here.

Just picked up a 2014 in Army Green and am in the same boat. My 2012 Iceberg was totaled in the recent flooding here in Louisiana. :crybaby:

Off Topic: Rhythmdoctor you are either cardiologist specializing in electrophysiology or really love music? :lol:

Interventional/electrophysiology RN here.
Music. Definitely my passion.

Now back to FJ Cruisers! I bought a house in January and probably shouldn't be thinking of ways to spend money but I still find myself wanting an FJ. Happy Sunday everyone.

Just a data point but I scored by 2008 Sandstorm 6-speed fully loaded with 59k miles for $18,000. The deals are out there but you have to be fast. I had people trying to buy it out from under me sight unseen by offering to send money Western Union. Fortunately the seller was a stand up (wealthy) Land Rover owner. Mine is pretty much a garage queen. Plan on owning it forever.

Eric

I feel I got a good deal, too. Couple a weeks ago, I got a 2007 'short-bus' yellow FJ fully loaded AT w/ 84000 miles for $17,000. I got to the car lot early and after a test drive, stuck the keys in my pocket (my wife was looking at other cars) and 3 salesmen asked If I had the keys because other people wanted to check it out. I still got the keys... LOL

Well, I'm officially selling my 89 FJ-62 to my brother-in-law. So now I'm on the hunt for a reasonably priced FJ Cruiser!

last year I bought my wife a 2012 with 45K miles for $30k out the door. I feel it was a fair deal, not a screaming one. fairly loaded. locker, woofer, rack, backup camera, etc. sat at the rover dealer so long the battery was dead and a tire bad. new tires, a rear bumper (for beef and a tow hitch) is all I've done so far. she loves it.

white rim 017.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom