Second Opinion on Price? 1996 w/ lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only you can make the decision. It looks like a nice vehicle and the price isn't bad. It's easy to fall in love with each one. I'd offer 1K less and see what they said.

great condition 150k and maintenance history? This sounds like one of the ones that gets a nice detail job and then sells on ebay for $18k :hillbilly:

Hornd...what's that and how's it work? Is it inexpensive and easy enough that I could hand it to Toyota on Saturday and say "Here guys, do this real quick for me during the inspection too, would you?"

Good score; $7000 would have been a better price, but if all the preventive maintenance is up to date and done right that is worth $2000 easy. I would have paid $9000 also.

The front door speaker cones deteriorate and fall apart (lots of water passes through the door cavities). The front speakers are a unique design; the cones point out or up instead of dipping in toward the magnets. So there's not much room to fit speakers, only about 1 7/8" depth to work with due to a metal channel for the window glass runs directly behind the speakers. Try a search for front+speaker+replacement and you'll find the threads.

I was feeling $7000-8000...but the ARB bumper, winch, and new (new) K02s meant that, with the factory lockers, I don't actually need to modify the rig at all currently. Just a new stereo/speakers, new keyless, and some darker tint. But that's it.

So all in all, I'd have spent more than the extra grand or two just in mods and tires. I actually feel more and more like it was a pretty fair price.

I'll search for the speaker replacement threads once I have this sweet baby in my hands, I appreciate the info on that.

Just read the description again, that combo of options, maintenance, condition and especially mileage would be REALLY tough to duplicate for the money. Hope you get that thing.
In the end it really only matters if you're comfortable with what you paid.
See my reply above...I totally did. I called him back after I got the first few replies here and said I'd take it. And the more I go over the options, the more I realize that the price is definitely fair, especially to me.

You got a smoking deal! Sure there will always be the people who find the "perfect" 80 series for 3k and say you got ripped off, but I have yet to actually see that happen. Enjoy the truck!

Well, hopefully the bank agrees. They're still processing the loan. I'm hoping they don't pull up KBB price (best on there was like 4700 bucks) and make a stink about the 9000 dollar loan. I'm hoping they pull up NADA which had some ridiculous price of 16500 bucks as the top end retail for a 96 on there.

There's a thread about that kicking around in this subforum. It's obviously a mess up on NADA's part, the 97s are normal, showing top dollar as likt 9-10000 bucks in excellent condition. But I'm hoping that pull that as book so there's no issue here.

*OP prays to Land Cruiser Jeezus*

If it goes through immediately replace the FULL coolant system with new OEM parts. Best way to insure keeping the HG happy. Even if you do a HG in the future you will want the fresh coolant system. I think this and fluids are the priority with these order trucks. Then probably berfields and some cheap stuff like fusable links.

OHHHHH...bank just called. They were like "We are getting about $3300 as a price on that...what options can we add?"

We got the financing amount up to about $6300 with tax/title/license included, but that means I'm going to have to use $3000 of other cash, which I didn't want to do.

No worries. It's coming to me unless the inspection goes badly on Saturday. I've got the money, the financing part is simply the cherry; it'd be nice, but not required. But if something happens, I'll put the info up here for others before I'd let *gasp* some fratboy get his hands on this bad bear.

My #1 rule for buying any Land Cruiser (200 series excluded): If I have to borrow any money for it, I can't afford it.

Don't get a locked 80

Price doesn't make sense and aftermarket lockers are stronger and faster

I was looking at that one for a friend of mine who is thinking about getting a cruiser (he's in Seattle, also doesn't realize the market for these moves fast). Based on the ad it looks like a great find at a great price. Don't totally fall in love just yet until you test drive and inspect it.

Don't get a locked 80

Price doesn't make sense and aftermarket lockers are stronger and faster
The price does make sense when you go to sell it. Try selling one without lockers and wait for the endless emails "Does it have the Factory Lockers?"

^^^ This 1000x In fact most of the ads for non lockers say that hoping to avoid the million emails that ask that very same question.

The price does make sense when you go to sell it. Try selling one without lockers and wait for the endless emails "Does it have the Factory Lockers?"

Do you really buy a land cruiser to sell it? I just keep buying land cruisers because I keep thinking that I need spare parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom