Can my '96 Cruiser drive 3 hours? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In the condition you describe, I would drive it to Panama and back.

I did just drive mine to Panama. All that went south was the A/C compressor bearing. 15k miles, plenty of disgustingly hot & humid days and mountain passes, and probably in retrospect bad o2 sensors. Oh, and we rolled it in the snow the first day. It still made it to Panama just fine.

I guess my question is, why are you not confident in your vehicle?

I don't blame you! I couldn't wait to get out of Texas either! Permanently!
I knew you were going to say something. :) The wife and I are to that point as well but we have four more years until the youngest is done with school. Then we are out, at least during the summer.

Bought my 93 with 242,000; Drove it to Texas and back to Kentucky 4 times in the first year. Cruise set @ 80 mph ( what else?). not a problem! @ 273,000 now. Original HG, Original PHH. It just goes and goes!

I knew you were going to say something. :) The wife and I are to that point as well but we have four more years until the youngest is done with school. Then we are out, at least during the summer.

I think I was rather reserved and polite!! :worms:

Amirite @LFD2037?!?!

1993. 315k miles. Original head gasket.

I drive a 12hr RT twice per month - about 600 miles per trip. The trip's even been done with the front diff out. :meh:

Well it sounds like you really don't know the condition of your vehicle. Just because it runs good doesn't mean it's in good mechanical condition. How do the fluids look? Tires, wheel bearings, hoses, belts, battery, brakes, air pressure, suspension, fasteners, clamps, steering, seals, gaskets, leaks? If you don't know the condition of these things neither do we, so it's kinda like Russian roulette their might be a bullet in the chamber their might not. You might make it, u might be paying for a 3hr tow bill.

yes, if you haven't encountered problems by now on 45 minute rides, you can drive it for 3 hours - why not try it out on the weekend ? - isn't there anything nice to visit in that distance from where you live ?

13mpg is actually pretty good for these trucks

what's this "sound" thing you are talking about ?

Yeah there's a lot of beautiful nature around here. And the nearest Walmart or big box store is about that distance away :p And the sound I"m talking about is the engine sound. It's so beautiful and deep sounding. I love it

Mine has 330K and change. It was a POS with a blown head gasket and #5 was toast. Changed the head gasket, had a spare head so threw it on there, and replaced all the stuff that was dry rotted and leaking. Did routine maintenance, and hit the Rubicon for a shake down. The next week it was driven 7000 miles to Alaska and back to Sacramento. Only issue was that a trans hose came loose and the A/C pulley was close to seizing because of water intrusion (Alaska is hard on stuff that doesn't like water).

The moral of that story is get your maintenance up to date and (all the stuff mentioned above) and drive it.

I drove my '97 with 200k over 1100 miles (18 hours) a few months back.

Have faith in it! After all it is a Land Cruiser, one of the most reliable vehicles in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom